Light-O-Rama Forums

Did I do This Right? - Channel Property Grid

jim6918

I know I shouldn't be asking such a newbie question, but I am having a CRS* moment here. I moved some elements around on my controllers for more efficient extension cord placement in relation to controller location. I opened a sequence, made the changes to the Channel Property Grid on that sequence, then Exported and saved as the same named .LCC file as before changes. For some reason, I imagined that I would have to open each sequence I have, Import the LCC file and save, but now I am pretty sure I won't have to do anything since the sequences will use the changed LCC file without me having to Import.

Am I correct before I waste an hour or so?

* That would be can't remember Sh&@.

As I understand it, a new feature in S3 makes that old manual process unnecessary. And Thank God (uh, I mean LOR) for that feature. Every year, it seems I move things around and was having to do exactly the manual process your described above.

Unless I'm reading your question wrong ...

Exporting to an LCC does *not* auto-import it into other sequences. If you want to use a channel set that you've saved into an LCC file in a different sequence, then you would have to import the LCC into the sequence(s) that you wish to use it on.

I know of no new feature in S3 that would automate this process. (And, for the record, I'm glad there is not such a feature.)

Don wrote:

Unless I'm reading your question wrong ...

Exporting to an LCC does *not* auto-import it into other sequences. If you want to use a channel set that you've saved into an LCC file in a different sequence, then you would have to import the LCC into the sequence(s) that you wish to use it on.

I know of no new feature in S3 that would automate this process. (And, for the record, I'm glad there is not such a feature.)

Thanks Don, I told you it was CRS.

Looks like I might have mis-understood the feature I was talking about, so I opened S3 to check it out. I saw a new button under TOOLS...channel configuration that is called change controller. As far as I can see, it simple changes the unit id of a controller... not what I was thinking.

What I want to do is same thing Jim wants to do. Sometimes I have a channel on one controller that I want to move to another controller. I was hopeful that there would be some sort of dialog that lists the channels on all controller and let me move them around. Apparently not the case. Oh well, another year of manually juggling channels again.

If there were such a feature, it would need to be implemented in such a way that it doesn't update 'all' sequences within your LOR Data path. If it did, then it would seriously cripple those of us who sequence for others.

Someone once mentioned the idea of linking the individual sequences to a LCC. Then if the LCC changed, only those sequences who are 'linked' to that LCC would change.

Yup Don, agree. That would be a good way to do it. That's the reason why I was thinking something like a dialog to force selection of which channels should be moved for selected sequences. I wouldn't want to result to restoring files from backups if I screw it up. In my case, I always have all of the sequences set up the same way so I wouldn't care if such a feature updated all at once, yet I can see situations where that might not be desirable.

Oh well, wishful thinking. This channel hoping thing is a ritual I go though every year for one reason or another.