Light-O-Rama Forums

What would happen if...

MattRMayberry

After adding up the amps of my total light, I get about 12 amps.

I have install the two power chords to my controller for 30 amp.

What would happen if I plug in both ends to one 15 amp plug, instead of two 15 amp plugs as it is designed for?

Thanks in advanced!

MattRMayberry wrote:

After adding up the amps of my total light, I get about 12 amps.

I have install the two power chords to my controller for 30 amp.

What would happen if I plug in both ends to one 15 amp plug, instead of two 15 amp plugs as it is designed for?

Thanks in advanced!

People do that all the time (including myself)...will string a 16 gauge out with a 3 way on the end, plug both plugs from one controller and bridge off the 3rd outlet to another controller. Now, with you being close to 15 amps on 1 15 amp plug, I wouldn't bridge to a second controller but you should be fine.

Yes ok. Just to be clear, I only have one 16 residentail 30 amp controller.

This is my first year and Im super excited.

Can wait to start testing tomorrow night!

Matt, you will be fine, enjoy the glow :P
as a rule of thumb, do not plan on using more than 13 amps from your 15 amp circuit. You want to leave a little extra for things like voltage drop or the bad end on an extension cord that gets hot, the c7 light bulb that starts being a 100w light for it's last minute of life, or anything else that might spike it to over 15 amps.
remember 1 amp = 120 w, rule of thumb for incandescent lights is 1 w per bulb. my Walgreens LEDs say you can plug in 87 sets of 50 end to end, and the end to end has a 3 amp fuse, so with out a calculator all i can say is that's a lot of lights on very little power :)

Yep, like thevikester said...I have three controllers and my total current draw is just under 25amps. I use two 20amp outlets to power my three controllers. I have a total of five 20amp outlets on the side of my house each on it's own breaker. I am good for alot of future expansion. No matter what my wife says. :)

• 1 year later...