Light-O-Rama Forums

20' Mega Tree density?

roknjohn

Mark Showalter wrote:

caniac wrote:
Ok, what is a super string and what is a super strand?

Multiple light strings twisted together to put more light bulbs in the same length of sting.

Ditto above: However in my case, I have three different colors in the same strand. It helps cut down on set-up time.

Also here is a photo of the 2011 Mega-Tree. You might be able to see the "spiral" lights which are new for 2011.

Attached files 280916=15592-IMG_6406 (2).JPG

brownjm74 wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
caniac wrote:
Ok, what is a super string and what is a super strand?

Multiple light strings twisted together to put more light bulbs in the same length of sting.

Ditto above: However in my case, I have three different colors in the same strand. It helps cut down on set-up time.

Also here is a photo of the 2011 Mega-Tree. You might be able to see the "spiral" lights which are new for 2011.
The Spirals look really good, I am too far behind this year to do it, so next year...I am putting up my 20 footer this weekend...but i'm going to keep the strings seperated, 96 strings with 3 colors, 48 channels. When you did your spirals, how did you go about starting, did you lower the hook head, leave the strands hanging, and spin one at a time, or how??

Back to the original question as to whether 14 strands will be enough...

I use 20 strands of each color (bundled together) on my 20' mega tree and my spacing looks a bit to far apart, in my humble opinion. Since my tree is toward the back of the yard, I have often flattened it out which actually brings the spacing closer together and looks more full and I really don't miss the 3D effect. This year I am going back to 3D and trying a spiral tree.

The bottom line, no matter how many strands you use, you will still dazzle the neighbors who hang three strands under the eves and call it done.

I have a 20' tree with a 30' circumference (3 10' conduit sticks) at the bottom, I use 72 strings all separated (not superstrings) with spacing at 5" between strings and it looks pretty good. I may add more strings next year and go to superstrings in I am real ambitious.