Light-O-Rama Forums

Help - Unable to access one of my controllers

Manti

Hoping someone can't help out. Just upgraded to 48 channels this year from 16 last year. I am daisy chaining the controllers using cat-5e 1>>2>>3 but neither the HWU or the Sequence editor see #3 when daisy chained. I connect the PC to the controller #1 via phone line.

For troubleshooting I've tried using different cat-5e cables from #2 to #3 and cat-5e instead of phone line to controller #1. The only time I could see #3 was if I went directly from the RS-485 adapter to #3.

I'm hoping I'm making some obvious mistake that is easy to correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Also a couple questions popped into my mind as I was troubleshooting.

1. Does controller #1 have to be the first in the chain or could I go #2>>#3>>#1?
2. If you use separate networks, e.g. Regular and Aux A., does that mean you need two RS-485 adapters?

Thanks,

Mike A.

Guest Don Gillespie

Manti wrote:

Hoping someone can't help out. Just upgraded to 48 channels this year from 16 last year. I am daisy chaining the controllers using cat-5e 1>>2>>3 but neither the HWU or the Sequence editor see #3 when daisy chained. I connect the PC to the controller #1 via phone line. this concerns me

For troubleshooting I've tried using different cat-5e cables from #2 to #3 and cat-5e instead of phone line to controller #1. The only time I could see #3 was if I went directly from the RS-485 adapter to #3.

I'm hoping I'm making some obvious mistake that is easy to correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Also a couple questions popped into my mind as I was troubleshooting.

1. Does controller #1 have to be the first in the chain or could I go #2>>#3>>#1?
2. If you use separate networks, e.g. Regular and Aux A., does that mean you need two RS-485 adapters?

Thanks,

Mike A.

Mike you have the RS-485 adapter plugged into the computer right, next you have a cat5 cable running from the RS-485 to contoller 1 is this correct? from controller 1 you have a cat5 cable going to controller 2 and then from controller 2 a cat 5 to controller 3, is this right? have you IDed the contollers 1 thru 3 through the HWU if you haven't you must ID them before you can daisy chain them together let us know these answers then we will go from there

Don, thanks for the reply.

Earlier as I was going through the troubleshooting I used the console in the HWU to turn on the lights for each unit. I did it with #1 and #2 in daisy chain mode but had to wait until I direct connected to #3 before it would work in the console. I did try #3 while it was daisychained but no joy. This leads me to believe each controller is correctly identified but I'll go through and reset the Unit IDs tomorrow again.

Mike A.

I located the problem. It was indeed something obvious though probably only to those that have been around when the blue board controllers were for sale. I bought one used and forgot that the ID is set manually. I was able to set the ID via the HWU directly but everytime I would power it off and back on it would return to what the switch ID was set at on the controller. Having limited my HWU to show only 5 controllers, it never detected the unit since the switches were set for unit ID 24.

Mike A.

That's why it is so important when asking for help with controllers to identify what kind you are using.

Yes, I have some blue boards, also