Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller wont work??

randallfoster

Ok,

So two days into my first year with animated lighting I have a controller that has stopped working...

I am running a 16 channel show with two controllers... one for the front of the house and one for the back.

When I arrived home tonight, we were having a rainstorm and none of my lights were working... quickly I found the GFCI outlet on the back controller had tripped for some reason... Then I went and started working on the front controller.

The front controller has power, is picked up on the network, and the network light lights up solid... I am totally lost now. (at least I thought to buy an extra controller for just this type of emergency.

HELP!

yes. I disabled it and enabled it... nothing..

Then I disabled it and opened the hardware utility to do some testing... I have individual control over all of the channels in the back of the house- but none in the front light up.

Thought I would wake up early and swap out controllers this morning, but the damned rain is still coming... looks like I am looking at night #2 without lights...

randallfoster wrote:

do you mean the hard reset that you do by moving the jumper?

Yes, and you should check the fuses in the one not working.

So- this morning- I powered down- then re-powered the controller and it WORKED! But now my back controller isnt working...

Thinking I got some water in the Cat 5 splicer I used.. More later after I get home to fiddle with it..

Cat 5 splicer?

I would not recommend any type of connection that is not a complete cable from point to point. Each connection is a possible point of failure. I am assuming by splicer you are talking of one of those phone type connections with a jack on each end to make a longer cable.

This leaves the system to possible failure due to moisture/corrosion. As well as a possible poor connection.

Chuck

I eliminated the splicer... and the second controller altogether.

Re-addressed the controller and it worked!... then hooked back up the second controller without the splicer- blew the GFCI and lost both. (both were on the same circuit apparently- running through one GFCI (screwball electrician)).

Now I am back to working on just the front controller. It is running power off of another outlet. I can recognize it through hardware wizard- but it wont run the show... Looks like I am dark for another night. Once this rain subsides I will get my hands dirty working on it.

Noone told me this was so aggregating.

OK- so I replaced the controller with the new Gen. 3 one I had ordered and all is well... I'll need to troubleshoot the older controller when I get a minute- but hopefully I will find the issue...

It is the old blue board.. if anyone has any tips.

• 11 months later...

So I'm back and having problems with the old blue controller... It works great on my testing bench, but if I unplug it, and move it to where it will be mounted, it loses it's programmed channel.. I can take it back inside, run the hardware utility and reassign the channel to it and it works fine, but once I power it down and move it, it loses its channel...

Any ideas?

Stupid stupid stupid... This is the only board I have with the channel assignments on the board... I didn't realize they were there and jus found them... Think I fixed it. Thanks anyways guys

• Like 1

hello i have an older controller ctb16pc v 1 the red light stays on and the hardware uti will not refresh the unit it says 0 unit found and the firmware when i start it it says loading then stopscant get the controller do do much if anything any suggestions also what and how is the hard reset used for i have other controllers that have issues re set might work