Light-O-Rama Forums

is it me or is the seller getting paid!

dito

Ok, I'm new to this "hobby". but am i missing something or is the seller getting the better end of the deal here? i know from experience selling camera gear(im a photogrpher) that ebay bidders can be really stupid on what prices they will pay. LOR1600W new is $320, but he/she is selling a 2 yr old unit for almost the same price as new! plus they have 2 more units 4yrs old (one with a faulty channel) and those are going for the same price also! the only thing i see why it's this price is because of "out of stock" at LOR... your thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190595184784?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190595185991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190595186507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You aren't missing anything...

I would guess that the bidders have no idea where to look to find the price of a new unit and that they have seen the videos on YouTube and JUST HAVE TO HAVE that thing that makes the lights go blinky blinky...no mater what the cost is to them...

"Each of the 16 independent channels has a number of special effects such as dimming, ramping, twinkle and shimmer."

Not without the programming software and sequencing they don't!

Missing nothing!

Along with Jim's comment that people probably don't now where to look, the other fact could be desperation (immediate gratification wanted).

I'm not sure if LOR has them in stock for this late in the year or how long the build and shipping will take. Those buyers just might want them now, and that seller is ready to ship.

Hey there is a bright now to this, the resell value of LOR is sure a lot better than a 2 year old car :)

James George wrote:

"Each of the 16 independent channels has a number of special effects such as dimming, ramping, twinkle and shimmer."

Not without the programming software and sequencing they don't!

Just playing devils advocate here, but if the hardware didn't support the dimming, twinkle, etc., then all the software in the world wouldn't fix it.

In fact, few years back a firmware update was released that allowed for the fading twinkle and fading shimmer. Before that firmware (and thus the hardware) programming it would be have been pointless, as the hardware wouldn't support it.

I was not surprised by the $30 for postage. Just ask LOR. Those older metal units are really heavy and cost a lot to ship... even by ground.

It is a sellers market. If buyers need it that deperately, the price will go up. I, likeall else, thought there would be plenty of availability. Who would have thought it?

I feel sorry. For the guy i told to wait. If he had not, he would have the stuff he needs

Recently, postage (and packaging) for two LOR1602's came to $61. A single LOR1602MP3 came to $41 (including packaging by the local UPS store). That was from the west coast to the east coast. FYI

they are steep but it is not buy it now it's an auction so who ever bid on them drove up the price

• 1 month later...

Shubb:

What kind of controllers 1602's or kits? I am curious, I want to expand by at least 2 more kits wish 4, what kind of offer will you be interested in?

Dave

Your a few weeks too late. All the controllers I had were sold within 24 hours of that post.

FYI, They were PC controllers, I had a few bare cards and the complete kits in plastic boxes.

Scott

Shubb:
I plan on getting the kits this year, 3+ where can I get the snazzy enclosures to put them in, either 1 per or 2 per.

Dave

Stuff selling for more than it is worth always happens at auctions. All it takes is two people to want it. I used to sell once fired shotgun shells on ebay and once got more for them than they cost me new.

DGraham wrote:

Shubb:
I plan on getting the kits this year, 3+ where can I get the snazzy enclosures to put them in, either 1 per or 2 per.

Dave

I had 10 boxes custom made by a local plastic shop.
It can fit up to four controllers with slide out sides for easy access. They work good, except not completly watertite.
I just cover them with a black trash bag (which helps them hide into the bushes) and they work great.

You can buy enclosures at your local electrical supplier, and in some cases may find them at the home improvement centers (although I would wager they won't have them in a size useful for LOR controllers).

Click here for what a NEMA 3 metal enclosure looks like. This is a typical electrical enclosure and would require a backing plate to mount a controller. You'd need to get a proper size for you application; this example would work for a single controller.

Click here to see a NEMA 4 non-metallic enclosure. Same things applies regarding the backing plate. Again, get a proper size enclosure for your application!

You'll likely find that the best deal on plastic enclosures is actually from LOR. Their plastic enclosure is $24. I am not sure if they offer the metal enclosure or not, but they aren't too expensive if you look around some (the prices on the links above are higher than I'd pay). Granted, you can't get two in a single box, but then you will most likely have more cash for other things.

If you do buy an enclosure that will be located in a wet area (where it can get rained/snowed on), then make sure to get a NEMA 3 or 4 enclosure. A NEMA 1 enclosure is not weather resistant.

Custom enclosures... In my experience, unless you are building a huge purpose built cabinet or have a specific odd ball size requirement, they aren't a cost effective solution. You may find other wise, but I have never come out ahead going that route.