Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Installation at the State Fair of Texas

Charles Belcher

These two videos are marked unlisted on YouTube. Paste the URL into the browser not the YouTube search function.

Job description:

Installation took place August 2011 under the double sided midway awnings at the State Fair of Texas. Each midway segment is 1130' long. The CCR's were mounted on 15' centers approx and there are 66 units per side.

We had John at LOR custom build us power supplies inside a weatherproof box which were mounted diretly next to the CCR's. Each power supply accepted two CCR's which shared the same DMX channels.

Each pair of CCR's were mounted on custom extruded aluminum angle with tabs so we could simply slide the CCR into the "track" and not have to use tie wraps. The apex of the angle pointed down so that each side of the pair of CCR's faced opposite directions at a 45 degree angle.

This allowed the people an on-axis view of the CCR's no matter which way they were walking down the midway.

There was a total of 22 DMX universes used via ethernet distribution. In order to manage that amount of channels, the entire system is driven by Madrix software. A combination of Madrix internal patterns and imported flash video were used to generate what you will see. The music synchronization was handled by a function in Madrix.

The videos were shot from one end of the midway which created on effect all to itself.

It was great fun as we had to install the system in the middle of the 39 days over 100 degrees we experienced in Dallas.

Charles Belcher

VERY NICE. I do have one question. A couple of the scenes the effect started on the other end and came to the camera does being on the other give the look of the effect leaving that end, or are the ccr's mounted facing that way reversed on seq. example
Camera end to far end 1-255
Far end to camera 255-1

or are both the "A" and "B" sides just 1-? all the way down?

The Pest wrote:

VERY NICE. I do have one question. A couple of the scenes the effect started on the other end and came to the camera does being on the other give the look of the effect leaving that end, or are the ccr's mounted facing that way reversed on seq. example
Camera end to far end 1-255
Far end to camera 255-1

or are both the "A" and "B" sides just 1-? all the way down?

We determined that all effects looked better beginning and ending at either end rather than starting in the center and working outwards; so yes, you are correct.

gizmomkr wrote:

Charles : Love it. Makes me miss my old lighting production days. Nice work.

I dont miss scaling light truss at 2:00am and humping cases into a box truck.

Did you just say "scaling" and "humping"? I thought this was a lighting forum :cool:

jerrymac wrote:

Do you have any pictures of the extruded aluminum angle with tabs ?

No sir, I don't have those pics. Just imagine a section of angle aluminum with the "V" facing down. We had the manufacturer extrude a "C" channel on each of the two mounting surfaces into which we slide the CCR. Really not much to it other than having to have it custom made.

Charles

• The topic was locked