Light-O-Rama Forums

My Mega Tree is Up!!!!....

jimswinder

Guest Don Gillespie

Arnoldc wrote:

Is there a bonus if Jim falls Dow with it????

No there is no bonus if Jim falls down, however if he does fall down I get dibbs on his contollers and his mega tree:P now that I have said this I hope you don`t fall down :) we would all be sad :( some of the members might be happy :D others might be mad :X there are some that could be suprised :shock: and some that might be confused :) if you haven`t figure it out I am trying to see how many emoticons I can use in one post :) but once his tree is working it should be rather bright :cool: ok I have run out, I have no idea what the guy wearing sunglasses and a hat means so I am done.

ps Jim don`t fall down. my money is on the tree not you LOL

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• caniac

• Arnoldc

• CKSedg

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:
TJ Hvasta wrote:
Hey, wait, if he takes it down to mount the camera on it, does that mean it came down before the season is over?? WINNER!!! :)

Not unless he drops it off the roof in the midst of taking it down. I'm reading it to "fall", as opposed to "Jim took it down temporarily to mount a camera"...

what if it falls as I am taking it down?

only if you fall with it, and then we definitely want video of THAT, so don't drop the camera on the way down. :)

Don Gillespie wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:

No there is no bonus if Jim falls down, however if he does fall down I get dibbs on his contollers and his mega tree:P now that I have said this I hope you don`t fall down :) we would all be sad :( some of the members might be happy :D others might be mad :X there are some that could be suprised :shock: and some that might be confused :) if you haven`t figure it out I am trying to see how many emoticons I can use in one post ;) but once his tree is working it should be rather bright :cool: ok I have run out, I have no idea what the guy wearing sunglasses and a hat means so I am done.

Geez Don, thats a lot of frickin emoticons...:D:D:D

DonFL wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:

No there is no bonus if Jim falls down, however if he does fall down I get dibbs on his contollers and his mega tree:P now that I have said this I hope you don`t fall down :) we would all be sad :( some of the members might be happy :D others might be mad :X there are some that could be suprised :shock: and some that might be confused :) if you haven`t figure it out I am trying to see how many emoticons I can use in one post ;) but once his tree is working it should be rather bright :cool: ok I have run out, I have no idea what the guy wearing sunglasses and a hat means so I am done.

Geez Don, thats a lot of frickin emoticons...:D:D:D
I guess he is feeling very "emo"tional about the topic!!

Don Gillespie wrote:

just a picture of your mega tree on another thread all bets are off you have them weighted down with sand bags and guide wires how is this thing supposed to fall downattachment.php?id=15424

Last years did not fall down from what I remember him saying.. It was more of a broken back issue...

Don Gillespie wrote:

just a picture of your mega tree on another thread all bets are off you have them weighted down with sand bags and guide wires how is this thing supposed to fall downattachment.php?id=15424

where are those lost wire cutters? Cut one of the guy wires...J/K. I think this one might outlast the house.

MikeH

Guest Don Gillespie

MikeH wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

where are those lost wire cutters? Cut one of the guy wires...J/K. I think this one might outlast the house.

MikeH

LMFO

Attached files 279467=15492-funny face.gif

I'm just looking at this thing and thinking that some poor hapless West Seattle Bald Eagle is going to think this would make a great perch and bring the whole thing down....either that or Jim has too much weight on his roof and it's going to go straight down into the house. :(

Don Gillespie wrote:

had the same sand bags and guy wires last year...

when the mast bends...no amount of guy wires will help it from falling...

JoeKinne wrote:

I'm just looking at this thing and thinking that some poor hapless West Seattle Bald Eagle is going to think this would make a great perch and bring the whole thing down....either that or Jim has too much weight on his roof and it's going to go straight down into the house. :(

96 strings of lights I estimate to weigh just under 150lbs...

plus another 120lb of sandbags...

mast and star weigh less than 25lbs...

and we do have Bald Eagles that nest in the area...about 1 mile away...

Arnoldc wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

Last years did not fall down from what I remember him saying.. It was more of a broken back issue...
Actually the tree that fell last year was my 20' Weber tree (this is my 13' Mega Tree...16' with the 3D star).

Last year I had "Streamers" on the guy wires...each "streamer" was a 3/4" piece of PVC wrapped with 4 - 50 ct Strings of RGBW and there were 6 "Streamers" on each guy wire (so 6 times 5 times 200 lights = 6000 lights) The guy wires are 60' x 3/16" wire rope. I even had 4 "real" guy wires half way down the mast. So there was a LOT of weight pulling down on my aluminum mast. Origiainlly (and after the great fall) there were a total of 9 guy wires, all with the same amount of streams (so 10,800 lights - 216 channels). Well...the mast bent (right above where the middle guys wires were) and as soon as it started to bend, all the other guy wires went slack, so it fell pretty easily with all that weight going in one direction.

I WAS going to replace the streamers with CCB's this year...but we know that story...

So I still am going to attach snowflakes and Dripping Icicle Lights to the 5 guy wires this year...

DonFL wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

So I still am going to attach snowflakes and Dripping Icicle Lights to the 5 guy wires this year..

Said another way, you are going to continue to tempt fate...:):P

you aren't living life to the fullest if you're not tempting fate... :(

Hey Jim,

I'm curious as to what you connected the guy wires to?

Lowes have a 16' tall Santa that I'd love to put on the roof. Just can't figure out how to fasten the tie downs. I refuse to drill holes in the roof. lol

Thanks

Jerry

LORisAwesome wrote:

Hey Jim,

I'm curious as to what you connected the guy wires to?

If you look at the first post and picture you can see some of my mini trees. These are on 1-1/2 conduit that go into sleeves that are cemented into the ground. The sleeves are about 2' in length...conduit are 10' sections (and filled with cement so they don't bend so much), so about 8' is above ground. The guy wires are attached to the top of these. I also have two guy wires going from the top of the mega tree in the back that are anchored to the base of the 4x4's of the fence in the backyard.

Also, two if the front guy wires are actually anchored to the pagoda you see in the foreground since it was in the way of two of my mini tree poles and one could not be anchored in the ground as it was in the middle of the sidewalk.