Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Question

PatrickNew

I've got a local news caster that is going to do some video for me that will play between songs throughout my show this year. I've got a TV hooked up to the computer through the S video output on my video card. Everything works as it should, except at the end of the video, instead of just going dark, it shows a windows "window" with the video showing for about 0.5 seconds. It is very annoying to have this pop up at the end of every video. I've tried dragging the window off the screen, but it keeps coming back. Anyone got any ideas? I'll post a video of it later today if you can't visualize what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Patrick

What is your process for showing the video? What software? How are you launching it?

I've used the sequence editor to create a musical sequence based on the video. Then I load that sequence in the show editor in the appropriate place. Its all done with LOR software. I'm on the newest version, advanced license level if that helps. Thanks!

I have been using video for a while now, both in my Halloween and Christmas shows, without the issues you are describing.

Assuming you are using XP, did you setup your computer display (control is under video properties) to include a second monitor? If you are using Win 7, I can't help you there. I am sticking with XP, as everything works reliably with the systems I rely on under XP (radio software, LOR, video editing, etc). It ain't broke, so I am not about to fix it! :D

Assuming you did set up 2 monitors under did you drag only the LOR video screen to the second monitor?

If so what resolution did you set the second screen to show?

Also are you using wmv, avi or other video files?

I am really busy at work these days, but will try to check in later this week to see your responses.

Greg

I have also been using video for awhile now, and have the same problem.

Like Greg I did not have this problem running XP, but am just now thinking about that part of it. During this time I had a Gforce video card that did all of the full screen video itself. Sometime during the spring that year for some reason Gforce did away with that option during a driver update. Before Christmas I changed computers (vista) and have had the window resizing video problem since then.

I have seen the problem on vista and windows 7.

My videos start and end with the same background that my computer is set to. This helps, but you still get the window resizing problem.

It is certainly unprofessional looking and I am thinking about not using video this year because of it.

I don't recall having the problem last year. I have the same video card that I did then, NVidea GeForce 7300. I have the same OS that I did last year, Windows XP Home, and I'm having the same problem with the small window at the end of each sequence.

Linda wrote:

I don't recall having the problem last year. I have the same video card that I did then, NVidea GeForce 7300. I have the same OS that I did last year, Windows XP Home, and I'm having the same problem with the small window at the end of each sequence.

The only thing different for you is S3?

Have there been any windows media player updates done?

I am using the latest version of WMP, LOR 2.9.4, and XP service pack 3.

I don't have the resizing issue, but to avoid a blue background, even momentarily between songs, when I set it up I opted to use a black windows (desktop) background.. just in case! :P Originally I was going to change it back after Christmas last year, but never got around to it...

I can see how you could have a momentary flash of your desktop as you change between songs (which you can avoid by running a black background), but I am not sure why it would resize?? :?

I use a blck background on my desktop too. Actually I'm not using a background, which makes the desktop black anyway. I think I did use a black background last year. I'll try that again and see what happens.

I had (have) the same issue (with s2), havn't tried with S3 yet), my resolution was to use a black desktop, that way when it popped up their wans't anything to see.

I just went back on some of my older posts and found that I did have the same issue last year, as did others. I'm using S3. I have tried no background (black) and a blackjpg as the background and have the same issue. I'm just not going to worry about it. To me it's a small price to pay for the ability to play videos.

I found a temporary fix (at least it worked for me). If I do not put LOR into "Full Screen" mode and let the small box appear, then I can resize the box to "almost full screen" and it worked for me. You have to be careful not to maximize the box or it creates an error, but one time per show is better than nothing. If you do this for the first show, all others will be the same. Hope I explained it ok.
Tom

I tell you, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has the issue. I just hate to "live" with it this year. Anyway, of interest, Ive noticed it only seems to happen when running in a show, not when playing it from the sequence editor. Also, I'm running XP, and it is set up as a second monitor on the computer. I've tried different resolutions, and it does not make a difference. I'm not 100% sure if I've got the mot up to date version of media player. I'll look into that. Anyone have any other thoughts?

OK, so it seems the issue then is only the resizing one some seem to be experiencing, as with using a black background you will not see anything desktop related between songs.

Since I don't have the resizing issue on my end, and I run 2.9.4 it must relate to a windows (WMP) issue, as if it was a LOR issue I would think I would be experiencing it as well.

Also it seems odd that it runs OK when using your sequence editor, but when running a show (which essentially calls your sequences) it resizes. That has me stumped.

Perhaps Bob, or one of our more experienced LOR software folks can weigh in.

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

OK, so it seems the issue then is only the resizing one some seem to be experiencing, as with using a black background you will not see anything desktop related between songs.

Since I don't have the resizing issue on my end, and I run 2.9.4 it must relate to a windows (WMP) issue, as if it was a LOR issue I would think I would be experiencing it as well.

Also it seems odd that it runs OK when using your sequence editor, but when running a show (which essentially calls your sequences) it resizes. That has me stumped.

Greg

Don't understand the "runs OK when using the sequence editor" myself. How does one run the sequence editor and see what happens when changing from one sequence to another?

The "window resizing' problem I see only happens between sequences.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Greg Young wrote:

Greg

Don't understand the "runs OK when using the sequence editor" myself. How does one run the sequence editor and see what happens when changing from one sequence to another?

The "window resizing' problem I see only happens between sequences.

I agree Paul. I can't figure that out either! :?

I thought the only way it could resize is between individual sequences, but perhaps some have seen it occur in the middle of sequences. It's hard to guess when you haven't seen the issue yourself...

It would appear the issue lies somewhere in the LOR <-> WMP interfacing, once the dual monitor setup issue was ruled out, which is why I asked earlier if they were using avi files vs wmp, to see if the avi might not show this same resizing between songs that wmv files do. There are a few variables here, which could acount for differing results...

If I am about the only one not getting resizing, then I'm the odd man out. The other options are most don't run video, or those that don't have the issue are not posting in this thread...

Greg

• 6 months later...

Update - I upgraded to S3 and a new pc running win 7 professional edition at the same time.
I now have the resizing issues folks have been talking about when running a show.
I suspect it relates to how win 7 is dealing with wmp, and is not specifically a problem with the LOR software itself, but that is pure speculation on my part.
Will spend some time playing with it when I get some time (too busy with other hobbies this time of year), and then let folks know what I find out.
Greg