Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing contoller ID numbers

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

Don,

That has been the problem all along. LOR S2 was released way back in 2008 and 2.9.4 was released in Dec 2010. The new Gen 3 controllers did not exist then, so S2 software doesn't know what they are or that they even exist.

We had to upgrade our software in Oct 2009 when the CCRs were first introduced, as the previous versions didn't know what they were.

makes perfect sense John I was looking inside the box instead of outside the box the solution was too easy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBullard

• shfr26

• Paul Roberson

• Don

Don, the reason I asked you to open a support ticket yesterday was so that there would be an "official" heads up to LOR that this was going to be an issue as the new Gen 3 controllers are being shipped out and "old diehards" are still using S2 software.

As busy as LOR is right now, they don't have time to monitor the "newbie" forums fot something like this.

Maybe if the post had been started in the Hardware section, someone might have seen it, or maybe not.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
I'm with Pete I thought the LORTray needed to be 'unloaded' for firmware upgrades?

First I have heard of this, I am running the 2.9.4 Advanced the new controllers are the G3 don't know if that makes a difference or not, no panic yet lots of time to get this issue resolved.

Just for the record, the Control Panel does NOT have to be closed when using the Hardware Utility.

This issue is as stated previously. S2 software not reconizing a new Gen 3 controller. S3 software will work great.

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

Don, the reason I asked you to open a support ticket yesterday was so that there would be an "official" heads up to LOR that this was going to be an issue as the new Gen 3 controllers are being shipped out and "old diehards" are still using S2 software.

As busy as LOR is right now, they don't have time to monitor the "newbie" forums fot something like this.

Maybe if the post had been started in the Hardware section, someone might have seen it, or maybe not.

Thanks John one more question for you I am currently running 2.9.4 Advanced when I go to the upgrade page I have no clue as to what I should get it is not showing me that option it shows basic to basic plus so I am confused on which one to get I want the best any recomendations secondly I am going to e-mail LOR and see if they can move this thread to the hardware section where it belongs

Okay. I just wiped out 3.0 on a computer, and re-installed 2.9.4.

I can see a G3 controller, though I get the expected "Unknown Device???" text instead of the version.

I was also able to change the ID from 01 to 04.

The controller responded to commands sent to it via the HWU.

It also responds to commands sent to it from the SE.

Guest Don Gillespie

Don wrote:

I can see a G3 controller, though I get the expected "Unknown Device???" text instead of the version.

interesting my HWU doesn't even recognize the controller

Don Gillespie wrote:

interesting my HWU doesn't even recognize the controller

No idea. That's an odd one.

I've re-assigned your ticket to Dan/Bob. They are going to have to look at this one. I don't know the answer.

Don wrote:

Thanks Don,

I did not have a Gen 3 controller on hand to test with, I was trying to think through the logic similar to what happened when I received my CCRs and the current software at that time (2.4.08) required them to be operated only in legacy mode. Thank goodness 2.5.2 was released quickly on 10/16/09 that fixed it.

Don Gillespie wrote:

JBullard wrote:

Thanks John one more question for you I am currently running 2.9.4 Advanced when I go to the upgrade page I have no clue as to what I should get it is not showing me that option it shows basic to basic plus so I am confused on which one to get I want the best any recomendations secondly I am going to e-mail LOR and see if they can move this thread to the hardware section where it belongs

Don G,

You need to RENEW your license, not upgrade. Go to this page:

http://store.lightorama.com/solire.html

As soon as you download your software, your license key will allow you to use in the Advanced mode.

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
JBullard wrote:

Don G,

You need to RENEW your license, not upgrade. Go to this page:

http://store.lightorama.com/solire.html

As soon as you download your software, your license key will allow you to use in the Advanced mode.

Thanks John :)

Interesting .. is this going to force an upgrade to S3 for those getting G3 boards? Or will LOR come out with a patch to S2.. say.. 2.9.6 to recognize the new boards?

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Interesting .. is this going to force an upgrade to S3 for those getting G3 boards? Or will LOR come out with a patch to S2.. say.. 2.9.6 to recognize the new boards?

I don't think so. Go back and look at my last post. I was able to see/control a G3 board with S2 software.

Guest Don Gillespie

Don wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I don't think so. Go back and look at my last post. I was able to see/control a G3 board with S2 software.

ok I downloaded S3 still the HWU can not find any controllers maybe Dan or Bob will have an answer tomorrow untill then I have no idea.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Don wrote:
TJ Hvasta wrote:

ok I downloaded S3 still the HWU can not find any controllers maybe Dan or Bob will have an answer tomorrow untill then I have no idea.

Don G.,

It cannot find any of your 3 new Gen 3 controllers?

Guest Don Gillespie

Just went outside and grabbed an old controller plugged it in and came back to HWU pressed refresh and it found that controller right away so I know that the HWU is working properly, I might have 3 bad new G3 controllers will wait untill I talk to Dan or Bob the only difference in the controllers is the old controllers have a red LED that flashes and new controllers have a green LED that flashes so far that is what I have noticed. my first 7 controllers are recogonized by my HWU the 3 new controllers are not. keep in mind the 7 controllers are my original controllers.

I am trying to give all the info that I can because I know to recieve the correct help you have to have all the info for anyone to help you. :D

This is just weird!

Thanks to Don T., my theory was proved wrong, and I'm glad it was.

It really seems odd that you would have received 3 new Gen 3 controllers with the same problem.

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

This is just weird!

Thanks to Don T., my theory was proved wrong, and I'm glad it was.

It really seems odd that you would have received 3 new Gen 3 controllers with the same problem.

Well sheeeeet happens not the end of the world just glad we found out early enough to give LOR a chance to repair it. :D

Don wrote:

Thanks Don for doing this research. Would like to get some clarity on this one and understand where the error is coming from.

Don did you download the LOR_DevileFile.txt and put it in the correct directory?

I know on Win XP that file is in the C:Light-O-Rama directory.

At least that is where it is on my computer, don't have any G3 controllers to test, but I did download and copy that file to the directory where it's located.

Looking inside the file, it shows G3 controllers, so if this file is downloaded and placed where it needs to be, your 2.9.4 HW *should* be able to find those new G3 controllers.

At least logic points that direction.