Light-O-Rama Forums

Error message when attempting to open sequence

cdnlor

Just tried opening one of my Halloween sequences to do some tweaking and I keep getting the message "Invalid document structure". Anyone had this? Solutions? I assume that some part of the file became corrupted as all my other files open fine. Anyone know what type of data container LOR3 uses? Hoping I can open it up to repair it otherwise I guess I'm doing some last minute sequencing before the 31st...

Yes, almost certainly the file is corrupt. If you send it to me (bob@lightorama.com), I'll try to see if I can salvage anything from it, but I can't promise that I will be able to.

Other than that, if you kept manual backups, I would suggest switching to one.

Also, note that LOR automatically makes a backup every time you save (of how the file was before your changes that you're saving), so you may want to try that:

Let's say the sequence is called MySequence.lms. Then there will likely be another file in its same directory, called MySequence.lms.bak. Rename that *.bak file to something like MySequence-Restored.lms. The Sequence Editor should be able to open it then.

I tried that but I got the error "Cant show non-modal form when modal form is displayed."

In the end I opened the file in a text editor, copied the contents and then pasted it into a new file. It seems to be working ok now.

Thanks for the offer of help! I will definitely ensure I have more backs created now...

• 4 years later...
On 10/19/2011 at 3:03 AM, bob said:

Yes, almost certainly the file is corrupt. If you send it to me (bob@lightorama.com), I'll try to see if I can salvage anything from it, but I can't promise that I will be able to.

Other than that, if you kept manual backups, I would suggest switching to one.

Also, note that LOR automatically makes a backup every time you save (of how the file was before your changes that you're saving), so you may want to try that:

Let's say the sequence is called MySequence.lms. Then there will likely be another file in its same directory, called MySequence.lms.bak. Rename that *.bak file to something like MySequence-Restored.lms. The Sequence Editor should be able to open it then.

I just had this same issue and I followed Bob's instructions and was able to retrieve my sequence that I thought was gone.  Thanks Bob

One of my standard recommendations is to save often WITH A NEW FILENAME every time.  That way you can always go back to a previous version that worked.  I put the date and time that the file was saved, or date and a revision letter.  For example (using SuperStar .sup files):

Wizards In Winter 2016-08-04_1440.sup

Wizards In Winter 2016-08-04a.sup