Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greentree38

The LOR Controller

Hi All,

Just wondering if it was a better idea to build a box with ventilation for my LOR Controller on the frount porch or put it in the frount room with the window open for all of the cords to run through??

I vote for putting it closer to the lights, and avoiding having to run a bunch of cords into your house.

I have 9 controllers scattered throughout the yard, many within inches of the lights they control.

Guest wbottomley

I vote to putting it in a room where a heater is located. That way the lights will continue to blink at a normal pace rather than slow down if the controller gets cold.

wbottomley wrote:

I vote to putting it in a room where a heater is located. That way the lights will continue to blink at a normal pace rather than slow down if the controller gets cold.

That seems like a very Valid point

Dont forget to keep the controller up high so the electricity can flow easier - electrons hate gravity.

wbottomley wrote:

:cool::P

Guest wbottomley

My units were acting a little weird the other day. So I gave them a little electron therapy, and now they're 100%.

I believe they got a little hot. So I opened the window and let a little fresh air in.

But if you get them cold enough you can achieve Superconductivity.

So..... What if there is a kink in the cord then unkink it, do the lights blink quicker?

but only for a few minutes, then the flow of electrons gets caught up again. :P

Frount deck, in a secure box, with ventilation, it is!! Just out of question how do you get the sign at the bottom with "LOR USER WITH XXXXX LIGHTS ON XXXX CHANNELS""??

wbottomley wrote:

My units were acting a little weird the other day. So I gave them a little electron therapy, and now they're 100%.

I believe they got a little hot. So I opened the window and let a little fresh air in.

I did that once last year - achieved SuperRazzMaTazz Excelentazz - WOW was it a rush!

wbottomley wrote:

People are still doing this? Here's the latest trick:

Lay down some carpet near your controller. Take off your shoes, and scuff your socks back & forth a few times. Then touch your LOR controller. The shock will get things back in sync

*Note: Please don't really do this. As I typed it, I realized someone may actually try this, and blame me for the zap they (and their lights) receive

Guest Don Gillespie

wbottomley wrote:

ROTFLMAO

Attached files 274358=15165-funny face.gif

Guest Don Gillespie

Greentree38 wrote:

Hi All,

Just wondering if it was a better idea to build a box with ventilation for my LOR Controller on the frount porch or put it in the frount room with the window open for all of the cords to run through??

Greentree38 maybe you could include where you live so you could possibly get the right advise. if you live in Alaska then it might not be a good idea to run your cords through an open window. as you can tell asense of humor is mandatory on this forum. :P

Australia, It probably won't get that could unlike you white christmas people!! ;) Probably have more of a chance of the chords melting, last year i had to replace a whole set of lights because the birds got board!

Hi Greentree...

Think this really comes down to individual preference and house/yard setup. Last year was my first year and I located the controller in the garage, and had the cat 5 cable running out a window from the lounge to the pc with all the cords going under the garage door to each element. This worked great, and kept the controller from the sun and rain (paranoid about that, even though they are built to handle it ):P This did however create issues, first an extreme amount of extension cords to get to each element, and also didn't like the cords under the garage door.
This year I have bought a Showtime director to eliminate the pc issue (cord through window) and also purchased a "mini shed" from Keter to house the controllers, director, amp and fm transmitter in on the front porch. I will also use this to store inflatables etc over night. This will keep them dry, and safe from vandals and little fingers, as well as take them to a central point to tidy up those extensions and cords... Cost a bit, but well worth the investment for my second year in my opinion.

Hope that helps in some way :):)

Did you say Australia?
Well that changes everything. As we learned years ago that polar opposites attract thus you must place your controller upside down with your cords coming out of the top of your box. This is extremely important to gain the most from the voltage you are working with down there.

now wait a minute,,,,,,,,,,after reading all this new info I have to change my whole display:(:(:(

Greentree38 wrote:

You say what now?? Turn it upside down..... Really? It was working okay with tests the normal way, why do we turn it upside down?

If you don't turn it upside down, all the lights go backwards.

Shubb wrote:

Greentree38 wrote:
You say what now?? Turn it upside down..... Really? It was working okay with tests the normal way, why do we turn it upside down?

If you don't turn it upside down, all the lights go backwards.

I actually thought that the on and off got reversed. So when you sequenced them to blink on, they instead blink off.

That is why I am glad I live in the States so I can just mount my controllers out in the yard, nearest the display items to cut down on extension cord use. The LOR enclosures are mostly weather proof unless you have to have them upside down. Real bummer for anybody in that situation.

egg-sinker-rig.jpg