Light-O-Rama Forums

GE Color effects lighting G-35

skooter_3

Don Gillespie wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
John, I'm hacking a set now and will post the results when I'm finished.

Off to order the pixel controller.

LOR needs to get on top of the E1.31 (ACN) support.

William are you and John saying we can use these lights and controll the colors with LOR I want to be clear on the concept before any purchases are made.

Not Quite Yet. :) The E680/E681 series only take streaming ACN, also called E1.31 as their input (DMX over Ethernet) At this point in time LOR S3 cannot talk directly to the E68x interface.

The E68x controllers run the GE pixels pretty well. Nice smooth fades, dims, etc.

I have four of each E68x type and used them extensively this year. The way I ended up controlling them was to use the Madrix software, having it remote controlled over a dedicated DMX line. LOR S3 controlled Madrix, Madrix controlled 2,016 RGB pixels on E680 controllers.

I can't wait for direct LOR support of E1.31 myself! I have more of these controllers for next year's stuff and need that ability. ;)

It really shouldn't be too difficult to add. They're already supporting up to 16 DMX universes. E1.31 is just taking the same protocol and tossing it out an Ethernet port (with universes indicated in start packets) What I'd really love to see is LOR support for the 16 existing DMX universes to just select E1.31 instead of Enttec DMX Pro, Lynx, etc, and then specify which Universe it should be on the ethernet output. (Bonus points if they allow you to configure WHICH Ethernet port gets which stream of E1.31 traffic. Otherwise it's just a broadcast going out all Ethernet ports)

well theres something yall need to know about me my display is not the greatest thing since sliced bread very low budget i have m/s and im blind and im not an electric guru glad for what i do have and glad to do it for the local kids of all ages. and yes i do answer all questions no matter how many times i hear them with out getting attitude. and yes i am proud it it such as it is.

• Like 1

After seeing that article about hacking the GE lights I was hooked. I had to have them. Not really sure on all the details being a newbie on how to control them yet but..

I was on a mission. I went to so many stores looking for them an of course no luck untill. Being 4 Days after Christmas sale I didnt think I would have any luck. But I finally found a open box at walmart. Only the 25 count thou g-35. Opened box no controller. Was originally $47.98 50% off $23.99 and then another 10% for missing the controller. $21.59 less than 90 cent a noid!! I think I did good wish there was more!!

So on the same shelf I found these Holiday Time Led Wireless Remoter Control c7 light set that goes from warm white to multi or stop on white or multi. Any one heard of these or have any experience. Are the controllable like the g-35. I just go the home and plug the in but haven't tried to take them apart yet. I noticed that when it changes from white to multi that the color bulb is always the same color. (Is it that color led or can it be rewritten to change to a different color?? (Like the G-35 rgb)

skooter_3 didn't mean to hijack your thread.. I will start my own with the same questions. I figured since this one is open and had a lot of response it would be the right place to mention it.

This g-35 topic really got me excited about next years possibilities!!

Here is the link to my own thread I started incase anyone want to join in discussion:

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31665&forum_id=80

I got 13 strands of the 36 count g-35 lights for $10 a piece today at . I LUCKED out! I am super excited about hacking these lights.

lowes.jpg

• Like 1

geronc wrote:

I got 13 strands of the 36 count g-35 lights for $10 a piece today at . I LUCKED out! I am super excited about hacking these lights.

WOW!!

Where did you score those at?? Any more left?

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher2113 wrote:

Im Jealous!!!!!!!
I paid half price!!!!!:D

Most of the ones I got, I paid $20 for. These last 13, I just lucked out even further. I built my E681 this weekend. Ran some of the lights on it with the test pattern. I accidently plugged one of the lights into the 12v side on the controller instead of the 6v side. OH well. They no longer work to say the least.......

Guess that is what I get for finishing the soldering at 2:30 in the morning and not waiting till the next day to test. I got too excited and wasn't paying a bit of attention.

geronc wrote:

Christopher2113 wrote:
Im Jealous!!!!!!!
I paid half price!!!!!:D

Most of the ones I got, I paid $20 for. These last 13, I just lucked out even further. I built my E681 this weekend. Ran some of the lights on it with the test pattern. I accidently plugged one of the lights into the 12v side on the controller instead of the 6v side. OH well. They no longer work to say the least.......

Guess that is what I get for finishing the soldering at 2:30 in the morning and not waiting till the next day to test. I got too excited and wasn't paying a bit of attention.

oh no already killed a strand!!!

yeah i bought probable a couple dozen

i even ended up with a couple of display strands but they will not change functions with the remote so i thought about fixing that problem and experiment with a different controler

how are you doing it? any pics?

With the help of others, I've hacked my first string of G-35 Color Effects strand. I used the E681 Pixel controller & the demo version of Light Show Pro software. I am anxiously awaiting for LOR to use E1.31 protocol.

Christopher2113 wrote:

http://www.sandevices.com/E681info.html. They have some pretty cool stuff. I bought the kit, but they have an assembled one for $60 more. It will control all sorts of pixels. It uses E1.31 to receieve DMX. HIGHLY recommend it.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow evening and post them.

geronc wrote:

Christopher2113 wrote:

http://www.sandevices.com/E681info.html. They have some pretty cool stuff. I bought the kit, but they have an assembled one for $60 more. It will control all sorts of pixels. It uses E1.31 to receieve DMX. HIGHLY recommend it.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow evening and post them.

cool thanks

Christopher2113 wrote:

where did you purchase your contoller cheap and good for the money?

what!! you cannot control them with lor yet/

even after s3 came out

LOR is going to release an update first half of this year which will allow E1.31. Who know actually when it will be, but i'm getting ready for it. I'm playing with LightShow Pro to see how well it works.

geronc wrote:

LOR is going to release an update first half of this year which will allow E1.31. Who know actually when it will be, but i'm getting ready for it. I'm playing with LightShow Pro to see how well it works.

oh cool i have not upgraded to the s3 yet lol

but im sure i will i want to start purchasing rgb nodes and such

i would like to make some megaballs from the holidaycoro.com

Well, I promised pictures, so here they are. I did build my E681 this past weekend. In the midst of my way too late build, I managed to plug a string in to the 12v side and they no longer work.

Here are the pictures of it built, showing the lights connected and working.

http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_1.jpg
http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_2.jpg
http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_3.jpg
http://www.geronc.net/lor/e681_4.jpg