Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX / 6803 Led Pixels

gizmomkr

Great Cesar's crap I'm going to broke all year. Already I have adjusted my visualizer to a lot of these strips. I'm going to have to start planning power supplies and dongles. I'm sure you will just point out the obvious solutions to that as well.

I can't believe taking the thread hostage cleared up so much for me. What's worse I've searched for all of this to only find percentages of these answers. I've watched all the dmx 3 channel controller videos which lead me here, I've watched all of Bob's videos. Now I need you to make some videos and the complie it all into 1 DIY thread.

Thank you again for clearing all of that up. Really it shed a whole new light on what I can accomplish. The only thing at this point slowing me down is myself.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilliamS

• Donny M. Carter

• gizmomkr

• bretk

Here is a very short sample of a chase with 3 strips hooked up to a dmx controller. Very short!!

Donny

Donny and Goofy,

Thanks for this thread! It is just the info I was looking for for some pixel bellagio poles I want to build! I just got my first two kits from ray to play with. Think I am going to do a star or one of those spinners with one too (8 two foot spokes should make a nice effect. I ordered some extra 4 conductor ribbon cable from him too.

No No thank Danny, I asked the questions he kept firing back answers.

Danny how long are those strips? 3 meters or so and those are tied end to end all from the 1 controller. Also do my eyes decieve me or is that a LOR USB your using.

The strips are 5m (16.4ft) long from Ray! And yes, that's a LOR USB485, I have 5 of them I plan on running. Maybe more!

Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

The strips are 5m (16.4ft) long from Ray! And yes, that's a LOR USB485, I have 5 of them I plan on running. Maybe more!

Donny

Then you sir have a huge house, those strips look tiny compared to the floor they were on!

Going to the 2nd post of the original poster that I completly hijacked here. The 50 pixel setup and controller are no more than 100 bucks. Add a power supply now you in the 130 range. Dongle and Software I have. Is my match completly off or am I looking at a 50 pixel setup for about 130 bucks.

Around $106.00 + shipping for the 6803 with controller, but you may want to consider using the 2801 for better dimming curves. It cost more, but much better dimming!

Donny

He does, but I'm not familiar with the controller yet!

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-491662520/5m-DC5V-WS2801-digital-led-flexible-strip-with-DMX-WS2801-controller-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing.html

I have a few different things coming, then I will know more!

Donny

Ive seen a few mixed reviews on that controller as its labled about 15 differnt ways on the websites. Some say its 32 pixels total, some say 1024 addresses. Regardless low cost for 32 high range pixels.

Well, I forgot to say that I will be ordering the dmx controller like the one that comes with the 6803 package and will just order the 2801 strip separate! Here are the links:

controller: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-509914025/LT-DMX-2801-DMX-SPI-Decoder-support-WS2801-WS2803-drving-IC.html

2801 strip: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-465132154/5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-WS2801IC-256-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050-SMD-RGB.html

Donny

Donny,

Is the 5v will be a problem for long runs? Can you run separate board power to the 512 controllers and still get 5v to the strip? Maybe these r stupid questions idk

Edit: never mind, found this under the controller description

Note: Signal DMX Decoder merely output the signal to the LED lights which can be controlled in spite of the working voltage.

Not my English!

Ha! You will definitely have some laughs with the instructions and descriptions!

Donny

Ooh thats a good point the 2801 are 5v vs 12vs on the 6803. Although you can inject power into the strip in various places I will have voltage at the front and end of the strip from the same power supply of course.

Haven't read all the posts, but yes, the 6803 has a lower level dimming issue being it is only a 5 bit chip I believe. The 2801 pixel are 8 bit if memory serves me right and do have much better fading capability.

Jeff,

I agree there are lots of different options out there, and yes ray can get special order items made too. he has made me 12v rgb dumb nodes in ip68 , 100 to a string, with a 1 meter pigtail connection. dhl has the sample stringright now somewhere over the pacific. I will start a new thread when I have a chance to play with them a bit. I think Goofy was just referencing my post which was referencing Danny's post which referenced a 5 v ribbon. I think we can all agree that for longer lengths 12 v is preferable, and goofy was talking about doing a 24 foot strip.

Jeff Millard wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Point taken, most if not all of the 2801 I've seen were 5v. Thank you

But the fact remains that there are mulitples of 12V and even many 24V versions of both items, so a blanket statement such as your first.. and your reply... are both incorrect... correct? My recent Ali order includes both ribbon and 8mm pixel nodes of 12V. Many of the controllers have working voltages from 5 to 24 volts so they will work with most pixel based products. The primary drawback to 5V is the voltage drop over distance. It seems from what I've read that a standard 5M ribbon works fine at 5V, but extending that length or including any distance between source and device tends to cause the end pixels to wash towards blue.

These devices are just beginning to take hold of our little part of this hobby. Many people are asking questions about them and they hope and pray they get the right answers. Donny has done quite a bit of research, and we chat regularly in email. I am learning about these devices by asking questions, reading what others have discovered, and trial and error purchases. ...and have made some opinion statements that I eventually proved wrong myself... so... just to be clear, can you provide links to "most if not all" of the 2801 you've seen. I can, in fact, provide multiple links to the 12V 2801 products from Ali. And if you have something that can't be had in 12V, Ray Wu has assured me that he can make special orders for specific items such as different voltages and lengths.

Jeff

It is correct that I was incorrect. I like how you put it as well, you were not putting me down. You stated the fact, then you told me what is correct. This assumption was from what Ive been forwarded as examples and to what others are reccomending. Once again this was knowledge that trickled in and in this case was incorrect. I have held off on purchases till the end of this month only to clear my head and not buy a lot of items I wont be able to utilize. Just like many Im trying to get more info than needed to be cautious of what Im heading into.

As for your incite to the 5v over 12v or 24v makes that easy for me as well. I plan on a few runs over 20 feet so 12v or 24v will be the ideal sitation as the 5v like you said will wash out. Another part of the puzzle I can let Donny have a break from. I appreciate input on that as well if Im wrong.

Donny has been a great help so far and Im sure he will be much more later as well when I start to assemble the ribbons and controllers. It may not be his responsibilty but Im glad he jumped in and answered the questions as fast as I could ask him. I know my credit card company will soon appreciate his attention to detail in his answers as well. He posted a video to show me what I was thinking. Not that I couldnt imagine it but having seen that video made is 100% clear. That kind of knowledge is priceless.

Im good at being wrong, but for you guys to tell me why then show me the right was is greatly appreciated. So many times you just see the statement your wrong dont waste our time and find something else to do. Getting info is the point of a forum, and this thread is proof of that practice. Between this Forum and the LOR help desk I can understand why people get hooked on this hobby. Theres a ton of info here. Its just a matter of people wanting to share the hobby is the key to success.

Everyone reading this thread needs to listen to what Jeff just said! There are a ton of different pixels and voltages! Please don't just see pieces of info and start ordering stuff from Ray. There are a few people who have spent money buying stuff they won't be able to use later. Please educate yourself and figure out exactly what you want your display to be! It is a pain in the butt to send stuff back!! Also keep in mind the sequencing that is involved with pixels,it will take alot longer!

Donny

Fair warning: You need to buy samples of any RGB digital strips from Ray first and test them with the controller you plan to use. DO NOT go out and order a ton of any production without doing this first.

The "why" is very simple: Not all (dang near hardly any) of the RGB digital strips from Aliexpress are in "R", "G", "B" order. BGR seems the most popular. I've received over a dozen different types from Ray to see what I like the best, and only a couple were in straight RGB order when attached to his inexpensive controller.

Now if you use a fancier controller, like a SanDevices E68x, it allows you to configure for those wierd orderings. The inexpensive one from Ray definitely does not.

Yes, you could *manually* move the channels around until it was a proper RGB inside LOR S3, but man, that is a LOT of work when you're talking many hundreds of channels. IMHO it's far better to find a strip that works the way you want with your controller first.

Oh, and if anyone wants some BGR, GBR, GRB or whatever strips, just give me a shout! I have extras. ;)