Light-O-Rama Forums

Decent audio outpout from PC??

Guest guest

Hi all,
I am running a show on a laptop. I am running the audio out from the headphone jack to a Y into a 100 watt receiver then to some average stereo speakers. I have the PC volume at about 75% and still have to turn up the Reciever volume to close to 75% to get a good outdoor volume. This is by no means blasting a way, and I am thinking I should not have to turn it up that loud to get good volume. I have seen that some of you are using FM Tramsmitters. Are any of you running this through a receiver and is the quality and volume good. I know if I turn on my tuner or cd on the receiver it is much louder than the PC input. I am open to any suggestions that may help.

Flanman

EDIT.. Sorry I should have posted this in the Music forum. I will post over there. You can close this thread. Sorry for the ignorance.

What I did was I had a pair of powered computer speakers ( I dont know what watt ) Since I was in a hurry I thought I could make somthing quick for the first night. So what I did was I opend up one of the speakers and soldered some speaker wire onto the contacts on the other end I have a speaker about the type most people have in their home. The sound is great! With the wave and master sliders in the computer along with the volume on the speakers, I am capable of getting very loud sound. So what was a temperary idea turned out into a ideal plan. Also since the powered comp speakers are so cheap I can turn them on and off everynight and not worry about breaking somthing!

---Daniel L

I've had that problem sometimes when I'm feeding audio to a mixer board. Generally, the audio out level is set too low. In XP, look at your Volume Control panel - either double click the little speaker in the system tray or look in START -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Device - and adjust the Volume Control AND the Wave levels.

The ouput from your laptop will need to go to an amplifier of some sort - you will not be able to drive speakers of any size with the output of the laptop. Computer speakers that have their own power adapter have a small amplifier inside and may be able to get loud enough for you.

I output my audio from the laptop head phone jack (Full Volume) into 2 stacked 'Y's (1 for a monitor, 1 for the FM Transmitter, 1 for a wireless transmitter assigned to two wireless outdoor speakers) The speakers are externally powered and the output is far more that I need.

It's a great setup, like you in AZ, it's nice a WARM! here (Oops, did I say that out-loud) so the walker's and open car windows can hear as well as the drive-up's.

PS, did you ever get any of the sequences redone for your setup?

Take care

I am curious what you are using to play your music. If you are using winamp like I do you might have to turn the winamp equalizer up. I to am using the Belkin, and I have a speaker playing outside all from my laptop. Out of the headphone jack I have a headphone splitter. One side of the splitter goes to the Belkin which transmits, the other side goes to my speakers. For my speakers I am using a set of computer speakers, except for the one going to the left jack I am using one of my extra Yamaha home sterio speakers (this is the one outside). With this setup if I really wanted to I could get my neighbors upset, it produces some really good volume. But since I am now using the Belkin also, I have the speaker turned down so my only my customers walking to my office door can hear.

JR

Thanks to all for the feedback.

1. I do have both the main and wave volume set to 75-80 % in XP. I am trying to go to loud to avoid distortion from the pc.

2. I am playing the audio direclty out of the LOR Scheduler. I have tested with just Windows media player, but same type of results. I am just running a standard RCA Y jack into a Sherwood 100 watt receiver, then out to the speakers. So I do have something powering the speakers. Speakers are just a basic set of KLH 100 watt 3 way speaker. Next year I will mount some outdoor speakers under the eve.

3. Yes I have about 9 sequences up and running. I created most of them and copied two from this board. They are working great. Other than my small audio volume issue everthing is running great. My wife thinks I am a nut for going out every night and watching them. I am trying to see if I can get one video taped, but I just have not had the time yet.

flanman

To narrow down your problems, unplug the laptop audio out and substitute an iPod or CD player or something else that is supposed to feed just a set of headphones. If you get the same result - volume is too low - it's a problem with your receiver/speaker setup. If the problem goes away, the problem is likely in your laptop hardware/software.