Light-O-Rama Forums

How to add a Power LED to new PC Boards

JoeKinne

Did you purchase the pre-made units or the kits?
Either way you might be able to un-solder the LED on the board and relocate it with wires to the outside of the case. Be careful to match the polarity.
Now I am saying this as a private person, I would call LOR first and see if doing this will void the warranty before doing it. Also when you drill the hole in the case hot glue the LED there.

I will say it again Contact LOR first. If they say it is ok this is the way I would do it.

The only thing abt relocating the power LED to outside the case is something glowing in the night makes it easier for thieves/vandals to spot it in the bushes, etc.. What I can recommend instead is to drill a hole right over the LED, and hot-glue a translucent piece of plastic (like a slice off a screwdriver handle) to the hole.. keeps water out, and looking straight at the hole you can see the power LED on, but no one else can.

I took a small nut driver (odd sized) and using the band saw, cut a thin slice off the handle and hot-glued it over the 1/2" hole I drilled in the cover. I can see it blinking in the dark if I look at the front, but it cant be seen at an angle or from the street.

This is the old (Gen2) board so it's the standard red LED taller than the SMT LED, so that will prob be dimmer but should still work.

Attached files 280482=15561-LOR_Case_Power_Light.jpg

TJ that is another option I was thinking about as well just with out having a unit to physically look at I wasn't sure of clearance issues for being able to open the cover for inside access. Apperantly it works. Great job putting that option out there.
I wonder if a stick of hot glue would work if it was clear enough?

One thing abt the glue stick, how would you attach it? hot glue the hot glue? :D Like you said, it isnt too clear.. I tink I vould uze ze wa-fare theen slice of ze tewel 'andle, no?

It worked fully. I wish you were closer to me So I could come check out your setup's for each event. I like the video's from the pirate ship. can't wait to see xmas.

You could also google light pipe, PMMA or POF Fiber.
Im using some for another part of my setup, its flexible fiber. Glue one end on top of your LED and the other can stick out from whatever part of your cas you like.

If it were me, I'd pull the led, drill a hole, and extend the wires back to the PCB.

Light pipes are probably not the most effective delivery of the status light, but they might give you some ideas for other parts of your display.