Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring Distances between devices

Frybread

Time is getting close and my ligths are all up and wired..... Just waiting on controllers to show up. Which brings be to my question.

What is the minimum CAT 5 wire distance between controllers?

I have also ordered the Mini (Non powered) mDM-MP3 Show director. Is there a minimum distance between it and the first contoller?

I ordered the EDM FM Transmitter. how far does it need to be from the controllers and/or power wires to not get interference.

Thank You,

minimum distance i don't think thee is one. however maximum distance from mdm-mp3 to first controller i would keep at under 25feet as for controller to controller i don't think I have seen any problems with long range. the EDM shouldn't effect controllers much.

I have actually gone 75' between controllers without any issues. Did this when I was in a house, 2 controllers were on the garage (outide wall) within 20' of each other, then my FM Transmitter and DC-MP3 Showtime Director was mounted next to the garage door around the corner from the garage controllers that was cabled to it, then the DC-MP3 Showtime Controller then went to 2 other controllers on the wall outside the den, which were about 60' from the garage mounted FM XMTR/DC-MP3 Director unit, then the last controller was all the way at the other end of the front of the house and this was 75' away from the closest controller mounted on the wall outside den.

Ran my Christmas show from Thanksiving night through Jan 1. 2010 in this manner, never had a single issue with the controllers talking to each other and controlling the display elements.

Let me explain.

I am looking at putting 2 controllers in a box... And then put a shelf above that for the mDM-MP3 and the EDM-FM on that shelf so everything is in one 2 ft by 4 ft box.

I was worried about NEXT or Cross-talk between devices.

Thanks

Frybread wrote:

Let me explain.

I am looking at putting 2 controllers in a box... And then put a shelf above that for the mDM-MP3 and the EDM-FM on that shelf so everything is in one 2 ft by 4 ft box.

I was worried about NEXT or Cross-talk between devices.

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem. My current set up of my controllers are 4 outside, 1 inside and directly below my FM XMTR/DC-MP3 Director in its own box. The ones outside are directly next to each other, about 3" INCHES apart, the inside controller is about 5-6 inches from the transmitter/DC-MP3 Director unit. Cat5 cables are about 2-4' in length except for the one coming from the outside controllers to the Director, then about 3-4' cat5 from the Director to the inside controller. Some of the cat5 is coiled, but away from any electrical/power cables with the exception of the one that is going out the window to the outside units. That cable is about 25' long, possibly 50' long.

Been operating the display since 11/2 and no issues with this years (2011) set up, I'm in an apartment for the moment and so things had to be "condensed" when it came to the controllers, transmitter and director unit.

No problems at all. So I think you should be fine as long as the cat5 cable isn't tied directly to any power/electrical cords.

A Lot of my contollers are in the same box, and I use 6 inch Cat5 cables.

You might want to keep the EDM as a couple feet away from the other stuff if you can, but you may not have any problems. Only way to know is to test it.