Light-O-Rama Forums

No red light flashing on unit 1

caniac

JBullard wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
I highly suggest you get a VOM and learn how to use it. You are past the Mr. Christmas stage and a VOM is your friend.

I highly suggest this comment, worded the way it is, was not appropriate.

I do agree that this hobby can be enhanced by having a basic knowledge of electricity (both for safety and trouble shooting), and some inexpensive basic electrical test equipment also helps.

I understand the benefits but it really isn't my forte, I am a programmer by trade and that is where I tend to focus my "talents". If it becomes a necessity then I will most likely hire an electrician. Our home is a 70's era house (with all the joy that comes with that) and come spring I have contracted with an electrician to replace my power panel so that I can have 2-3 times the dedicated GFCI circuits for my display.

My house is 50's era, and since I use LEDs, can run the whole display from only a couple 15 amp outlets.

In my case, switching to LEDs was cheaper then adding additional electrical capacity.

JBullard wrote:

My house is 50's era, and since I use LEDs, can run the whole display from only a couple 15 amp outlets.

In my case, switching to LEDs was cheaper then adding additional electrical capacity.

Without going into any real detail we have discovered all sorts of weird things over the past few years plus the existing power panel opens into the laundry nook (had to modify the cover so our front loaders would fit while allowing access to the breakers). Flipping it around to the other wall will give us room for four more dedicated breakers plus clean up a few wiring issues.

Guest Don Gillespie

Once you check the fuse you want to check to see what kind of amps you are drawing on each channel, a killo-watt meter is great for this, last year or the year before I can't remember, I was blowing fuses all the time on the contoller, I finally went and purchased a killo- watt meter I found that my old incadesent lights were the problem I took them out of the display replaced them with LEDS and the problem was fixed.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Once you check the fuse you want to check to see what kind of amps you are drawing on each channel, a killo-watt meter is great for this, last year or the year before I can't remember, I was blowing fuses all the time on the controller, I finally went and purchased a killo- watt meter I found that my old incandescent lights were the problem I took them out of the display replaced them with LEDS and the problem was fixed.
can that be found at Lowe's and if so what brand? Currently there isn't anything plugged into that controller, it was the last one for me to plug in. I usually plug them in and look for the red flashing LED and then move to the next.

Guest Don Gillespie

caniac wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Once you check the fuse you want to check to see what kind of amps you are drawing on each channel, a killo-watt meter is great for this, last year or the year before I can't remember, I was blowing fuses all the time on the controller, I finally went and purchased a killo- watt meter I found that my old incandescent lights were the problem I took them out of the display replaced them with LEDS and the problem was fixed.
can that be found at Lowe's and if so what brand? Currently there isn't anything plugged into that controller, it was the last one for me to plug in. I usually plug them in and look for the red flashing LED and then move to the next.

Are you looking for fuses or a killo- watt meter??

Make sure to check both fuses. I blew them last night and after looking at each one 3x, I noticed a small burn mark. I replaced that fuse, still no blinking light. Then I replaced the other one and it worked.

So replacing both fuses might be the answer. They are cheap too.

Consider this my Official Entry for the LOR Dunce Award 2011. Ran to Lowe's got 15A fuses, replace right side fuse, nothing, replaced left side fuse, nothing, then looked at the three outlet stake I have it connected to. The left side was 1/4 out and the right side was 3/4 out. IT NO BLINKY IF IT AIN'T PLUGGED IN.

The even sadder thing is I did this last year only the cable was not plugged in at the outlet.

Guest Don Gillespie

caniac wrote:

Consider this my Official Entry for the LOR Dunce Award 2011. Ran to Lowe's got 15A fuses, replace right side fuse, nothing, replaced left side fuse, nothing, then looked at the three outlet stake I have it connected to. The left side was 1/4 out and the right side was 3/4 out. IT NO BLINKY IF IT AIN'T PLUGGED IN.

The even sadder thing is I did this last year only the cable was not plugged in at the outlet.

Glad you got it working

Caniac,

I'm glad it is working for you. reading your last post made me giggle a little bit. :) By the way if you know they guy over at Lake Myra Christmas, I was about to post that you go see him. and ask if he could check the fuses etc.. for you. He is a very nice guy and is the one who got me into controlling my lights. I think he started his show up this past Saturday so he is sure to be outside if you went by. With that said, yours is working now so no need to ask him. LOL by the way you should get me your address so when I go to Lake Myra I can ride by and see your display as well. I live over near the Bunn/Youngsville area.