Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Don Gillespie

Changing contoller ID numbers

Interesting .. is this going to force an upgrade to S3 for those getting G3 boards? Or will LOR come out with a patch to S2.. say.. 2.9.6 to recognize the new boards?

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Interesting .. is this going to force an upgrade to S3 for those getting G3 boards? Or will LOR come out with a patch to S2.. say.. 2.9.6 to recognize the new boards?

I don't think so. Go back and look at my last post. I was able to see/control a G3 board with S2 software.

Guest Don Gillespie

Don wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I don't think so. Go back and look at my last post. I was able to see/control a G3 board with S2 software.

ok I downloaded S3 still the HWU can not find any controllers maybe Dan or Bob will have an answer tomorrow untill then I have no idea.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Don wrote:
TJ Hvasta wrote:

ok I downloaded S3 still the HWU can not find any controllers maybe Dan or Bob will have an answer tomorrow untill then I have no idea.

Don G.,

It cannot find any of your 3 new Gen 3 controllers?

Guest Don Gillespie

Just went outside and grabbed an old controller plugged it in and came back to HWU pressed refresh and it found that controller right away so I know that the HWU is working properly, I might have 3 bad new G3 controllers will wait untill I talk to Dan or Bob the only difference in the controllers is the old controllers have a red LED that flashes and new controllers have a green LED that flashes so far that is what I have noticed. my first 7 controllers are recogonized by my HWU the 3 new controllers are not. keep in mind the 7 controllers are my original controllers.

I am trying to give all the info that I can because I know to recieve the correct help you have to have all the info for anyone to help you. :D

This is just weird!

Thanks to Don T., my theory was proved wrong, and I'm glad it was.

It really seems odd that you would have received 3 new Gen 3 controllers with the same problem.

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

This is just weird!

Thanks to Don T., my theory was proved wrong, and I'm glad it was.

It really seems odd that you would have received 3 new Gen 3 controllers with the same problem.

Well sheeeeet happens not the end of the world just glad we found out early enough to give LOR a chance to repair it. :D

FYI, I've had several pc kits that couldn't be found in the HU until I just assigned them an ID. working fine since.

Don wrote:

Okay. I just wiped out 3.0 on a computer, and re-installed 2.9.4.

I can see a G3 controller, though I get the expected "Unknown Device???" text instead of the version.

I was also able to change the ID from 01 to 04.

The controller responded to commands sent to it via the HWU.

It also responds to commands sent to it from the SE.

Thanks Don for doing this research. Would like to get some clarity on this one and understand where the error is coming from.

Guest guest

Don did you download the LOR_DevileFile.txt and put it in the correct directory?

I know on Win XP that file is in the C:Light-O-Rama directory.

At least that is where it is on my computer, don't have any G3 controllers to test, but I did download and copy that file to the directory where it's located.

Looking inside the file, it shows G3 controllers, so if this file is downloaded and placed where it needs to be, your 2.9.4 HW *should* be able to find those new G3 controllers.

At least logic points that direction.

Except Don no longer has 2.9.4 on his computer. He up graded to 3.0.2 earlier this afternoon.

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

Except Don no longer has 2.9.4 on his computer. He up graded to 3.0.2 earlier this afternoon.

Update thread moved to the hardware section still no luck with the HWU recogonizing the new controllers no problem with the old contollers

Guest Don Gillespie

here is a photo of the new controller

Attached files 278289=15434-I-phone pics 001.jpg

Guest Don Gillespie

here is a photo of the old controller

Attached files 278290=15435-I-phone pics.jpg

Guest Don Gillespie

Things I noticed but I am not sure if they make a difference, first of all when you plug the Cat5 cable into the old controllers the plug in is different than the new controller, secondly there is a little box in the middle of the controllers on the old controllers there are numbers on it on the new controllers there are no numbers it looks as though there is glue or something on them, not sure if this affects the operation of the controllers.

A box in the middle of the board with numbers or no numbers? The transformer? Or the chip where the Logo would be? And I see the Cat5 sockets are flipped.. same place, just flipped, the release tab is on the bottom rather than the top..

The Gen 3 boards look to be stripped down even more. Maybe its missing to many parts to work.:shock::?

You have upgraded to S3 and the HWU still won't recognize the gen3 boards?

Guest Don Gillespie

TJ Hvasta wrote:

A box in the middle of the board with numbers or no numbers? The transformer? Or the chip where the Logo would be? And I see the Cat5 sockets are flipped.. same place, just flipped, the release tab is on the bottom rather than the top..

yes thats right, it could be the transformer I am not sure what that is but on the old controllers you can see that they are clean and neat these on the new controllers seemed used ??????

Guest Don Gillespie

Paul Roberson wrote:

The Gen 3 boards look to be stripped down even more. Maybe its missing to many parts to work.:shock::?

You have upgraded to S3 and the HWU still won't recognize the gen3 boards?

Thats right upgraded yesterday the HWU still won't reconize the new controllers Dan had me try to hook up an old controller and then remove the Cat5 line and plug into the new controller I did that and the new controller LED kept flashing it wouldn't stay on solid like the old controller I haven't heard back from Dan yet still waiting

Guest Don Gillespie

UPDATE :D

I used my laptop ( I have no idea why I decided to try this) to set the ID numbers on my new controllers guess what, worked perfectly, so then I hooked everything up to my main computer and tried to locate the new controllers and guess what it worked I must have a bad HWU on my main computer I have no clue but everything is working fine thanks to all who tried to help, once I let Dan know I am sure he will be able to cross one more burden off his list.

Strange, but GREAT news, Don.

i had the same problem. it finally worked. i still get unknown device. when i try a sequence . that i know works. the lights that i hooked on the new controller don't respond like it should.

Guest wbottomley

drmm wrote:

i had the same problem. it finally worked. i still get unknown device. when i try a sequence . that i know works. the lights that i hooked on the new controller don't respond like it should.

You have or had the same problem?

i have the same setup .same problems. i changed the new controller ID.utility's finds my 4 units but says unknown device. when i run a sequence. the 3 older controllers responds like they should. the gen 3 doesn't. the lights response isn't close at all. i am having communication problems with this controller.