Light-O-Rama Forums

Ehternet port

Linda

My husband tripped over a cord this evening and must have gotten tangled up in the ethernet cable going to two controllers. I was having trouble finding all the controllers in the hardware console and discovered that when he tripped he pulled an ethernet port loose from the board on two controllers. Can they be soldered back in place? Please tell me that they can be fixed.

Not sure how many controllers you have, but you can make it last in the chain and then you only need one connector and you can fix it later...

I've pulled out a port once and was able to put it back in successfully. The "pulling out" part was just the little black tips that are seated in the board, so they went back in. Did it break off?

I know that my advise is kind of late for this time. But in the future, do as I do and it could very well prevent grief next time someone trips through your display. I always make my cables about 5 to 6" longer and then with my controllers mounted to a post. I take the Cat 5 cable and tie it to the metal stake before routing the wire up into the controller. Hopefully the cable will snap, or the perp will do a one point landing on their schnoz. But at least my controller wont be damaged and a Cat5 cable is not hard to replace. As to the schnoz, well they will heal and the show will go on.

No Randy, it didn't come completely off of either controller. One of the little black tips did break off of one but the soldered wires seemed to be intact. I don't know why we can't get one of them working but just thankful we did fix one and can use the one we couldn't fix for the last one like you said. I was wondering if a splitter would work and, although I don't need one now, I'm going to get one and just see if it will work

Linda,

If you wish to use a splitter. The unit LOR has is the only option that will work. A regular phone line splitter will not work reliably if at all. Keep in mind although LOR chooses to use Cat 5 wiring and the JR45 jacks, this is NOT ethernet communications.

Depending on your experience in soldering to replace a jack is not a difficulty process. I have had a bad jack, email LOR and they sent out what I needed. Repair done in short time. Also may not be a bad idea to place a dab of silicone sealer/caulk on the board to aid in holding the jack in place. With the jack installed and soldered in place. Apply the silicone caulk/sealer at the base of the jack and onto the board.

Chuck

bisquit476 wrote:

Although it won't help you now, with this board, my suggestion for the future would be this RJ45 adapter:

I use a "ton" of those. Found another supplier that was a dollar or two cheaper then Pacific Wireless, will try to find a link. Bought about 50/60 couple years ago.

Linda, I did the same thing with my #1 controller last year. now it is the last controller on the chain, and I wire tie the cat 5's to the post that I mount the controller on, and leave a loop inside the controller case just to be safe.

JBullard wrote:

bisquit476 wrote:
Although it won't help you now, with this board, my suggestion for the future would be this RJ45 adapter:

I use a "ton" of those. Found another supplier that was a dollar or two cheaper then Pacific Wireless, will try to find a link. Bought about 50/60 couple years ago.

Yup, I use these. They are great, but I still managed to break one of those by tripping on the cable (better than breaking the LOR though). So Max makes a good point about tieing down the cat5 externally to something nearby.

All of the controllers I have seen built by LOR have used hot glue to help secure the top side where the black tabs are. That way its not just the solder holding the connector into place. I have gone though and glued all of my connectors that were not already done by LOR. I have damaged two now by just trying to disconnect the cat 5 cable. Good Luck!

I don't tie my cat5 down. I just run it through some 3/4 inch gray PVC conduit on any walkways or any place that I might walk.

Cheap insurance in my opinion, and yes I have a lot of controllers and use a lot of cat5

just drill a couple of 3/4 inch holes (if I remember correctly) in the side or bottom. (not the top) They come with rubber weather seal gaskets.

These were designed for the telecommunications industry to use in remote locations, and are extremely weather tolerant and very rugged.

JBullard wrote:

bisquit476 wrote:

Did you have any luck with that link? I am looking for some of these at the moment.

Many thanks.