Light-O-Rama Forums

Where should I start?

TitanBry77

Hey all, great forum here. I have been looking around for awhile and finally want to take a stab at starting a light show.

I was looking at the 16 Channel Starter package as maybe a place to start.

I have always done tons of lights (incandescent mainly) and have lots of strands. I had some questions that if anyone could help me with it would get me going in the right direction.

1) If the controller is 16 channel, does that mean I can only use 16 strands? Or can I have multiple strands on 1 channel?

2) Can any types of lights be used? For instance I really want to try some arches and love how the bulbs are lit one at a time fastly to almost look like its leaping etc. I also have some plastic trees (spiral) with strands of lights around them, can I make them chase as well?

3) Between owning my own business, 2 kids, sports etc, I don't realistically see myself having time to sit and program an entire show. Other than the ones for purchase on LOR, are there other sources of pre-sequenced shows? Are they adaptable to my lights for instance if I didn't have as many channels etc?

Thanks again, and love everyone's input and time and effort in to their displays! I can't wait to get started (albeit it's a late start this year lol)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitanBry77

• Dave Boros

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

TitanBry77 wrote:

Hey all, great forum here. I have been looking around for awhile and finally want to take a stab at starting a light show.

I was looking at the 16 Channel Starter package as maybe a place to start.

I have always done tons of lights (incandescent mainly) and have lots of strands. I had some questions that if anyone could help me with it would get me going in the right direction.

1) If the controller is 16 channel, does that mean I can only use 16 strands? Or can I have multiple strands on 1 channel?
You can have multiple strands hooked to each channel if you like as long as you do not exceed the total amperage for the channel.

2) Can any types of lights be used? For instance I really want to try some arches and love how the bulbs are lit one at a time fastly to almost look like its leaping etc. I also have some plastic trees (spiral) with strands of lights around them, can I make them chase as well?

Arches, mega trees, mini trees, or anything to do chases could end up eating up a lot of channels on you quickly. If you want to start small then maybe it would work better to just animate some strings such as around your windows and doors or around the roofline as a first time starter run. That will give you quite a lot of "blinky lights" to get a feel for this obsession er hobby and then you can see how you like it.

3) Between owning my own business, 2 kids, sports etc, I don't realistically see myself having time to sit and program an entire show. Other than the ones for purchase on LOR, are there other sources of pre-sequenced shows? Are they adaptable to my lights for instance if I didn't have as many channels etc?
Yes most sequences can be "adapted" to work on other setups with a reasonable amount of work.
The real "fun" of this hobby (at least to me) is the sequencing of the lights taylored to my display and done by me. It is a real joy to see your own work light up before your eyes and gives you a deep appreciation for the task of this. But you can use others work and modify it to fit your own setting by all means. There are a lot of folks on here who will share their sequences with you and you can find a lot of places that have sequences as well as people who will do a sequence for you that would be taylored to your display if you want.

Thanks again, and love everyone's input and time and effort in to their displays! I can't wait to get started (albeit it's a late start this year lol)

Welcome to this fun and crazy hobby. Take your time and enjoy the fun of it as much as the work and you will have a good time and a nice display as well.

Bill

Thank you for the information! I definitely need to start small, especially since it's over halfway to November!

What makes chasing take up more channels, and do I need special lights to chase or can any strands do it?

Is the 16 channel starter pack a good place to start?

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thank you for the information! I definitely need to start small, especially since it's over halfway to November!

What makes chasing take up more channels, and do I need special lights to chase or can any strands do it?

Is the 16 channel starter pack a good place to start?
Chasing lights are strands hooked up to each channel. A lot of people around here use 7 channel arches. The more channels you use the smoother the arch becomes as the chase moves along.
To your other question, you can connect strands of lights together as long as you don't over exceed the max amps allowed for that channel. Some people use Incans, others use LED, a lot use both.
This is my first year, and I STARTED with the 32 channel starter package, and before that package even arrived I ordered another controller.... Then I got another one during their sale. As far as whats best is up to you. I would download the demo version software and start to figure that out, and make your decision on that.
If you are interested in a lot of "chasing" I would bump up to 32, as you will eat channels up pretty quick with the arches.
Another thing, get LOTS of extension chords. As everyone will tell you, you can NEVER have enough. Also, most of us use SPT wire ( a lot cheaper, and can make custom lengths)
A lot of members have sequences that they share, depending on your channel amount. And yes, you can edit everything as needed to match what your display looks like.
Welcome to the madness. I would highly recommend putting your location on your profile so, if needed someone close by can help.

Thanks for the info. My wife knows how I am and said I better just start with the 32. I like your idea of trying the software. I am definitely going to do that. I have also read about the SPT wire and the vampire plugs I think they're called and that's the route I'll go.

I am going to update my profile as well. I see you are in Addison Texas. My son is named Addison :-)

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thanks for the info. My wife knows how I am and said I better just start with the 32. I like your idea of trying the software. I am definitely going to do that. I have also read about the SPT wire and the vampire plugs I think they're called and that's the route I'll go.

I am going to update my profile as well. I see you are in Addison Texas. My son is named Addison :-)

yes it is a very goo idea to start with the software to get used to how irt works. the new visualizer in s3 makes it super easy to make a clean looking (stage) to see how your lights react. the cool thing is if you get the demo now for free you can still save ypour progress for later use,but it will not controll lights until you but the license

Thanks. I am going to download it tonight.

Does any light strand have the ability to chase? Is it just one bulb lighting up after another?

What are these displays I see that say like the house will be outlined and that outline has the abilty to display multiple codors?

TitanBry77 wrote:

Does any light strand have the ability to chase? Is it just one bulb lighting up after another?

What are these displays I see that say like the house will be outlined and that outline has the abilty to display multiple codors?
No, The chase is done by multiple strands of lights. So, one strand would turn off as the next strand would turn on..
Most of us use single color light strands, and control those by different channels. So when you see multiple colors it is just different channels turned on and others off.

You will want to upgrade your software level right away with the starter kit, you know you want more channels, it'll be cheaper to upgrade right away than to wait. If you have a Menards near you, they will have sales and rebates on extension cords pretty soon, watch for posts for sales at local stores.

Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks. I saw that and figured I would at least upgrade the software to the next level up. I have never heard of Menards so I'm guessing we dont have them. It seems that it's a good option to get the SPT cable and then make your own cables also. I may try that route as well.

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thanks. I saw that and figured I would at least upgrade the software to the next level up. I have never heard of Menards so I'm guessing we dont have them. It seems that it's a good option to get the SPT cable and then make your own cables also. I may try that route as well.

I'm my own opionion I would get the advanced software.

TitanBry77 wrote:

Your Welcome for the info.
Chasing is just having say 2 strings of lights on 2 channels and turning one on, then off, and the next one on so that it "appears" to someone watching that the lights are actually chasing. So it is using multiple strands of lights to do it. Also why as someone else mentioned it will take more channels to do arches and mega trees. I have 48 channels on my mega tree strings alone with another 6 channels on the tree to control the star and strobes.

Outlining is pretty much as it says. You take a string of lights (or strings) and put them up around a window, door or roof. Hence the term outlining.
You can see the effect by looking at some of peoples videos on here and other forums to see what we mean. I use 4 colors to outline my house. Red, green, blue, and white. I can turn on one color at a time or multiple colors if I want to give various effects.
Multiple colors works well for mega trees, bushes, mini trees and such but I also can use a red for the roof line and then green around the windows at the same time or white or blue or various color schemes.
This stuff is only limited by your imagination (and wallet)as to what you can do. It is addictive and consuming yet fun and fasinating all at the same time.

Guest Don Gillespie

TitanBry77 wrote:

what you are seeing is three or four different colored strings zipped tied together then the controller takes over from there, more controllers = more action, as a buisness owner trust me you will find the time to program, nothing beats designing your own home to dance with the music, welcome aboard and remember keep asking questions :(

Check local Hardware Stores for Lamp Cord, 18/2 SPT-1 or 2, Zip cord all the same thing also check local lighting store or electrical stores they usually stock it and you will save on shipping. I find the plugs are harder to find. I would order them online allthingschristmasandmore.com I found good prices.

I recommend deciding what you want to build or you layout first and stick to it at least this year. it will make the planning easier. Also there is a power spreadsheet around here some place that will help you calculate how many lights per channel per controller and so on. Search for spreadsheet

Awesome info guys! I just decide to order the 16 channel setup to get started and I will upgrade the software. They don't have anything in stock, they said anyday! Can't wait to start some fun :-)

I found some crazy Halloween setups searching around. I know I am jumping the gun, but how do you suppose the chasing/disco light type effect is done on the outline of the house when the beat kicks in around :50 second mark?

TitanBry77 wrote:

Awesome info guys! I just decide to order the 16 channel setup to get started and I will upgrade the software. They don't have anything in stock, they said anyday! Can't wait to start some fun :-)

I found some crazy Halloween setups searching around. I know I am jumping the gun, but how do you suppose the chasing/disco light type effect is done on the outline of the house when the beat kicks in around :50 second mark?

I think you are seeing the c9 strobe lights. you can control multibles on one channel but they all flash randomly,cool effect. the other big effect around that time is flood lights. this video is cracker's house he is a member here

Thanks, yeh I saw the strobe light effect. This effect starts after that, the lights are in a steady pattern while MJ is singing, not the chorus parts. It looks like they are following each other, 1 bulb at a time.

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thanks, yeh I saw the strobe light effect. This effect starts after that, the lights are in a steady pattern while MJ is singing, not the chorus parts. It looks like they are following each other, 1 bulb at a time.

What you are usually seeing is several strings of lights that are zip tied together as was stated earlier, but NOT in this particular video, those are CCR's, more on that in a bit.

For example you take a string of orange and a string of purple. You tie the strings so that you'd have alternating orange-purple-orange-purple and so forth, then you use your LOR controller which requires 2 channels, 1 for each color. If you use more than 2 colors, each color will have its own channel.

For example Christmas lights might be blue, white or clear, green, red, and yellow, this would take 5 channels, 1 channel for each color.

However, the house you're looking at is Crackers (Kevin) who is a member here and he outlined his house with CCR's this year from what I've read in his Halloween display post for this year (2011).

The CCR (Cosmic Color Ribbon) is an RGB (Red-Green-Blue) LED ribbon, so he can control whatever colors he needs for whatever Holiday setting he uses them in. They can do millions of colors, including white by turning all the LEDS on full. The CCR is a lot more expensive than an average set of Christmas lights, but as you can see in his video they can do some really nice effects.

Most of us that don't have CCR's, we do it by zip tying several different light strings with the same bulb count on each string together and using a seperate channel to control each color string to get the chasing effect. This can be as simple or as complex as you wish to make it, the more complex, the more channels will be required to accomplish the effect.

Here's where you can see and read about the CCR:

http://www.lightorama.com/CosmicColorRibbon.html

Thank you for the information. Now that CCR is some cool stuff! I didn't know it existed until now, albeit expensive, but cool, and the technology is amazing.

It looks like one spool is about 16ft long. That seems like it could be enough to do maybe 2 very small arches? hmmm