Light-O-Rama Forums

First Mega Spiral Tree

Bhewson

Jerry, so I loved your tree so much I decided to sequence it then build it. YEAH well my show goes live in 5 days and was able to finish one but the wrapping just isnt right. I did the 4" spacing on the screws but the spiral just doesnt look good. ANY tips would help how you did the spiral. I have one more to go. I was breaking down your video and it looks like you have about 26 screws in the uprights. I only have 22. What spacing is on your tree.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jerryb721

• Bhewson

• David Rise

• thevikester

navykidd02 wrote:

Jerry, so I loved your tree so much I decided to sequence it then build it. YEAH well my show goes live in 5 days and was able to finish one but the wrapping just isnt right. I did the 4" spacing on the screws but the spiral just doesnt look good. ANY tips would help how you did the spiral. I have one more to go. I was breaking down your video and it looks like you have about 26 screws in the uprights. I only have 22. What spacing is on your tree.

If you like the way the spiral looked in my youtube vids then here is what my spacing was, I have 3" spacing on the top uprights and 4.5" on the bottom uprights.
Hope it helps!

Thanks Jerry, That helped alot. Still had some wrapping issues but I this wrap much better then the other. My wife and mother said they look the same but to the trained eye I hate the other one. So for now it is gonna have to do. Thanks alot I put up pics later.

jerryb721 wrote:
Just went out and measured the distance, I have 3" spacing on the top uprights and 4.5" on the bottom uprights.

Thanks so much, 100 ct lights fits perfect doubled.
-Trish

Dulahey wrote:

How would this method work for a 12' tree? or even up to a 20' tree? Would it take too much PVC and not be worth it? Other methods cheaper?

I would think larger trees, you would want to go with steel cables(guy wires) and use a couple of PVC rings for support...someone on the form did a nice tutorial on that...he actually used a pully system on a 20 footer, and you string the lights in increments..and then crank it up a bit, sttring some more, and then crank some more...etc...which is my project for next year...I have a 20 foot normal with 96 strings, but I want a 20 ft spiral on the other side to compliment it...my wife is already gaspin at this idea.

scubado wrote:

Good eye for catching that! :) You gotta be careful of the pics you post around here, you never know what someone will take notice of, such as the mower or purple panties...:shock:

How many people scrolled back up looking for the purple panties?! Be honest!

Looks great! I have decided that 2 spiral trees will be my main addition for next year...
Oh and 8 more minitrees...
and maybe some snowflakes for the House facade...
did I mention taking over my neighbors house?

Just a suggestion...

I would use 3/4" PVC for anything bigger than 7ft.

I was also thinking that if you make the middle ring pieces 5" instead of 4", you should be able to make a little bit larger top ring and use T fittings in between the 45's. That would eliminate screwing the caps into the top ring.

Not sure if that will work or not. I had some extra t fittings and made a top ring, but didn't work very well with the current setup.
I would have tried it, but I had already glued the rings...

David Rise wrote:

Just a suggestion...

I would use 3/4" PVC for anything bigger than 7ft.

I was also thinking that if you make the middle ring pieces 5" instead of 4", you should be able to make a little bit larger top ring and use T fittings in between the 45's. That would eliminate screwing the caps into the top ring.

Not sure if that will work or not. I had some extra t fittings and made a top ring, but didn't work very well with the current setup.
I would have tried it, but I had already glued the rings...
I tried the T fitting first but it made the tree not as tapered as I wanted, but it would have been good.
I would try that set up making the tree 8 ft or so but you may need to adjust the base diameter and center support Diameter.
As for height I'm not sure I would try this PVC tree much larger than 9 ft. and agree with thevikester for the big trees.

On a side note,
Merry Christmas to all here at LOR forum

KX6D wrote:

scubado wrote:
Good eye for catching that! :) You gotta be careful of the pics you post around here, you never know what someone will take notice of, such as the mower or purple panties...:shock:

I'm guilty

thevikester wrote:

KX6D wrote:
scubado wrote:

I'm guilty
I think I actually found them.......ooops

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks. Here it is in action.

I'm going to redo it and make 2 of them 8ft for next year.
My 105 count lights have over a foot left after 2 complete wraps.
During next year, I'm going to try and wrap 8 more strings going the other direction.

• 1 month later...

Just completed the dry fit for my first Spiral Tree for 2012. So far this has been one of the easiest projects I have done. Spent about 3 hours so far including shopping for the parts, cutting peices and fitting everything together. I am not sure that I am actually going to glue the pvc. It seems to stay together well now and I think once the lights are wrapped around it, it should be completely stable. This will give me options for storage and moving.

• 1 month later...

OK I am working on mine for this year and have a problem. Light spacing. I have 100ct incan lights that are 20.6ft long. I am folding them in half, but can't get them to work on the tree. I have tried the 3"/4.5", 4", and even 6" spacing down the tubes. The 6" gets me the closest to the ground, but the strand stops about 12" from the ground. Any help? What am I doing wrong?

Would someone take a "screen shot" of the LOR programming for me please. I want to make sure that this is just on-off or is some fading involved? I have several tree's,arches,ect but I too am going to give this a shot. Thanks for the reading enjoyment again....

I can only speak for myself. But I use chase, on and off, fades shimmer, etc.
PM me and I send you a couple sequences.

imawlkr2 wrote:

OK I am working on mine for this year and have a problem. Light spacing. I have 100ct incan lights that are 20.6ft long. I am folding them in half, but can't get them to work on the tree. I have tried the 3"/4.5", 4", and even 6" spacing down the tubes. The 6" gets me the closest to the ground, but the strand stops about 12" from the ground. Any help? What am I doing wrong?
I set mine at 3" for the top half and 5" on the bottom half. With this I was able to fold a 100 incan mini strand in half and it went top to bottom two wraps. Last year I did it different because I switched to 100 strand LED which were longer and folded them in thirds, wrapping it around only 1.5 times.

I got my measurement from just hooking the strand at top and wrapped it around twice, then marked where each strand touched, measured and put the same marks on all uprights. it was only a fluke that I was able to fold the strand in half, it wasn't planned that way.
Hope that helps a bit