Light-O-Rama Forums

Assembling the Controller

Guest guest

Hey, I was wandering about the hobbiest products sold at LOR. I bought 2 of the 1602s last year, but was thinking about the hobbiest products to create a larger unit. If I were to purchase 2 of the CTB-16D with heat sinks, could I put them in one container and link them together to make a 32 channel controller? Besides power plugs and recepticles, what else would I need to purchase? Just looking for some help on this. I love my two controllers and the ease of operation of them.

If I understand your question correctly ... assuming that you have an enclosure large enough to accommodate the controllers, you can put two in there. In fact, there are PC'ers out there who have very large enclosures on the side of their house with 2 or more units inside them.

Your not really making a 32 channel controller, in so much as you are putting 32 channels in one place.

If you can put two in there all you are really going to need to do is get a small cat 5 cable and put the two connected through that cable and then one that leads out of the container and one that has the incoming line from another controller.

I understand both of these responses, but can one of the controllers be the main controller for both or would it just be easier to run to programs (one to each controller) if I wanted to control 32 channels? If I link them together with cat 5 cable, and run it as stand alone, would it work? Sorry to have to ask these questions, but I just got into all of this last year and I am trying to catch up with the rest of you LOR smart folks out there.

If you are planning on running standalone with two controllers then the question of connection depends on the sequence(s) that you create.

If you plan on coordinating all 32 channels then download a sequence in ONE of the controllers. That controller will become the director and it will control both.

If you want two different 16 channel standalone things happening at the same time then download sequences into both units. In this case the sequence should only have events for the local controller. You do not need to keep them connected.

Remember: If you put a sequence into a controller that controller will attempt to transmit on the wire, any commands that do not have the same Unit ID.

Don wrote:

Nevermind this response ... Dan just answered everything ... (And since we can't delete our own posts, I had to do this!)

Don... I beat you this time... Thanks for all the help, You and Tim and the others that are taking the time to help folks are great! I know I really appreciate it and I am sure they do!