Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about C9 bulbs

Linda

I've decided at the last minute to line the roof with two colors. Each color uses 5 stringss of C9 bulbs (incandescent). All the lights are incandescent. the other lights on that side of the controller (channels 1-8) consist of 1200 icicle lights on one channel, 10 strobe lights on one channel, sleigh and reindeer consisting of 5 18 foot rope lights (don't really have to put those on the controller but would like to), Two 100 count mini light snowflakes on separate channels and one free channel. Channels 9-16 consist of 7 100 count mini light snowflakes and a star that has 7 strands of C9 bulbs. Last year I ran the same set up (except for the rope light) and used 5 strands of C9 bulbs on the roof and didn't have any problems. I don't know how to do the calculations on power consumption. Can someone tell me if 10 strings of C9's and 5 18 foot rope lights would be too much to put on one leg of the controller. The last thing I want to do is blow a fuse on the controller. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok as long as all 10 strings of C9's are not on at the same time, but that will mean I have to go back and redo my sequences on those two channels. Was just wondering if I can run all that on the same side of the controller. The controller I'm using is the one that comes with the starter package. Sure hope someone can help me out so I can start redoing my sequences if I need to so that all 10 strings of C9's are not on at the same time.

Guest Don Gillespie

Linda wrote:

I've decided at the last minute to line the roof with two colors. Each color uses 5 stringss of C9 bulbs (incandescent). All the lights are incandescent. the other lights on that side of the controller (channels 1-8) consist of 1200 icicle lights on one channel, 10 strobe lights on one channel, sleigh and reindeer consisting of 5 18 foot rope lights (don't really have to put those on the controller but would like to), Two 100 count mini light snowflakes on separate channels and one free channel. Channels 9-16 consist of 7 100 count mini light snowflakes and a star that has 7 strands of C9 bulbs. Last year I ran the same set up (except for the rope light) and used 5 strands of C9 bulbs on the roof and didn't have any problems. I don't know how to do the calculations on power consumption. Can someone tell me if 10 strings of C9's and 5 18 foot rope lights would be too much to put on one leg of the controller. The last thing I want to do is blow a fuse on the controller. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok as long as all 10 strings of C9's are not on at the same time, but that will mean I have to go back and redo my sequences on those two channels. Was just wondering if I can run all that on the same side of the controller. The controller I'm using is the one that comes with the starter package. Sure hope someone can help me out so I can start redoing my sequences if I need to so that all 10 strings of C9's are not on at the same time.

Linda I can't remember the equation watts divided by amps not sure have you been able to pick up a killo watt meter what that does is tell you exactly what each strand is drawing they are around 20 or 30 bucks but one of the best investments you can have, I will go back and look for the calculator for the things you are looking for unless someone beats me to it ;)

C9 (7 watt bulbs)

C7 (5 watt bulbs)

Standard mini-lights (0.41 watt bulbs)

Second here’re the formulas using 120 for household voltage

watts = 120 * amps

amps = watts / 120

A string of 25 C9s would be (25 bulbs * 7 watts/bulb) / 120 = 1.46 amps

A string of 50 C7s would be (50 bulbs * 5 watts/bulb) / 120 = 2.08 amps

A string of 100 mini-lights would be (100 bulbs * 0.41 watts/bulb) / 120 = 0.34 amps

• Like 1

The newer C9's seem to use 5 watts -- maybe it is the brand that I have.

I highly recommend the C9 LED retro's that they sell at CDI, they are dimmable and use less that 1 watt each.

Jerry

• 7 months later...

i have to agree replace the standard C9 's with the retrofit LED C9 's i'm planning this with the C9 strings i have : note make sure they 're dimmable LED 'S

i had several peeps tell me this

yea that's true it also depends on if you are going to have statics as well as controlled lights in the display or not

That was a lot of info about what is where on your controller. But there are other ways to skin a cat that might have a favorable ending. You could shift things around on your controller. Lets say you have two circuits that draw a lot of current. Yet the other 14 circuits draw less than an amp each. Instead of the two high wattage circuits being on the same side of the board. Put one on the left side and the other on the right side. This would be simple to do even if you have a dozen sequences. Note what is moved around on the board. Then go into your sequences and just re-assign those items to their new channels.

quick question what company are you referring to as CDI ???

i'm planning to replace the standard C9 's with LEDs'

I do not see that they are dimmable though. I sent them a question about it and am waiting on an answer.

They are dimmable. From the site:

STATIC AND DIMABLE COLORS AVAILABLE. {Choose the color with the drop down menu on the right.}

appreciated the link

i added it to the other sites i'v collected so far

i'll check it out later

thanks

appreciated the link

i added it to the other sites i'v collected so far

i'll check it out later

thanks

While you are collecting links, Here's another that I have been happy with in the past. It's a Michigan based reseller that has the best prices I've seen so far (if you are talking cost per bulb). The lights that I recieved in the past have been good quality also. (knock on wood) http://www.holiday-light-express.com/ The only catch that i've found so far is that they only sell led mini lights. no c9 or c7 replacements.

Hope that helps!

Brandon H