Light-O-Rama Forums

s3 control panel causing windows xp to lock up?

mbettez

Ok, I'm at work right now so don't have all the details but wanted to post this to see if anyone else is having the problems.

Computer has a complete reinstall of windows xp. LOR 3.1.2 is only thing running besides standard windows software. Never had this problem with the computer before upgrading to LOR 3.0. The problem is just leaving the lor control panel in the task bar I come back in the morning and the computer won't respond. The mouse moves the cursor but clicking either left or right mouse on any other icon besides lor does nothing. alt+ctrl+delete won't bring up task manager. The only way to use the computer again is to right click lor control panel and unload the control panel then the computer works again so this leads me to believe the problem is lor.

I'm starting to get very nervous because I've been so busy sequencing and setting up lights I haven't had time to work on this. I need to let the light show run the next few nights to be sure the computer doesn't freeze and screw up my light show.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'll get more specific error codes tomorrow when I get home.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• mbettez

• CK57

• WhitePlainsNY

I've having the same problem, same parameters as you stated. I have been working on other issues so I haven't seen if it's consistant yet. Tomorrow is the first full test run of a scheduled show so I'll find out when I get home later in the evening.

No, haven't seen it myself nor heard of anyone else having it.

I never (well, almost never)close the control panel or unload the program.

You say you did a reinstall of XP ? Have you gotten all of the updates for it? What service pack is your XP showing?

xp pro sp3, all windows updates. The only extras running is MS securit essentials and activehome for x10 needs. Never had this problem before 3.0 and nothing else has changed. I really hope the show schedule works.

mbettez wrote:

xp pro sp3, all windows updates. The only extras running is MS securit essentials and activehome for x10 needs. Never had this problem before 3.0 and nothing else has changed. I really hope the show schedule works.

I am using XP Pro Sp3 and none of your issues. My computer has Essential but not the X10 program.

Maybe try running the computer without the X10 program and see what happens.

In trouble shooting, only change one thing at a time and see if it makes a difference.

This is only a suggestion.

I just had a similar issue with windows 7. Ran a show for 11:45, LOR ran the shutdown as scheduled and then the PC locked up. LOR never started the next show. I had to shut LOR down. No error message.

This is a new PC, windows 7 with all updates applied.

Solved?? I think I may have found my culprit!

The odd thing was that I couldn't duplicate the problem when I was sitting in front of the PC. My show is 5 1/2 hours long so I tried to see if it could lock it up with a single, 30 second test sequence show. It worked like a charm so I tried to have the test show show run multiple times but that worked too. Then I thought, "If a small show, needing few computer resources runs, why doesn't my big show run?" The PC has 1.25 GB RAM...that shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is that someone had limited the memory usage settings with custom settings. After I changed them (see below), I scheduled progressively longer shows last night and early this morning to see if they would stop. I left the house this morning and it was playing the 4 hour version. I believe the 5 1/2 hour will play.

Windows XP Pro memory settings that worked for me:
System Properties
Select, "Advanced" tab
In the, "Performance" section select, "Settings" and a new window opens, "Performance Options"
Select, "Visual Effects" tab
I selected, "Adjust for best performance"
In that same, "Peformance Options" window selct, "Advanced" tab
In the, "Processor scheduling" section select, "Programs"
In the, "Memory usage" section select, "Programs"
In the, "Virtual memory" section select, "Change"
For each of your hard drives listed, select, "System managed size"

Close up all the windows and reboot.

Goodluck!

UPDATE - The 5 1/2 hour show froze again...ugh! I removed the USB wireless mouse and replaced it with a wired one. I removed a USB powered device but the problem still happened later on.
I unistalled LOR and then used the LOR Registry Wipe. Installed LOR and the long show is working so far.

I tried your fix and it didn't help. What puzzles me is I can run the show fine all day and then later on it freezes up. Yesterday I ran a test schedule for 2 hours with the show playing a couple times. Last night I had the first show scheduled to start at 5pm and of course the computer froze so I had to run inside and restart it. What a bummer. After the restart the show ran fine the rest of the night. We'll see what happens tonight. I'm leaving for florida for two weeks monday so hopefully it won't freeze or there will be a lot of disappointed people.

I'm having the same problem. Disabling MS Security Essentials doesn't help. It's not totally frozen, I can unload the control panel and the computer 'un-freezes'.

yes, if I leave task manager running I am able to shut down lor control panel and resume using windows. If I don't have task manager running I can't start it or anything else for that matter. I have disabled security essentials and windows updates and everything else besided lor and it still will do it every once in a while. It's not easily reproduced which makes it difficult to debug.

I had the same issue, with almost the same configuration. Locked up twice on the first night. The second night, the only change I made was to enable compressed sequences, as i had it turned off for halloween. The show ran from beginning to end with no lock ups. Hope this helps

mbettez wrote:

Ok, I'm at work right now so don't have all the details but wanted to post this to see if anyone else is having the problems.

Computer has a complete reinstall of windows xp. LOR 3.1.2 is only thing running besides standard windows software. Never had this problem with the computer before upgrading to LOR 3.0. The problem is just leaving the lor control panel in the task bar I come back in the morning and the computer won't respond. The mouse moves the cursor but clicking either left or right mouse on any other icon besides lor does nothing. alt+ctrl+delete won't bring up task manager. The only way to use the computer again is to right click lor control panel and unload the control panel then the computer works again so this leads me to believe the problem is lor.

I'm starting to get very nervous because I've been so busy sequencing and setting up lights I haven't had time to work on this. I need to let the light show run the next few nights to be sure the computer doesn't freeze and screw up my light show.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'll get more specific error codes tomorrow when I get home.
i am having similiar issues plus the path where my sequences are get broken. My sequences and audio are in C:LORChristmas2011. My show will run fine for an hour or three and then it will puke and puke big time. This is messed up, really messed up!! I can't stay home every night and babysit this!

I am on Windows 7 and same problems with display stopping and not starting up either. 3.12 software with 8 meg ram. 12 songs with 30-40 MB each song. Show was done in Simple Show builder. I have disabled dim, sleep, hibernate, and screen saver with no results. Never had issues in previous 4 years doing this. Something going on with S3. The "not responding" comment in regard to LOR Control pannel is requiring the entire laptop to be restarted. The disable/enable does not work. Any ideas out there?

Bob got with me on this issue and may have figured out problem. I have Windows Commands in my sequences which may be the problem child. I will delete these today and see if things work tonight, and or startup tomorrow without any issues. I hope this is it.

JD Schuck wrote:

Bob got with me on this issue and may have figured out problem. I have Windows Commands in my sequences which may be the problem child. I will delete these today and see if things work tonight, and or start-up tomorrow without any issues. I hope this is it.
I don't but am still having issues, made some changes late last night and will evaluate before contacting Bob.

Mine started doing this too now! Clean install of WinXP with SP3 and all updates, 3GB RAM. When I try and use the computer, the mouse will move but text is missing from icons and applications- start menu may open, but nothing works. I left task manager open to watch memory- Never went over 400MB RAM used- not a memory leak.

Went back to S3 3.0 and not having issues. Seems to only be the updated release.

BrownOut wrote:

Mine started doing this too now! Clean install of WinXP with SP3 and all updates, 3GB RAM. When I try and use the computer, the mouse will move but text is missing from icons and applications- start menu may open, but nothing works. I left task manager open to watch memory- Never went over 400MB RAM used- not a memory leak.

Went back to S3 3.0 and not having issues. Seems to only be the updated release.
starting to get concerned about all the silence I hear on this forum. thanks for the suggestion.

Another note: seems to be only when the LOR control panel is running. It seems odd that I can sequence for 6 hours straight and have no problems. Let the computer sit for 30 minutes after that and it freezes.