Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Enclosures

JoeKinne

Some people use small plastic shoe boxes others get enclosures from various telco sites. Since I work for the phone co. I rescued a couple old ones and made mine.

Attached files 279366=15485-IMG_0100.JPG

SWood wrote:

Some people use small plastic shoe boxes others get enclosures from various telco sites. Since I work for the phone co. I rescued a couple old ones and made mine.

I use a similar box as you, SWood... but I've found a problem with that set up and am looking for a solution. I've had the LOR network connector on an iDMX get corroded beyond repair - sent back to LOR and they said that they could not repair them. This was in a latched and bolted demarc box similar to yours. What I'm thinking might have happened is that with the RJ45 connectors pointed up and the cables going in there, some condensation formed on the cable or connector, and gravity forced it down to the contacts. When I lost communication with the controller, I found the RJ45 contacts were covered with green corrosion. I am keeping an eye out for a wider demarc box that I can mount the iDMX in horizontally, so that any condensation will not drip into the connection. (Thought of just turning controller over so that the RJ45 end is pointed down, but then the DMX connectors would suffer the same fate...)

Just my two cents worth.

D.T.

I painted electrical conduit boxes I got from Home Depot (or Lowes?). These hold the power supply and controller for 1 CCR. I have 4 of these.

EDIT: I have tried posting an image, but for some reason it comes across inverted...

What size boxes are you using and how are you managing the penetrations so that you don't get moisture in the box? Got any Pictures.

These are the final Items that I have to mount this year and I am at a loss on how to do it.:shock:

I have some primex P128 boxes on order. I'll try to remember to report back when I get them in hand. I expect I'll use command adhesive to put the power supply in the back, and then more command adhesive to mount the CCR controller to the power supply..

Here you go, this is my 12 CCR Controllers in a cozy little Rubber Maid container on the left

And on the right is my 12 CCR's wrapped on a bed of Heavy Duty Plastic Chicken fencing

Attached files 280526=15564-CCR

Paul, I was thinking of doing the same with the plastic chicken fencing for ease of storage (rolling it up) and evenness of the CCR's from top to bottom.

Couple questions if you don't mind...

How did you mount the chicken fencing to the railing/house to where it doesn't flap away in the wind?

Are the lead wires long enough to handle the length to the controllers in this configuration?

Thx!

WayneKremer wrote:

Paul, I was thinking of doing the same with the plastic chicken fencing for ease of storage (rolling it up) and evenness of the CCR's from top to bottom.

Couple questions if you don't mind...

How did you mount the chicken fencing to the railing/house to where it doesn't flap away in the wind?

Are the lead wires long enough to handle the length to the controllers in this configuration?

Thx!

I wanted an easy way to store/move my 12 CCR matrix because of my Halloween and Christmas display is in 2 different locations on my property and I wanted something strong/flexible and protective, but also could withstand wind I was thinking of using flexible plastic but for 4ft x 20ft they wanted $700...so I waited and and kept looking, as I was walking though Lowes one day I saw this fencing and immediately knew this is for more than chickens :D

If you get the heavy duty Chicken/Poultry Fencing it stays firm, the corners will curl up a little, but it will not roll back up it lays almost flat, but I suggest you use either cable ties or elastic tie downs as the mount support. I "was" going to mount this chicken wire on PVC pipe and elevate it up above my fence line.

with its grid design you get a perfect straight CCR I affixed mine with the 4 inch cable ties every foot

I told Brian (SuperStar Light Guy) that you could easily do his CCR Tree using this stuff being creative with cable ties and strong scissors

yes, with about an extra foot of lead wire from the 12th CCR, if you would have 18 CCR's you might just have enough slack

also, this will be my 2nd year using this Rubber Maid container and it has weather heavy rains, buried in snow, and below zero temps. and the controllers were dry functional, and the lid to the container is flexible enough to snap-seal with all wires including 2 network cat5 cables + electric...not bad for $3.00 (on sale)

Now you make my $3.00 Rubber Maid container look dang cheap, I don't mean price :)

How do you route your cabling out of the cabinet? out the back wall behind the controllers?

also, I guess I need to go to Lowes and get me one of those,

thanks

My local Lowes clearances the sprinkler timer boxes our this week. They were regularly $33 and clearance price is $13. I bought the last six that my local store had. They are a little big for one controller but that is cheaper than I had bought from the electrical store. I just thought maybe it might be of some help to someone still looking for an enclosure.Oh yeah, to boot it comes with a gfci plug installed. You can just remove the plug and have an extra one if you ever need one.

Attached files 280990=15600-2011-11-15_19-26-14_173.jpg

Wow. Seeing all these enclosures makes me feel like I've been lazy. I just set the CCR controller and power supply on top of a couple nails under the eves of the roof. Am I inviting problems? I live in southern California where, contrary to classic song myth, it does rain (I think last year it rained on a Thursday). Are you guys using these enclosures because you are out in the middle of the yard, or is it really needed even when under the eves of the roof?