Light-O-Rama Forums

soldering circuit board problem

jjd35

I just finished putting my controller together and the first circuit doesn not do anything. All the rest of them work fine, I dont see anything that looks like its burned out all the connections seem to be fine. Any suggestion to my problem

2 things come to mind.

The triac is bad. The second thing that comes to mind is...are you sure you have the opto the white chip in correctly. On the left side of the board they orient one way on the right side of the board they are 180 degrees different from the left.

Chuck

I took the board apart and 1 pin on the white chip looked like it didnt have as much soder as the other pins so I added soder to it and the board worked. Thanks for the quick replays to my post.

jjd35 wrote:

I just finished putting my controller together and the first circuit doesn not do anything. All the rest of them work fine, I dont see anything that looks like its burned out all the connections seem to be fine. Any suggestion to my problem

Did you build the board, or get a kit with a ready-made board and just add cords?

I ask as that is the second one of late where it appears to be an opto with a cold solder joint..

Have you tried a reset of the board? Assuming it is a pc kit, power down, remove the jumper across the second row of pins on the header, wait 30 seconds, replace the jumper, power back up, reset unit ID.

If a reset doesn't work, likely it is a bad solder connection, or maybe an opto flipped on the first channel.

Do a good once over on parts placement, and take a good look at your solder connections, whether or not they look ok, reheat the triac, 220 ohm resistor, and the opto.

Once you do that, if not resolved, we can work from there.