Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you run in the rain?

Guest guest

All of my LOR equipment is either indoors or under complete cover and GFCI. Tonight was the first night of my show and it rained, believe it or not, in southern CA it rained and yes I let the show run. I had several neighbors and friends stop by. It was GREAT :D

I have all of mu connections off the ground, but I agree, as soon as I get the first GFCI trip, I will shut down. So far, no issues.

Mark

ssjp wrote:

As someone else has already stated, it can depend on your location. Here in Oregon, it typically will rain the entire season. If I don't light during the rain, then my lights won't ever be on.

Also in Oregon. Have been running in the rain. No problems. Last night it ran in the snow. If we waited for nice weather here it wouldn't run at all.

Joe

My feeling is, if my GFCI's have a problem... so do I. I haven't had to stop the display yet due to an issue, but will if I have to. I've got a lot of money invested, but all the lights and equipment can be replaced, a life cannot! BTW, Joe, love your doggy!

I don't run if it is raining. Right now I have 33 GFCI outlets (all 20 amps) and I just don't want the hassle. You won't have a problem with your LOR as long as it does not get wet.

I try to make sure all of my connections are able to drain and are not in a low spot. However, with six miles of extension it is next to impossible. So I just work on the songs a little more when it rains.

OK I will be the differnt one, I have had my controllers and lights of one kind of another up since before July 4th, rain and shine.

In fact if it starts to get dark because of clouds, I will light em up. Not tempting fate or anything, but if it is darker it is time for the lights.

Tonight it clouded over early so 4:00 PM I threw the show switch ( a figure of speech I don't have a show switch)

I can only run until 8:30 PM on weekdays becasue of the school kids next door.

but on weekends we go later,

I know all my controllers (10 of them) are weather proof and more weather proof. they are inside a weather proof enclosure inside a wood box that is weather proof. My connections are all up out of the ground so I know I am good.

Squirrels are my problem. mind you it would help if my better half wouldn't ike them so much. but that is the way it goes someday.

in fact if you look at my picture, it is taken in the rain, notice the reflection of lights on the road.

Remember I have taken special precautions to run in all kinds of weather, so don't say I didn't warn you. it does some extra effort.