Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Pricing on Bulk Zip Ties

Rick Childers

scubado wrote:

The color ones at Harbour Freight are junk. I won't buy ties there again, so I don't know if the black or white ones there are any good.

What is their tensile strength rating?

The colored ones from Harbor Freight may not be junk if they are used in an application that is within their rated strength design.

Is everything that breaks when used beyond its design limits considered junk?

I always buy for the rated use, not the cheapest price.

4 inch ties at least 18 pounds.

Light duty 8 inch ties rated for 40/50 pounds.

Heavy duty 8 inch ties rated for 120 pounds.

I try to buy smart and not cheap. I have found that by buying cheap you get exactly what you pay for, cheap that will not hold up and breaks.

Santas Helper wrote:

JBullard wrote:
What everyone is missing is how the zip ties are rated.

Some zip ties have a larger tensile strength then others.

The correctly rated tensile strength has to be chosen for the application. That is why some zip ties will break when you "snug" them up, if you are exceeding the tensile strength rating of the tie.

Just like electrical wire, use 18 AWG where you should be using 12 AWG, then the 18 AWG wire will "break"

Yes, I agree with this. The sad thing was (the ones I got from Harbor Freight) I was snugging up the ties with my fingers, not even tight yet and many broke.

I go for ones with 18lb strength for 4" ties, but that doesn't mean they still hold that after being in hot or long storage which changes the strength of plastic/PVC over time. Again, I was just senching down before they get tight and "snap".

Or maybe you don't know your own strength!

JBullard wrote:

scubado wrote:
The color ones at Harbour Freight are junk. I won't buy ties there again, so I don't know if the black or white ones there are any good.

What is their tensile strength rating?

The colored ones from Harbor Freight may not be junk if they are used in an application that is within their rated strength design.

Is everything that breaks when used beyond its design limits considered junk?

I always buy for the rated use, not the cheapest price.

4 inch ties at least 18 pounds.

Light duty 8 inch ties rated for 40/50 pounds.

Heavy duty 8 inch ties rated for 120 pounds.

I try to buy smart and not cheap. I have found that by buying cheap you get exactly what you pay for, cheap that will not hold up and breaks.
I understand where you are coming from but after making trip after trip to Lowe's with 30% of them failing I figured I could afford to waste a whole lot on MonoPrice one's before I would come close to what I spent at Lowe's. I know time will tell but so far I am extremely happy with what I have.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Santas Helper wrote:
Yes, I agree with this. The sad thing was (the ones I got from Harbor Freight) I was snugging up the ties with my fingers, not even tight yet and many broke.

I go for ones with 18lb strength for 4" ties, but that doesn't mean they still hold that after being in hot or long storage which changes the strength of plastic/PVC over time. Again, I was just senching down before they get tight and "snap".

Or maybe you don't know your own strength!

LOL, I guess so... ;) (where is the laughing emoticon when you need one?)

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Rick, I use the ones from monoprice.com. I also order the 8" instead of the 4", but here are some links.

4" are .36 for 100
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052001&p_id=5755&seq=1&format=2

8" are .77 for 100
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052001&p_id=5761&seq=1&format=2

Thanks to you guys, I just ordered several thousand. :(

I bought mine online and thought the prices was resonable and shipping was quick. I saw the invoice somewhere here in my basement however since it's almost November I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of what my basement looks like and why I can't find the invoice at the moment!

I did a google search and I believe the name of the place is 9th Tee Enterprises. Here's a link to the zip tie section of their website. They have a wide variety of colors and sizes.

http://www.9thtee.com/zipties.htm

Jeff