Light-O-Rama Forums

bug loading dodgy visualisation file

Alan Hanson

I found a bug that isn't that hard to sort once you realise what's going on. When trying to load a visualisation file into superstar i was getting an error saying "The visualisation file being loaded contains fixtures that have no assigned channels. The fixtures will be drawn in dark gray and cannot be selected.it is recommended that you use the Visualiser program to remove these fixtures or assign channels to them." As it was going to be greyed out then I thought no problems I'll sort it later. However instead of loading fine the program just vegetates and has to be forced to close. After a number of times with this occurring i hit the forums and couldn't find any other posts along the lines. I then tried the sample and it worked. I tried a 10 channel vis file of mine and then it worked. It then seemed that everything works fine so i went back to my visualisation file and painfully went through about 250 fixtures to see if i could find the faulty 1. The best part of an hour later I found a fixture that had accidentally been created as a dupe and was just floating around with no assigned channels and as a result it was invisible unless that fixture was selected. Deleted the fixture. Saved. Loaded fine :)

Absolutely awesome work on the superstar Brian.

It would be nice to have that little bug fixed so it does what it says it is going to do. Maybe a popup window listing the channels with problems could save some time for those of us nuffy enough to make this stupid mistake. Also going to make a post over on the visualiser section of the forums about possibly adding a feature like the Channel Configuration .

Alan Hanson wrote:

I found a bug that isn't that hard to sort once you realise what's going on. When trying to load a visualisation file into superstar i was getting an error saying  "The visualisation file being loaded contains fixtures that have no assigned channels. The fixtures will be drawn in dark gray and cannot be selected.it is recommended that you use the Visualiser program to remove these fixtures or assign channels to them." As it was going to be greyed out then I thought no problems I'll sort it later. However instead of loading fine the program just vegetates and has to be forced to close. After a number of times with this occurring i hit the forums and couldn't find any other posts along the lines. I then tried the sample and it worked. I tried a 10 channel vis file of mine and then it worked. It then seemed that everything works fine so i went back to my visualisation file and painfully went through about 250 fixtures to see if i could find the faulty 1. The best part of an hour later I found a fixture that had accidentally been created as a dupe and was just floating around with no assigned channels and as a result it was invisible unless that fixture was selected. Deleted the fixture. Saved.  Loaded fine :P

Absolutely awesome work on the superstar Brian.

It would be nice to have that little bug fixed so it does what it says it is going to do. Maybe a popup window listing the channels with problems could save some time for those of us nuffy enough to make this stupid mistake. Also going to make a post over on the visualiser section of the forums about possibly adding a feature like the Channel Configuration .

I have an updated version of the program that should fix the crash you are experiencing. And yes, I agree, it should report the duplicates so you can find them easier. Currently it does report the the first duplicate channel when you export, but because of the crash bug, you never got to that point. I realize it would be best to list the duplicate channels. After looking at several visualizations I also now realize that having duplicate channels is something many people do on purpose and so I have to support it. However, for this year, the way I have to support it is by throwing out the duplicate channels. When you export the sequence it will of course play just fine on the S3 visualizer.