Light-O-Rama Forums

Easy and quick way to test multiple controllers?

Greg.Ca

After installing just our awnings that use 6 colors and six sections, I wish to turn on 3 controllers simulatenously for testing purposes. I was forced to actually make a sequence and 'show' that tested these 3 controllers but there must be an easier way.

It appears that the hardware utility works great but only tests one controller at a time. Ideas? Is there an easy and quick way to turn on 3 controllers simultanusly in the hardware utility?

--Greg--

Guest Don Gillespie

Greg.Ca wrote:

After installing just our awnings that use 6 colors and six sections, I wish to turn on 3 controllers simulatenously for testing purposes. I was forced to actually make a sequence and 'show' that tested these 3 controllers but there must be an easier way.

It appears that the hardware utility works great but only tests one controller at a time. Ideas? Is there an easy and quick way to turn on 3 controllers simultanusly in the hardware utility?

--Greg--

Not that I know of, the way you did it to test the 3 contollers is the only way I know of, but maybe some one else will chime in on this.

If there was a way to test by just turning on 3 full controllers at one time the only thing you would test is if they come on. That would not tell you if you have everything plugged in correctly.

I am a testing freak when it comes to set up. I test my light strings before I put them up. (some I put up while still plugged in). Then test again with the extension cord plugged into the light string. Then hook it to the correct channel on the controller. I then hook my laptop up to each controller after everything is plugged in and turn on one channel at a time. I then do some retesting with all controllers daisy chained.

I know it anal, but when I finally enable my show I know it right and ready to go.:cool:

While you can test one at a time (not all three at the same time, or with just one Chase test, etc), I think you can start the chase test with each one.. start the chase test with the first controller, then switch to the second, (the first one should still be going). Start the Chase test on the second, then go to the third controller.. etc.. I think the first and second will continue the test until you hit the OFF button for each test..

I use the hardware utility, select one controller and turn on the appropriate circuits, then select the next controller and turn on the appropriate circuits. Circuits from the first controller stay on. The only issue I have had is chasing more than one controller, but for just constant on, hardware utility does more than one controller. Lights Off turns them all off when done.

I too check lights before I take them outside, but use hardware controller when installing. I have power all hooked up and turn on the circuit(s) I am installing. That checks appropriate circuit from software to light.

Paul Roberson wrote:

If there was a way to test by just turning on 3 full controllers at one time the only thing you would test is if they come on. That would not tell you if you have everything plugged in correctly.

I am a testing freak when it comes to set up. I test my light strings before I put them up. (some I put up while still plugged in). Then test again with the extension cord plugged into the light string. Then hook it to the correct channel on the controller. I then hook my laptop up to each controller after everything is plugged in and turn on one channel at a time. I then do some retesting with all controllers daisy chained.

I know it anal, but when I finally enable my show I know it right and ready to go.:cool:

I test any none LED lights before putting them out. I have been lucky with the LEDs and they have worked every year.

I use the my laptop and remote into my show machine which is running the hardware utility to make sure each channel is turning on what it should.

PaulXmas wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

I test any none LED lights before putting them out. I have been lucky with the LEDs and they have worked every year.

I use the my laptop and remote into my show machine which is running the hardware utility to make sure each channel is turning on what it should.

I have not been lucky with LED lights so I test them ALL.

So I went from 2 controllers to 5 this year. I just need to hook them up and assign them all different unit IDs then they can all work together, right?

shakeonit wrote:

So I went from 2 controllers to 5 this year. I just need to hook them up and assign them all different unit IDs then they can all work together, right?

Right. Or they can all have the same unit ID and they will all mirror one another.

But, yes all 5 different unit IDs (1,2,3,4,and 5 for example). Add them to your sequences and sequence the new channels and your off and running.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I think you can start the chase test with each one.. start the chase test with the first controller, then switch to the second, (the first one should still be going).

The hardware utility can only chase one controller at a time.

However, you can use it to turn on whichever channels you want (like all of them) on the first controller, then select the second controller and turn those on, etc. I do that all the time when setting up. You can also set some channels to shimmer, and others 50% on, others twinkle, etc. The channels will continue doing that even if you select a different controller until you:
  • Turn the channels off; or
  • Press the "Lights Off" button; or
  • Exit the hardware utility; or
  • Unplug the network or controller.

I have been going through the same process this weekend. I have a couple of the newer controllers this year and as I was testing I was experiencing problems with the new controllers.

I have expanded my show this year and parts of my yard that were a static display I have animated this year. I had to run a 200 foot Ethernet cable to hookup the new controllers. I was beginning to wonder if the new controllers would not work with the older ones.

I finally brought the new controllers beside the older ones and tested them with a short Ethernet cable and they worked just fine with my older controllers. I just need to make a new Ethernet cable up to get my new controllers going. I too like to test each light string before I put them out. I just feel better about it knowing it works before I put the light string out.