Light-O-Rama Forums
Bhewson

First Mega Spiral Tree

David Rise wrote:

Just a suggestion...

I would use 3/4" PVC for anything bigger than 7ft.

I was also thinking that if you make the middle ring pieces 5" instead of 4", you should be able to make a little bit larger top ring and use T fittings in between the 45's. That would eliminate screwing the caps into the top ring.

Not sure if that will work or not. I had some extra t fittings and made a top ring, but didn't work very well with the current setup.
I would have tried it, but I had already glued the rings...
I tried the T fitting first but it made the tree not as tapered as I wanted, but it would have been good.
I would try that set up making the tree 8 ft or so but you may need to adjust the base diameter and center support Diameter.
As for height I'm not sure I would try this PVC tree much larger than 9 ft. and agree with thevikester for the big trees.

On a side note,
Merry Christmas to all here at LOR forum

KX6D wrote:

scubado wrote:
Good eye for catching that! :) You gotta be careful of the pics you post around here, you never know what someone will take notice of, such as the mower or purple panties...:shock:

How many people scrolled back up looking for the purple panties?! Be honest!

I'm guilty

thevikester wrote:

KX6D wrote:
scubado wrote:
Good eye for catching that! :) You gotta be careful of the pics you post around here, you never know what someone will take notice of, such as the mower or purple panties...:shock:

How many people scrolled back up looking for the purple panties?! Be honest!

I'm guilty
I think I actually found them.......ooops

Well folks. Here it is in action.

I'm going to redo it and make 2 of them 8ft for next year.
My 105 count lights have over a foot left after 2 complete wraps.
During next year, I'm going to try and wrap 8 more strings going the other direction.

That's really only 8 channels. I like it. My. Hoa is going to hate me next year

Just completed the dry fit for my first Spiral Tree for 2012. So far this has been one of the easiest projects I have done. Spent about 3 hours so far including shopping for the parts, cutting peices and fitting everything together. I am not sure that I am actually going to glue the pvc. It seems to stay together well now and I think once the lights are wrapped around it, it should be completely stable. This will give me options for storage and moving.

OK I am working on mine for this year and have a problem. Light spacing. I have 100ct incan lights that are 20.6ft long. I am folding them in half, but can't get them to work on the tree. I have tried the 3"/4.5", 4", and even 6" spacing down the tubes. The 6" gets me the closest to the ground, but the strand stops about 12" from the ground. Any help? What am I doing wrong?

Would someone take a "screen shot" of the LOR programming for me please. I want to make sure that this is just on-off or is some fading involved? I have several tree's,arches,ect but I too am going to give this a shot. Thanks for the reading enjoyment again....

I can only speak for myself. But I use chase, on and off, fades shimmer, etc.
PM me and I send you a couple sequences.

imawlkr2 wrote:

OK I am working on mine for this year and have a problem. Light spacing. I have 100ct incan lights that are 20.6ft long. I am folding them in half, but can't get them to work on the tree. I have tried the 3"/4.5", 4", and even 6" spacing down the tubes. The 6" gets me the closest to the ground, but the strand stops about 12" from the ground. Any help? What am I doing wrong?
I set mine at 3" for the top half and 5" on the bottom half. With this I was able to fold a 100 incan mini strand in half and it went top to bottom two wraps. Last year I did it different because I switched to 100 strand LED which were longer and folded them in thirds, wrapping it around only 1.5 times.

I got my measurement from just hooking the strand at top and wrapped it around twice, then marked where each strand touched, measured and put the same marks on all uprights. it was only a fluke that I was able to fold the strand in half, it wasn't planned that way.
Hope that helps a bit

imawlkr2 wrote:

Wierd that your's won't touch the ground. My strings are 105ct LEDs and I had a foot left over. Wrapped twice around and the spacing didn't work for me. So I did what Jerry did and wrapped them and marked the uprights. I still had an extra space, so I ended up using 9 channels instead of 8.

I'm guessing strings are different lenghts based on incans, leds, manufacturer, etc...

This year, I'm going to make my uprights 45". That will take care of the extra foot.

I've designed my first megatree but its not been assembled all the way yet for this next season. I'm doing a 15 foot one using 1 inch black pipe as the center, pvc collar thing that I've attached hooks too for hanging the light strands on. A screw on flange on top for the guide wires. The base is pvc, 8 foot circle which is already built and I'm hoping this will work. I'm going to stake down the base ring. The center pole goes up over a "5/8 inch pole that will be driven in the ground. Yes, I placed a winch on the main center pole as I don't have a ladder tall enough to hang lights on. There'll also be guide wires for the spiral, to the ring. This summer, I'll put it together and see if it really works this way or not. Sorry no pictures of it assembled as it simply hasn't been put all the way together yet.

As in this pic posted earlier. My strands stop at about the same hight from the bottom. Thought about leaving it that way so they aren't buried in snow, but if we have a winter like this past, there won't be any snow and it may look odd having trees hover off the ground a foot.

Bhewson wrote:

Closeup of tree

Attached files 311585=17034-060.JPG

I think I figured out my problem. My spacing on my lights is only 2.5". If you guys are using 100ct lights with 4" spacing, then your strands are about 13' longer. So that is about 7.5' of extra length when folded in half. Guess I need to determine my own coil for my length or not fold them in half.

I found a calculator here in the forums for a spiral tree, Ms Excel based and it does all the spacing, length vs wraps and tie-offs for you.

I'm a newbie here and planning a 15 foot megatree. Please someone stop me if my thoughts are messed up. I'm doing 1 inch black pipe, set over a "5/8ths inch pipe pounded into the ground. A hard base over/around it that has the black-pipe attached to it and yes, steel guide wires off the top/flange to keep it in position. The outside ring will be a 8 foot diameter circle of pvc that I've covered with insulation to keep it dark. This circle will be staked down. More steel guide wires run from the top of the pipe to this circle for line supports. At the top of the pipe, I've hung a pvc collar type thing and expoxied into it, 32 hooks for the strings. Once the pipe and base circle are in place, then the strings will get hung. Just in case I can't reach things, I've added a hand-winch/pulley to the whole thing to crank up the string holding collar.

I've not put it all together yet so no pictures but that's coming shortly as I need a proof of concept before its too late to re-design if needed.

wowlights.com is having a memorial day sale, spent a ton this weekend there.got my 4th contoller, fm radio and a few strobes, saved over $100.00 off their regular prices.

We built a 10 foot tree out of pvc using 10' sticks for the outside cut with Ts at the center. we used 45s to create the hexagon. we used Ts for the middle support and for the cap. I used sheet metal screws at the bottom and top. We glued the cap and the base and certain pieces for easy storage. When we started putting lights on it some started to bow...so my husband had to build a metal support... I have a lot of lights on it for wedges and still have to put lights on for the spiral

I wish the pictures still showed on the forum, would like to get going on these...the material lists, etc...all gone when they did the conversion. Not sure if that is something that can be retrieved?

If you want to view pictures that don't show up in the new forums copy the text that shows up instead into the url bar and type forums.lightorama.com in front of it

If you want to view pictures that don't show up in the new forums copy the text that shows up instead into the url bar and type forums.lightorama.com in front of it

I will give that a shot...thanks O'Malley!

LORi P wrote:

Lori,

Check out this link.

Hope this helps out.

I used this as a guide for myself as well. However I did mine with a 7 foot tree. It seems to "spin" more.