Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you video tape and post videos of your display?

Tom Clapper

I haven't tried much, but my wife took some video with her camara, and I've tried with my smart phone and they haven't turned out good. I do have a camcorder but it uses vhs-c tapes and I have no ideas of how to get that onto the computer to post a video. What do most of you use to record your shows and then how do you get them onto your computer?

I use a camcorder that has the usb port on it I take my netbook outside which controls the lights and have the camera hooked directly into the computer while the show is playing that way I can have the computer recording the video and have it adding the audio in directly from the file I think the audio setting is mixed audio output or something like that.

This way I dont have background noise the only thing is if anybody wants to see the display they wont get any audio until I am done although this year when I am recording I may find some way to send the audio inside to my stero maby I might use my fm transmitter If the signal reaches that far

Tom,

I'm in the same boat. I think it's more of just not knowing what to do with the video once you have recorded the display. I know there is more to just recording and that's it. Any special gagets, software used AFTER it is recorded to get it on the computer, then to on-line video sites?

I too have video that i want to share.

Thanks,

Tom

I video mine with a Flip camera also and have it near my truck with radio on so it picks up the song. Then I take the file and import it into Windows Movie Maker and then I take the actual MP3 of the song and import that also and line it up with the audio from the video so it is the same - then I mute the audio from the original video so only the actual mp3 is heard and this is the result... http://www.burlingtonlights.com/videos_2010.php

I do the same as captainron19. My camera from last year was not real good for quality. I bought a flip this year and it is much better quality. Once I get everything in the Windows Movie Maker finalized and saved, I upload to Vimeo for people to see.

I just picked up a flipp, but I really like the Kodak Zi8.
it has an external MIC input. (connect to headphone jack on a fm radio)

The best advice I have for anyone is GET A TRIPOD.

captainron19 wrote:

I video mine with a Flip camera also and have it near my truck with radio on so it picks up the song.  Then I take the file and import it into Windows Movie Maker and then I take the actual MP3 of the song and import that also and line it up with the audio from the video so it is the same - then I mute the audio from the original video so only the actual mp3 is heard...

I have a Flip too, nice recorder for the $$, do you change the video resolution before uploading or do you just use the Flip HD resolution?

captainron19 wrote:

I video mine with a Flip camera also and have it near my truck with radio on so it picks up the song.  Then I take the file and import it into Windows Movie Maker and then I take the actual MP3 of the song and import that also and line it up with the audio from the video so it is the same - then I mute the audio from the original video so only the actual mp3 is heard...

I have a Flip too, nice recorder for the $$, do you change the video resolution before uploading or do you just use the Flip HD resolution?

I use a Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera, mount it on a tripod across the street, plug the mic input from the output of a stereo FM receiver, and tune it to the station my show is broadcasting on. I got this camera because it recorded in HD, had a mic input, and was only about $100 at the time.

Bill, thats NOT funny!! :P

I have an older JVC DVD camera with a 8gb flash card in it.. camera records to the flash card, I pull it, stick it in the card reader on the computer, copy it over into CycberDVD's PowerDirector/Producer, mute the video's audio, import the audio file I used for the sequernce over the video, and create a .mpg file (can also burn it onto a DVD). Upload that to YT or Vimeo.. You can find a bunch of the older JVC vid cameras on eBay for cheap.

A Tripod is absolutely nessessary to prevent any jiggling, for photos especially.. in low-light you -can not- do without it to capture the best colors.

I use the Canon Powershot 1400, mounted on a tripod. I tune a walkman to the radio station and put earbuds near the camera's mic. Then I overlay the actual audio track overtop the video.
Canon-PowerShot-SD1400-IS-1.jpg

jstorms wrote:

I use the Canon Powershot 1400, mounted on a tripod. I tune a walkman to the radio station and put earbuds near the camera's mic. Then I overlay the actual audio track overtop the video.
Canon-PowerShot-SD1400-IS-1.jpg

And then what?

Then I pull it into MS Movie Maker, add whatever text I like. If the audio is bad I import the mp3 file and overlay it. In some cases if the audio isn't bad enough I'll add noise, then I export it to a video file and upload it to Youtube.

MikeH wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
I use my work camera and Avid to edit the video.

image.php?type=T&id=10648

Can I borrow that? Promise to send it right back.

MikeH

Mike, just send it to me second, and then I'll send it right back, too...;) Just remember one thing when recording with any thing - don't talk, turn off car engine and DON'T open and close the car doors... NOT that I have done that..:P

jstorms wrote:

Then I pull it into MS Movie Maker, add whatever text I like. If the audio is bad I import the mp3 file and overlay it. In some cases if the audio isn't bad enough I'll add noise, then I export it to a video file and upload it to Youtube.

Thanks for more info here. So where do you export it? Video file? (trying to learn videoing and sharing it to the public. Example, my snowflakes).

Thanks again,

Tom