Light-O-Rama Forums

I need help please Com 1 port error message

Partyof9

I did that and it would do anything different. When I changed it to com 1 I do auto confi and it says it can not find a port to lor. Then if i hit refresh button in Hardware untiility it intializes and says searching for network the no unit found pops up

I have tried everything suggested with no results. :D It says still it's not connected when i try the auto config and when i hit refresh no controllers are found. It said the driver installed correctly and I have set the port to com 1 on my computer and in the hardward utility. It says there the device is working properly. Any more suggestions?

Ok, comm 1 is used by something else on about 99% of computers. Some will also use 2 and 3. Try comm 4.

Now I have had this problems for years and as I remember it most controllers, esp if it is a new one (all of mine are the PC kits). What I usually end up doing is first forcing an address. I have never been able to get the refresh to find a new controller.
OK see that these are older controllers (you have had them for 1 or more years). Wonder if there is a file that is kept with known controllers.

Still maybe the whole problem is with the comm port being assigned.

Max-Paul wrote:

Ok, comm 1 is used by something else on about 99% of computers. Some will also use 2 and 3. Try comm 4.

Now I have had this problems for years and as I remember it most controllers, esp if it is a new one (all of mine are the PC kits). What I usually end up doing is first forcing an address. I have never been able to get the refresh to find a new controller.
OK see that these are older controllers (you have had them for 1 or more years). Wonder if there is a file that is kept with known controllers.

Still maybe the whole problem is with the comm port being assigned.

Agree totally, it's why I use comm 4 to avoid conflicts. If you haven't tried my earlier suggestion, do go into the "Device Management" of Windows, open up the device for the USB 485 and force it to use one of the other listed comm ports, ideally 4 or higher. Then go back into the LOR hardware utility and manually the comm port to match whatever you selected in the device manager.

Nothing is working for me. I tried all of that. Keeps saying under my devices that that port was used for somthing else. Brand new computer i don't get it.

Partyof9,

Not being smart ass, but my only other advice is to research what assets your computer is using for what devices. System tools is my first choice of a utility that will give you some info. Sorry cant be much more help. For me I am one of those have to have it in front of me. BTW what OS or was that established already?

I would be willing to help ya fiqure out problem remotely using a desktop sharing software. if so PM me and i'll let ya know what webpage to go to and how we can link up. This goes out to anyone needing computer help.

Just wanted to Thank EVERYONE for such amazing help here on the LOR boards. I especially appreciate Mr. Hamilton spending his time helping me on the phone. I am proud to say he put light on the subject!!!! LOL The POWER of communication is an amazing thing. Thank you all so much for all the responses and helping me.

Partyof9 wrote:

Just wanted to Thank EVERYONE for such amazing help here on the LOR boards. I especially appreciate Mr. Hamilton spending his time helping me on the phone. I am proud to say he put light on the subject!!!! LOL The POWER of communication is an amazing thing. Thank you all so much for all the responses and helping me.

Glad to get you going. In the process of these sessions, I usually find something new. For the LOR crowd of inquisitive minds, let me say this much.

Lori had a minimum of 2 and possibly 3 separate issues.

One thing to mention is that I recommend anyone having a comm issue that you can't resolve, then go update the FTDI software driver in the device manager to the latest version (3/18/2011) if you have 64 bit Windows 7. While the old 2008 version should support Win 7 64 bit in theory, I have seen multiple issues with that version of the driver on various devices. LOR is no exception. I haven't looked to see if LOR includes this driver in the InstallShield setup or not. Perhaps Bob or someone can comment on that. If so, my recommendation is for LOR to drop in the 2.8 version or higher of the FTDI file to ensure fewer problems on 64 bit OS. In all the many cases I have see thus far, it solved a communication issue.

Lori had an additional issue with the serial port comm speed and port syncing issue between LOR hardware utility and the device manager. We resolved that as well. All of the above being new issues due to setting up on a new Win 7 computer.

There was a third issue that she easily resolved. Thus, you see the reasons why this was such a perplexing problem. And during the process, I learned that you folks are a lot more computer aware than you claim. :-) You being really familiar with Windows really helped move this along to a solution.

cheers,

RGH

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Richard, thanks for jumping in and getting it fixed.. there really is a wealth of knowledge here, both old and new!

TJ, well in my case you are certainly right... I'm old :shock:

Yup lots of smart people here (you are one of them) and I usually learn something new from people.