Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence editor freezes momentarily under W7

Jerry Budelman

Here is another annoying problem that has cropped up under Windows 7. While playing back a sequence, the SE occasionally will freeze, including the animator, for between a fraction of a second and over 5 seconds. The music continues to play and the display eventually resumes. It's not clear if the control signals also freeze since I didn't have the hardware hooked up.

My machine is a very fast unit (12 core Intel @ 3.6 GHz, 12 GB memory, W7 professional, dual monitor, NVIDIA G450 graphics). I have studied the resource monitor and find that LOR averages about a 2% CPU load, does not spike above 4% and nothing else has any activity over a fraction of a percent. Turning off virus checking does not seem to help. Any thougts on what could be happening?

This is a long shot; do you have the most recent graphics device driver? Or did you update your NVIDIA driver and then the problem started?

If the music continues to play, but the display freezes I would concentrate on your graphics card and or graphics driver.

good luck

Bruce

Jerry Budelman wrote:

Here is another annoying problem that has cropped up under Windows 7. While playing back a sequence, the SE occasionally will freeze, including the animator, for between a fraction of a second and over 5 seconds. The music continues to play and the display eventually resumes. It's not clear if the control signals also freeze since I didn't have the hardware hooked up.

My machine is a very fast unit (12 core Intel @ 3.6 GHz, 12 GB memory, W7 professional, dual monitor, NVIDIA G450 graphics). I have studied the resource monitor and find that LOR averages about a 2% CPU load, does not spike above 4% and nothing else has any activity over a fraction of a percent. Turning off virus checking does not seem to help. Any thougts on what could be happening?

myself and another poster had the same issue, mine did it if the wifi card was searching for a network,if I disabled the network it would work perfectly

Well I may have stumbled on the cause of this....I have backup software running on my machine (Replica from Seagate). Periodically it refreshes its database and may hog the disk to the point that LOR hiccups for a bit. Disabling this application SEEMS to make the problem go away. I also boosted the priority of the LOR process to HIGH. Hope this helps someone....

Jerry

Jerry Budelman wrote:

Well I may have stumbled on the cause of this....I have backup software running on my machine (Replica from Seagate). Periodically it refreshes its database and may hog the disk to the point that LOR hiccups for a bit. Disabling this application SEEMS to make the problem go away. I also boosted the priority of the LOR process to HIGH. Hope this helps someone....

Jerry

It is interesting what you will find running in the background on your computer. For just that reason, I use a show laptop that is practically stripped of all programs that might want to run in the Start-up. I have disabled any updating software, Anti-virus, MS Windows, JAVA, Flashplayer, etc. I manually disable nearly everything in Start-up. I even turn off the Wireless adapter during the season. Just before the season starts, I update as needed, scan for malware and viruses, then it goes into a state us "suspended animation" until after lights off in January.

I also have the whole works; laptop, FM transmitter, RJ45 adapter on a pretty high end battery backup. The setup will run for about 45 minutes on battery before it dies.

This might be a little extreme, but this procedure has served me well for 3 years.