Light-O-Rama Forums

GE Color effects lighting G-35

skooter_3

geronc wrote:

Well, I promised pictures, so here they are. I did build my E681 this past weekend. In the midst of my way too late build, I managed to plug a string in to the 12v side and they no longer work.

Here are the pictures of it built, showing the lights connected and working.

http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_1.jpg
http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_2.jpg
http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_3.jpg
http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_4.jpg

Way cool
So how many strands can you plug to one card
Sorry I'm way curious

Up to 16 depending on power. Shouldn't be a problem though. You can group all the bulbs together or split them up however you like with the controller. It is REALLY nice!

Does it mater how many in a string, i had a demo string also and tried splicing it with a diferent one so i could controll it but it only addresses some of the lights but it will let them all fade different colors.i will be ordering on of the e131 controllers or what ever their called if the will controll several strings

Dale J wrote:

Does it mater how many in a string, i had a demo string also and tried splicing it with a diferent one so i could controll it but it only addresses some of the lights but it will let them all fade different colors.i will be ordering on of the e131 controllers or what ever their called if the will controll several strings

Ok e681 is the controller e131 must be the software protocol sorry about that no edit button

geronc wrote:

Well, I promised pictures, so here they are. I did build my E681 this past weekend. In the midst of my way too late build, I managed to plug a string in to the 12v side and they no longer work.

Looks great! Are the fuses supplied with the kit?

Tim Herberger wrote:

geronc wrote:

Looks great! Are the fuses supplied with the kit?

Yes, fuses are included.

I was going to wait on the group buy over at the DIY forums but after seeing your pictures I think I will go ahead and order a kit now. Did you use the power supply that came with the lights or one of your own? Does it come with software to test or are you testing with light show pro?

dougd wrote:

I was going to wait on the group buy over at the DIY forums but after seeing your pictures I think I will go ahead and order a kit now. Did you use the power supply that came with the lights or one of your own? Does it come with software to test or are you testing with light show pro?

I am using the power supply that came with the lights.

It does have test patterns built in to the board, so as soon as you plug it in, they should start working if everything was done correctly. I used LSP to test with.

geronc wrote:

dougd wrote:

I am using the power supply that came with the lights.

It does have test patterns built in to the board, so as soon as you plug it in, they should start working if everything was done correctly. I used LSP to test with.

This is exactly what I've done, but with a full load of lights, the power supply will need to be bigger, is that correct?

I haven't calculated the load yet for it, but when I was running 2 strand of lights yesterday at full white, I was using 1.21 Amps. So, more than likely, you will need a bigger power supply than what comes with the lights. I just haven't done the math yet for it.

tboerjan wrote:

Does the demo from Sandevices work to control them. I tried the LSP demo software, and didn't like or get it; but I am excited that LOR will soon support the protocal.

Yes, the test patterns work great. I've had trouble with 4 - 6, but they still work. From the manual...

[align=left]Values 1 through 6 are presently defined as test patterns:[/align]
[align=left]1 All pixels full on RED[/align]
[align=left]2 All pixels full on GREEN[/align]
[align=left]3 All Pixels full on BLUE[/align]
[align=left]4 A bright RED pixel chases through a dim RED background[/align]
[align=left]5 A bright GREEN pixel chases through a dim GREEN background.[/align]
[align=left]6 A bright BLUE pixel chases through a dim BLUE background.[/align]
Note that all test patterns will activate every possible pixel.

There are a few "problems" with test patterns 4-6. I'm sure all are "works as designed" even if it's not quite what we expect.

1. The rest of the lights do not light the dim color until the bright chase has passed them. So you have to wait for one cycle to get to your lights before they react to the test at all. Which can be a while because...

2. The test cycles through 4 DMX universes worth of pixels no matter how many are connected or configured. I started out with my pixels on Universe 2, so I had to wait for 170 pixels to chase before my first one lit. If it appears to do nothing, be patient. Or, if you can't be patient, switch your pixels to start at Universe 1, channel 001.

3. May have been mentioned elsewhere. As the controller is configured, these GE pixels are actually BGR. Be sure to change your RGB setting to BGR so the test patterns (and sequences) light the pixels with the correct colors. This is done by typing "RGB # 5" where # is the bank (1-4) you're using.

geronc wrote:

I haven't calculated the load yet for it, but when I was running 2 strand of lights yesterday at full white, I was using 1.21 Amps. So, more than likely, you will need a bigger power supply than what comes with the lights. I just haven't done the math yet for it.

I'm thinking to power 16 strands of 50 RGB's (GE Color effects) @ 5 volts you would need 50 amps. I think it's 3 amps per 50 RGB's. Does this sound about right? I'm looking for a power supply now & I have a enclosure on the way for the E681.

DanglinModifiers wrote:

There are a few "problems" with test patterns 4-6. I'm sure all are "works as designed" even if it's not quite what we expect. Correct, I just didn't explain this.

1. The rest of the lights do not light the dim color until the bright chase has passed them. So you have to wait for one cycle to get to your lights before they react to the test at all. Which can be a while because...

2. The test cycles through 4 DMX universes worth of pixels no matter how many are connected or configured. I started out with my pixels on Universe 2, so I had to wait for 170 pixels to chase before my first one lit. If it appears to do nothing, be patient. Or, if you can't be patient, switch your pixels to start at Universe 1, channel 001.

3. May have been mentioned elsewhere. As the controller is configured, these GE pixels are actually BGR. Be sure to change your RGB setting to BGR so the test patterns (and sequences) light the pixels with the correct colors. This is done by typing "RGB # 5" where # is the bank (1-4) you're using. Jim said he was working on this for the next firmware version so you wouldn't have to change this. Quote from an e-mail this morning from him "Yes, the issue are the color order on the GE pixels was just raised,and I
obviously should be making that part of setup config on this end. Do you
remember what value worked for you, I'm thinking 4 or 5?" So, we should see this fixed in the future so we don't have to worry about this.

skooter_3 - I had a 25 count strand and a 36 count strand connected and I was using 1.71 Amps at full white when using LSP.

I have a total of 16 sets of the 36 count. Looks like I will need at least a 20 amp power supply.

Is there a way to control these lights with LOR S3 right now? Sounds like the E681 is the way to go, but I hate relying on something the software doesnt yet support.

dougd wrote:

I have a total of 16 sets of the 36 count. Looks like I will need at least a 20 amp power supply.

Is there a way to control these lights with LOR S3 right now? Sounds like the E681 is the way to go, but I hate relying on something the software doesnt yet support.

LOR, there isn't a way right now, LightShow Pro supports them now.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think XLights also supports E1.31. You can use your normal LOR sequencer to build sequences. XLights runs your shows.

dougd wrote:

LOR is saying they will have something out the first half of this year that will support the E681 which is the E1.31 DMX Protocol. I'm moving foward with programming for it. When they release it, I will just make the adjustments needed to send the commands to the E681. Life will be good.