Light-O-Rama Forums

wiring?

Big Al

I have a wiring question. I bought the controller that I need to wire (no soldering). when connecting the neutral wire is do they have to be connected to a post directly related to the positive post? The way I read it no, as long as they are on the same side 8 on one side 8 on the other. Am I correct?

also how about the cords coming in from the power?

I think I hear what you're saying, and I don't remember them being numbered or anything. I hooked them in somewhat of an order though just so it was neater. As for the power cords, you hook your left power, ground and neutral to the left and the right to the right. That might cause an issue if you cross those from side to side, since each side runs its respective bank.

Agreed - takes about 30 minutes to put the wires in... maybe longer of you don't know what you're doing and have to follow along with the instructions. But either way, if you can read and make sense of the pictures, they are easy to put together. The most difficult part is getting all the wires through the holes.

D.T.

[ The most difficult part is getting all the wires through the holes.

D.T.

I agree on that. That last cable on each side was like trying to stuff an elephant in a mousehole. I was concerned I was going to mess up the wire.

I have two controllers that I had to just add the wires into and they went together easy. I have one that I still need to solder...hope it is easy too. I have experience in soldering, so no issue there, just alot of pieces to get in the right spot in the right direction.

imawlkr2 wrote:

I have two controllers that I had to just add the wires into and they went together easy. I have one that I still need to solder...hope it is easy too. I have experience in soldering, so no issue there, just alot of pieces to get in the right spot in the right direction.

I've seen that its easy, just tedious. I think about 4 hours was the average timeframe, from what I can remember. If I had the time, I would have gotten those to save $, even though I don't know how to solder. That's how "easy" its claimed to be.

The boards are easy to do and the instructions are great. If you make a mistake and solder a part in backwards(been there, done that) getting the part back out isn't easy. But LOR is great in sending you replacement parts along with a spare or two. My suggestion, Don't solder when you're tired or rushed, mistakes can happen. Solder one pin first to hold it in place and double check it's placed correctly before soldering the rest of the pins.

The neutral wires can go in any order although most people install them in the same order as the positive.

I build all of my boards and they take about an hour to assemble. If you take your time and read the directions it is very easy. Making sure the components are oriented properly is the most difficult part. I made a short video of my last board assembly.

http://christmasonsunset.com/blog/post/CTB16PC-board-assembly

Dave Boros wrote:

[ The most difficult part is getting all the wires through the holes.

D.T.

I agree on that. That last cable on each side was like trying to stuff an elephant in a mousehole. I was concerned I was going to mess up the wire.

Put the last two through together. There's room for the spade connectors that way and the big fat cords come in together at the same time to us up the rest of the room.

It also helps (As I discovered on my 2nd to last controller) to try hard to layer the cords, 3 then 3 then 2.

jstorms wrote:

I've been thinking about buy the assembly required controllers. How did it go for you? Was it pretty easy to do?

If you are talking about partially assembled ones, then here are some great step by step videos to show you want it amounts to:

Part 1

Part 2

Surfing4Dough wrote:

jstorms wrote:
I've been thinking about buy the assembly required controllers. How did it go for you? Was it pretty easy to do?

If you are talking about partially assembled ones, then here are some great step by step videos to show you want it amounts to:

Part 1

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQCTrtifGMthose
those are great vids,I used them when I put my first togetther