Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I get the nice video with music like u see on youtube?

jamie_huffman@hotmail.com

you are going to get a lot of different answers. Bottom line is there are lots of video editing programs out there and different people use different ones.
I use the Microsoft Windows Movie maker. The main thing that I do is to record the video with a radio loud enough that the camera can pick it up, then I use the movie maker to overlay the mp3 of the song over it, line it up until there is no echo, then remove the original audio.
Others use Sony Vegas and other programs to edit the actual video, the shoot it from multiple angles, then edit them together, that's beyond where I am willing to go ;)

Guest Don Gillespie

I have my Daughter film it (Confetti films she is the best in the buisness) cost is cheap I have to take them to Mexico every other year LOL :D my grand daughter hates it ;) (can't keep her out of the pool) but really what ever you film with is fine as long as the audio is good some guys will talk about some lights looking blue and others will say they look white, I have heard the flip cameras are decent its bad enough we spend thousands of dollars on this now they want us to spend more on video. I get more satisfaction of watching the people night in and night out. only my opinion

• 1 month later...

I used Pinnacle Studio 12 to create the video and overlayed the audio file and Youtube has flagged the video as copyrighted because of the overlayed audio file. Even though I've purchased the audio file I'm unable to post it to Youtube as an overlayed audio track on the video I created. Bummers.:{

GoofyGuy wrote:

For those who are using the Flip cameras does it capture the shimmer?

It does. The following clip also has my Flip camera zoomed in all the way. I should also add that the other lights are at 50% intensity.

http://www.nychristmaslights.com/photo_gallery/2011/2011%20Virtual%20Santa%20house%20view.wmv

I just got the Creative VADO (3rd Gen) and it's MUCH better then my old video camera. Got mine from Amazon for $50. Looked the other day and it's now being priced at $130 :X Works pretty good. I posted a video here

Used Windows Movie maker and NERO Video 11 to get it to the point I liked.

Tom Straub

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

It does. The following clip also has my Flip camera zoomed in all the way. I should also add that the other lights are at 50% intensity.

http://www.nychristmaslights.com/photo_gallery/2011/2011%20Virtual%20Santa%20house%20view.wmv

Sweet thank you!

my vidoe camcorder (JVC) records in mts format, windows movie maker doesnt recognize that format. how does everyone convert to a format that it will recognize?

Use your favorite video format converter software.

Hundreds of free programs out there, Google can be your friend.

I'm not familiar with the mts format you mentioned, just select a free (or paid) program that accepts that format.

• 1 month later...

mts is the extension for AVCHD format. My Canon Vixia came with software that will convert it to other common lower resolution formats. Your JVC camera should have come with something similar.

i recorded mine this year with a new sony camcorder. it worked well, and captured the shimmer, but it recorded in that mts avchd format as well and i couldnt find a free converter. i tried a few but they all had limits like would put a stamp across the center of the video, or would only convert half of it. so i couldnt edit it to put the real mp3 over it like i was planning on doing. i didnt spend too much time on it though cause the audio actually came out much better than i expected (i even had the radio down pretty low cause i recorded in the middle of the night to avoid interruption and didnt want to disturb the neighbors). BUT, if i had realized it before i finished recording all the sequences, i would have switched the camera to record to a different format. so if you dont want to convert it, try looking through the settings on your camera and record it again to a different format to begin with. now all i need is a wide angle lens so i can get the whole display without having to stand on the porch of the neighbors across the street.

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

I have FlipHD and found that it does OK with more static lights (like the one WhitePlainsNY posted). However, it has a problem when they start flashing. I think its the autofocus which can't be turned off - it causes "pumping". I was not impressed at all with the Flip. The Flip is a point and shoot video camera with limited ability to make manual settings. Here's a link to one of my Halloween videos shot with the Flip. I still need to overlay the mp3 on my videos - just haven't had time and my in-laws in England kept asking me to upload what i had.

Judge the Flip quality for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZnWNaSpmk&feature=plcp&context=C30cbe80UDOEgsToPDskK7DBLIZZzmdz37qBtxgrvI

This year I am looking for a camera to record my displays next season. However from what I've read you want video recorder with 3 CCDs. There are threads that discuss settings recommendations but generally I think the recommendations are (i) use a tripod (ii) turn off autofocus and use manual(iii) record at dusk or dawn (iv) play with the aperature setting until you get something you like.

I'm no video expert (just look at my video, if there's any doubt). However, I Hope this helps a little.