Light-O-Rama Forums

Need a idea for putting lights on vinyl siding

christmasfrenzy

Im trying to do every lip on the vinyl siding in steady lights but the problem is the clips they sell only go on certain lips so i need something that i can put on every lip, i saw the 3m ones but they are expensive for a two pack and i woudl probably need some type of hook and alot of them. please let me know if you have any suggestions.

It depends on how long of a stretch and what you are willing to do. In my old house I used 1 5/8 decking screws at the edges and strung lights from one side to another. As the years went on, those screws went in everywhere in the siding.
I left them in all year long so the holes would not grow over time, and when I sold it, I spent 1/2 a day on a ladder with silicone and a putty knife.

Jim Saul wrote:

It depends on how long of a stretch and what you are willing to do. In my old house I used 1 5/8 decking screws at the edges and strung lights from one side to another. As the years went on, those screws went in everywhere in the siding.
I left them in all year long so the holes would not grow over time, and when I sold it, I spent 1/2 a day on a ladder with silicone and a putty knife.

Ditto: I use decking screws with a small dab of silicon, and attach tie wrap holders; leave them up all year, so far no problems.

christmasfrenzy wrote:

I'm trying to do every lip on the vinyl siding in steady lights but the problem is the clips they sell only go on certain lips so i need something that i can put on every lip, i saw the 3m ones but they are expensive for a two pack and i would probably need some type of hook and alot of them. please let me know if you have any suggestions.
put your location in so we have an idea of what weather conditions you have to deal with. In Alberta Canada there are freezing temp issues while in Florida you have to deal with humidity and sometimes wind.