Light-O-Rama Forums

s3 control panel causing windows xp to lock up?

mbettez

ok day 5 with no clean run from 5pm until 11pm.

The latest thing I have tried is disconnected the laptop from the internet both wired and wireless. Turned OFF Kapersky virus scanner (no internet no virus vulnerability).

Next I went into the sequence folder, the ONLY things in there are the *.lms files for my sequences and the *.lss file for the show. EVERYTHING else in the folder was moved offline.

Previously I had all of this stuff in a folder called C:LORChristmas2011. Kept blowing errors about not being able to find this sequence or that media file when both existed and the sequence was properly configured.

This really stinks, hope I am not gonna end up posting "day 29 and still no clean run . . . . . . . . . .".

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• mbettez

• CK57

• WhitePlainsNY

Same thing here. I am using new PC formatted with xp pro sp3 and running just s3 3.0.2. My issue is when the control panel runs, after a few hrs, the PC is unusable. Task manager will not open. Logoff and then back on, reload lor control panel, things are fine. Shows do not kick off on schedule, when time comes to start, status says cannot access the builder file. Once restarting control panel of lor, show starts and runs fine.

The PC is bare except for the OS and LOR. Seems I should revert versions? By the way, clean install of this s3 version, no prior one was installed.

Removing Windows Command line did not fix. Shows ran OK during evening, and shut down as scheduled. Went out at 5 AM to check status and lost all COMS, LOR Control Panel not responding. Not able to close programs and have to hard power off. Restarted PC and show coms are in ready position. I too cannot do this every night/morning. There is a bug in the 3.12 release in regard to Simple Show builder. I have 8 meg of ram and that may be helping me get thru the shows at least. I am using 3 networks, of which two have Isolated Adaptors. This is with Windows 7, no wireless mouse. Is anyone having the same problems using a show schedule not built with the Simple Show Builder?

Whew!!! I though I was the only one with this issue, and I just figured it was the older Pent 4 computer I was using. But after seeing several other people having the same problem, then it must be something Bob will need to have a look at. Possibly it's a memory leak in the LOR control panel?

Mine kept locking up so I switched it to the laptop that I use for sequencing. I just gave up trying to find the issue on the show computer.

JD Schuck wrote:

So you used the Show Editor and Show Scheduler and not the Simple Show Builder?
I do because I want a certain sequence to only play at the beginning of my show and then the rest to loop. It is my understanding that Simple Show Builder has the same issues.

I use show editor and show scheduler, not simple show builder. It's strange because it froze up last night at 5pm when the first show started, I reset the computer and it ran fine the rest of the night. We'll see if it freezes at 5 again tonight.

mbettez wrote:

I use show editor and show scheduler, not simple show builder. It's strange because it froze up last night at 5pm when the first show started, I reset the computer and it ran fine the rest of the night. We'll see if it freezes at 5 again tonight.

Wow...this has got me freaked out...I have my show built, but haven't run it yet, probably better plug in the adapter and let it run tonite without the lights on...Big release on Saturday, have 75 people coming over for open house...a freeze up would not be good.

thevikester wrote:

mbettez wrote:

Wow...this has got me freaked out...I have my show built, but haven't run it yet, probably better plug in the adapter and let it run tonite without the lights on...Big release on Saturday, have 75 people coming over for open house...a freeze up would not be good.
it seems isolated to 3.1.2, if you are on a prior version you should be ok.

caniac wrote:

thevikester wrote:
mbettez wrote:

I'm on 3.1.2 is there a way to get back to an older version??

thevikester wrote:

caniac wrote:
thevikester wrote:
mbettez wrote:

have you done any sequencing since upgrading? seems this only affects 3.1.2 so if you have 3.0 then you might be able to go back to that and be ok.

caniac wrote:

thevikester wrote:
caniac wrote:
thevikester wrote:
mbettez wrote: it seems isolated to 3.1.2, if you are on a prior version you should be ok.

have you done any sequencing since upgrading? seems this only affects 3.1.2 so if you have 3.0 then you might be able to go back to that and be ok.
Yes...I've done a fair amount of sequencing with the upgrade. Damn...stressed and I haven't even had the issue yet!

thevikester wrote:

caniac wrote:
thevikester wrote:
caniac wrote:
thevikester wrote:
mbettez wrote: it seems isolated to 3.1.2, if you are on a prior version you should be ok.

Yes...I've done a fair amount of sequencing with the upgrade. Damn...stressed and I haven't even had the issue yet!
you could try installing 3.0 on another pc and bring your sequence over. see if it loads in the editor, if it does and runs then you might be ok. I really don't know for certain if the changes from 3.0 to 3.1.2 impacted the sequences. You wouldn't think so but I didn't write this software.

you could try installing 3.0 on another pc and bring your sequence over. see if it loads in the editor, if it does and runs then you might be ok. I really don't know for certain if the changes from 3.0 to 3.1.2 impacted the sequences. You wouldn't think so but I didn't write this software.
I wouldn't think the sequences themselves would have any bearing on the outcome, just the version they are being played on. If I move my license to another computer, wouldn't they automatically give me the most recent version...don't think I can specify anything lower?

thevikester wrote:

I wouldn't think the sequences themselves would have any bearing on the outcome, just the version they are being played on. If I move my license to another computer, wouldn't they automatically give me the most recent version...don't think I can specify anything lower?
if you don't have the lower version you would need to find it.

Actually on my old laptop, which has its own issues, does have an older version...best dig it up for standby purposes! Thanks Man!

All the versions from 3.0.0 and up just fix various problems some have been having, so if you sequenced using new features of v3+ and you stick with at least the lowest version of 3 that has those features (grouping, etc) then you should still be good. Go to the LOR website, Software, Downloads page and you can pick from any of the previous versions.:

http://www.lightorama.com/SoftwareDownloadPage.html

If your show computer is not being used for anything else, it should not be connected to your network. Disable the wifi, unplug the ethernet cable and let it sit by itself and stew.. Run ONE FULL viurus scan on it, then disable your antivirus. Disable any and all screen savers or any type of power savings add-on. Disable any and all Windows or MS program Updates too.

Biggest thing about moving those file folders between computers.. You really HAVE to (or SHOULD) stick with the program default locations... using LOR Christmas2011, etc or anything NOT what the Show player is expecting is asking for problems.. Light-O-Rama installs in your Documents folder, thats where is looks for the sequence and audio folders.. you may see LOR folders in x: ProgramFiles folder but thats the program and libraraies themselves, not the expected repository of the data it plays. And the SimpleShowBuilder can NOT be pointed to any other folder!! ..so if you look in the SSB to add your brand new sequence you've spent weeks on and it's NOT there, thats why. Just be warned.. Use the defaults, eliminates LOTS of headaches, ..thinning hair, long faces, bad breath, gout.. ok, I'm just kidding about the long face..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

All the versions from 3.0.0 and up just fix various problems some have been having, so if you sequenced using new features of v3+ and you stick with at least the lowest version of 3 that has those features (grouping, etc) then you should still be good. Go to the LOR website, Software, Downloads page and you can pick from any of the previous versions.:

http://www.lightorama.com/SoftwareDownloadPage.html

If your show computer is not being used for anything else, it should not be connected to your network. Disable the wifi, unplug the ethernet cable and let it sit by itself and stew.. Run ONE FULL virus scan on it, then disable your antivirus. Disable any and all screen savers or any type of power savings add-on. Disable any and all Windows or MS program Updates too.

Biggest thing about moving those file folders between computers.. You really HAVE to (or SHOULD) stick with the program default locations... using LOR Christmas2011, etc or anything NOT what the Show player is expecting is asking for problems.. Light-O-Rama installs in your Documents folder, thats where is looks for the sequence and audio folders.. you may see LOR folders in x: Program Files folder but that's the program and libraries themselves, not the expected repository of the data it plays. And the SimpleShowBuilder can NOT be pointed to any other folder!! ..so if you look in the SSB to add your brand new sequence you've spent weeks on and it's NOT there, that's why. Just be warned.. Use the defaults, eliminates LOTS of headaches, ..thinning hair, long faces, bad breath, gout.. ok, I'm just kidding about the long face..
I hear and understand BUT was told "go ahead no big deal, just use this **insert utility name here** and tell it the new location. At the time it seemed like a good idea, just backup LOR and I would get Halloween2011 and Christmas2011.