Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer and Maximum Sizes

LOR Staff

After poking around trying to find a good way to prevent errors with pictures/simulations that are too large, I decided I had to limit the size of the Visualizer/Simulation.

The new size limit is 2500x2500. If you load a simulation larger than that, or start a new simulation with a picture larger than that, you'll be prompted to change the size.

Please understand that just because the MAX is 2500x2500, doesn't mean you'll have success with your simulation at that size. I doubt that there is any computer out there today that will be able to successfully simulate your stage at that large of a size. Personally I would stick to something that is less than 1000x1000.

More correctly, I would stay with something less than 1,000,000 square pixels. For example, 1200x800 is 960,000. Even then, you may still run into performance problems. In the world of the Visualizer, smaller is always faster.

Good to know.

Right now my background is 1000x477, if I swap the background out for a smaller one will all the visualization overlays be in the same places or will I have to re-adjust?

You don't need to swap out the background (unless you want to crop stuff out).

You can always use the 'Change Size' button on the Simulation properties screen.

So I turned off the various controls and that significantly improved the performance of the visualizer. The only lingering issue is the shimmer. It still delayed and I get the harmonic effect of a slow pulse.

I reduced the size of my background from 1080x477 by half and it didn't make any difference.

I'm running 32-bit MS-Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 with a Intel Core2 Duo with 2GB RAM. That should be enough.

DevMike wrote:

User adjustable shimmers are on the wishlist.

That's not exactly comforting. User adjustable shimmers (and twinkles) have been there for quite a whilealready. I remember Dan promising them for 2.7... or was it 2.9...

George Simmons wrote:

DevMike wrote:
User adjustable shimmers are on the wishlist.

That's not exactly comforting.  User adjustable shimmers (and twinkles) have been there for quite a whilealready.  I remember Dan promising them for 2.7... or was it 2.9... 

... as they apply to the Visualizer