Light-O-Rama Forums

Fan Arches and Leaping Light Arches

Ron Boyd

I modified a design that I found earlier in the year. The drawing is for a fan arch but is easily modified for a leaping arch also. Just removr the long sweep 90's and wrap lights on arch section instead of string the fan.Only costs about $10 to build and then add lights. This is my first year, and I've learned so much that I thought I'd share some of my ideas. Hope this might be helpful, especially for first timers.

Merry Christmas all,

Ron

Attached files 279365=15484-Fan Arch.jpg

First, welcome to the addiction and madness that is LOR.. There's no turning back now.. Second, thats a good design, but many are using sleeeves for the arch wraps as it's a lot easier replacing bad sections or swapping colors

Attached files 279600=15507-2010-07-03 22-57-46.972.jpg

• 1 month later...

Folks, I hope all of you see this. Use 3/4" for this if you make it. 1/2" didn't work so well when I started wrapping the lights. I rebuil mine with 3/4" and it's much more sturdy

TJ Hvasta wrote:

LEDs, you still cant swap out colors without unwrapping. Go with sleeves, you WONT be sorry.

By far, I agree!!!

everything that I've read is 100 to 250 lights per channel, (ie 100 clear or white, 200 clear or white or any combination and a 50 ct string of blue added.) On the fan I built, I used 100 clear on 8 channels and 100 blur on 8 channels for a total of 1600 lights and 16 channels.

TJ,
How long are your sleaves? Even though my arches were made before some wise guy got the idea of sleaves. Sure wish I had heard about the sleaves before I built my arches. I might have to rebuild one day and would like to do sleaves next time. Oh and was that 1" in dia.?

The sleeve length I guess depends on the length of the string and bulb spacing.. my string length is 23' and spacing is abt 2 1/2" so wrapping them made an 11" sleeve with 1 1/4" pvc.. the bulbs tend to line up in rows (as you can see in the picture) but at 10' sidewalk to arch, you can't tell.. I started with a 14" sleeve, wrapped then cut the extra off with the bandsaw.. yes, trimmed the sleeve with the lights on the sleeve. After the 3rd one I pre-trimmed the sleeves to 11". If you use then 1 1/2" sleeve pipe it should easily fit 1/2" support pipe. And my bases are just over 6' wide.

Guest Don Gillespie

Max-Paul wrote:

TJ,
How long are your sleaves? Even though my arches were made before some wise guy got the idea of sleaves. Sure wish I had heard about the sleaves before I built my arches. I might have to rebuild one day and would like to do sleaves next time. Oh and was that 1" in dia.?

The sleeves that I use Max-Paul are 16 inches long I use 7 per arch wrapped with 100 cnt minis they looked fantastic, I did have one go out this year it took me all of 40 seconds to replace on the arch as I made 2 extra sleeves in case some thing like this happened.

It all depends on string length and bulb spacing.. I wondered how they were getting 16" sleeves, but their strings were 30+ feet and 3-4" spacing, that's why the longer sleeves..

dariansdad wrote:

I modified a design that I found earlier in the year. The drawing is for a fan arch but is easily modified for a leaping arch also. Just removr the long sweep 90's and wrap lights on arch section instead of string the fan.Only costs about $10 to build and then add lights. This is my first year, and I've learned so much that I thought I'd share some of my ideas. Hope this might be helpful, especially for first timers.

Merry Christmas all,

Ron

I made something similar to this for 2011 and I even added hooks to the 3/4" Grey PVC pipe for quicker attaching the lights & taking them off. I even had stands for the fans so that it can stay free standing.

I made the fan 10ft long but the PVC was still to weak & so I went back to the 12ft fan I used last year that was made out of a trampoline. Perfect arch & very strong. It had 3360 LEDs on it. 3 strings of 70 count per channel (slice, pie shape, wedge & any other name you want to add).

However I saved the arch poles with hooks in them and put them on the trampoline arch fan. Good clean hook up. I bolted the 3/4 PVC pipe with the hooks in it to the trampoline frame.

The remaining PVC pieces were used on my Matrix to help keep the poles straight.

I used sleeves for my Matrix poles and each sleeve was 10" in length and housed a 70 count LED light string that was folded in half for a better looking sleeve. Folding the light string in half and having the bulbs look as though they were 2" apart gave a way better look.

I never made my arches like most arches using mini lights or LED lights simply because I just don't have the money to add as much lights as I would like to to the arches & the fact I will not go into debt for my display pretty much made up my mind how I would build my arches. However, if I made my arches the way most of you do I would use sleeves.