Light-O-Rama Forums

s3 control panel causing windows xp to lock up?

mbettez

bob wrote:

JonB256 wrote:
I don't want to start a fan war, but my two AMD computers never exhibited the memory leak and lockups with 3.1.2

those of you having problems, are you running Intel systems or was it more of an XP problem?

The underlying problem does not depend upon the operating system or the chip manufacturer. It's possible that some systems are able to handle that problem happening for a longer amount of time before symptoms occur, but it happens regardless.
thanks for the quick fix, I appreciate it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• mbettez

• CK57

• WhitePlainsNY

Downloading now... system was locked up solid..wouldn't let me even shutdown (said I didn't have permission). Will post tomorrow if it fixed the issue.

Thanks for the quick turn around!!!

I thought my laptop that I'm running my show on was having some sort of seizure every night so far. This is my first year doing anything like this, and I only have two controllers. My laptop freezes up completely about 2 1/2 hours into the show. I am seeing the exact same symptoms that others have mentioned... not even being able to restart the computer because I "dont have permission", etc. I'm only running seven songs to start with, and the sequences and music files are all in the default locations.

One thing curious I noted in my error logs from last night: The show said it was entering shutdown, and then started right back up. When it tried to play the first song in the list, it claimed that the "paging file was too small". It then listed that error for every other song as it tried to load them.

On some previous nights, the errors were different, more along the subject of it couldn't find the sequence files, or a random DLL file, etc.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? For tonight's show, I went in and manually increased the paging file to 4gb (it was at 1.5gb).

The whole way it locks down the computer and keeps you from loading the task manager is really strange.

jpowersok wrote:

I thought my laptop that I'm running my show on was having some sort of seizure every night so far. This is my first year doing anything like this, and I only have two controllers. My laptop freezes up completely about 2 1/2 hours into the show. I am seeing the exact same symptoms that others have mentioned... not even being able to restart the computer because I "dont have permission", etc. I'm only running seven songs to start with, and the sequences and music files are all in the default locations.

One thing curious I noted in my error logs from last night: The show said it was entering shutdown, and then started right back up. When it tried to play the first song in the list, it claimed that the "paging file was too small". It then listed that error for every other song as it tried to load them.

On some previous nights, the errors were different, more along the subject of it couldn't find the sequence files, or a random DLL file, etc.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? For tonight's show, I went in and manually increased the paging file to 4gb (it was at 1.5gb).

The whole way it locks down the computer and keeps you from loading the task manager is really strange.
what version are you running? try installing 3.1.4 and see if that helps.

For some reason my brain blinked and I thought I already was running 3.1.4 on the laptop that controls the lights. I was still running 3.1.2. I just uninstalled the old version and installed the new one. I started my show early today, since I'm home, to see if it quits after running for a while.

Has this upgrade worked for pretty much everyone else?

jpowersok wrote:

For some reason my brain blinked and I thought I already was running 3.1.4 on the laptop that controls the lights. I was still running 3.1.2. I just uninstalled the old version and installed the new one. I started my show early today, since I'm home, to see if it quits after running for a while.

Has this upgrade worked for pretty much everyone else?
has for me, there wasn't a need though to uninstall 3.1.2 because the installer would have simply upgraded it to 3.1.4

jpowersok wrote:

Thanks for the info Caniac. My show ran fine tonight.
Same here, two nights straight and no issues (other than a GFCI issue I need to trace but that isn't LOR related).

YES!! Guess they found the leak and plugged it in 3.1.4. Two nights straight and it keeps running like the energizer bunny! I'd pull previous versions off the website if I were you guys and post some big note telling people they seriously need to upgrade to the latest version.

I switched back from my laptop to my show computer and the first night started with no issues using 3.1.4. Still several hours to go, I'll report back with its results.

Whew! The whole night and no problems! Issue resolved! Thank you LOR! Now I'm free to create problems caused by myself!

I was at work today and was confronted by a someone asking why all my lights and sign turn off in the middle of a song for a few seconds.... I was so confused! I never saw it do that! Sure enough, tonight I was out trying to get some video and It locked up for a few seconds on at least every other song... well that's embarrasing, Ive had well over 200 cars stop over the past couple nights! (my display is a massive RGB, lol).

Will try upgrading tonight :)

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

Whew! The whole night and no problems! Issue resolved! Thank you LOR! Now I'm free to create problems caused by myself!
my thoughts exactly, still have the minor show issue but they are self induced.

So I upgraded to 3.1.4 (after a little mishap of downloading a V2 software first)...

I thought everything was going fine tonight, and was just about to come in from watching the lights and it happened again... It was in the middle of a song and all the lights froze as they were, then about 1 sec later everything, including the inflatable motors and radio sign turned off (plugged into an LOR channel-always on for show duration). The lights were only off for about 6 seconds, same as before update.

I came inside and opened up the task manager and watched the CPU and memory usage... CPU never went over 60%, and memory never went over 40% (I have some other stuff running too).

Any suggestions?

ace_master wrote:

So I upgraded to 3.1.4 (after a little mishap of downloading a V2 software first)...

I thought everything was going fine tonight, and was just about to come in from watching the lights and it happened again... It was in the middle of a song and all the lights froze as they were, then about 1 sec later everything, including the inflatable motors and radio sign turned off (plugged into an LOR channel-always on for show duration). The lights were only off for about 6 seconds, same as before update.

I came inside and opened up the task manager and watched the CPU and memory usage... CPU never went over 60%, and memory never went over 40% (I have some other stuff running too).

Any suggestions?
I would look at the other stuff you have running, I have an old XP Pro laptop that is only used to run my show and after 3.1.4 all is good. did you install the V2 software or just download it? if you installed it then you might have needed to uninstall and remove the folders before installing 3.1.4.