Light-O-Rama Forums

Solved: Sometimes copy to clipboard doesn't work

DanR

I figured out a strange copy paste issue (using CTRL-C/V) I was experiencing in SS.

When you select a lighting event with the mouse, the setup dialog for that event is displayed. The problem is that keyboard focus is left in the dialog so that when you copy (what you think) is the selected lighting event, it really is not copied to the clipboard.

What makes it difficult to duplicate is if the setup dialog is already displayed for that type of lighting event (image, morph, etc.), focus is not given to the dialog and now copy works for the selected lighting event.

The toolbar copy button always works because it grabs the focus before performing the copy function.

Not really solved, but I don't have to pull any more hair out when copying large sections of events.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

DanR wrote:

I figured out a strange copy paste issue (using CTRL-C/V) I was experiencing in SS.

When you select a lighting event with the mouse, the setup dialog for that event is displayed. The problem is that keyboard focus is left in the dialog so that when you copy (what you think) is the selected lighting event, it really is not copied to the clipboard.

What makes it difficult to duplicate is if the setup dialog is already displayed for that type of lighting event (image, morph, etc.), focus is not given to the dialog and now copy works for the selected lighting event.

The toolbar copy button always works because it grabs the focus before performing the copy function.

Not really solved, but I don't have to pull any more hair out when copying large sections of events.

Dan

You are absolutely right on describing the behavior. If a dialog box has focus, then Ctrl + C is going to go to the dialog box. The operating system has to work that way, in order to support things like copying text in a field in a dialog box. So Ctrl + C is only going to copy effects if the main screen has focus.

Since you create a new setup dialog because a lighting event has been clicked on, after creating the dialog can you change focus back to the lighting event window?

That way cut/copy/paste will work consistantly.

(more of a future enhancement!)

DanR wrote:

Since you create a new setup dialog because a lighting event has been clicked on, after creating the dialog can you change focus back to the lighting event window?

That way cut/copy/paste will work consistantly.

(more of a future enhancement!)

Well after thinking about this for a while and trying some things in the software, you convinced me that it is rare that you would want focus to go to the dialog box. In the next release, when you select an effect, focus will stay on the main screen so you can do Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy/paste effects.