Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2011 Pictures

CLD Kevin

• 1 month later...

Kevin

What are you using to control the RGB Strips? I saw a reference to DMX but would like a litte more info on how you have it all connected. I have not ventured into the DC and DMX world yet and would like to start off right.

John

johnm160 wrote:

Kevin

What are you using to control the RGB Strips? I saw a reference to DMX but would like a litte more info on how you have it all connected. I have not ventured into the DC and DMX world yet and would like to start off right.

John

I used the LOR DC board to control the strips. DMX controlled all the lighted pumpkins on the lawn. You can use DMX to control the strips as well if you wanted to go that route.

Cracker wrote:

johnm160 wrote:
Kevin

John

I used the LOR DC board to control the strips. DMX controlled all the lighted pumpkins on the lawn. You can use DMX to control the strips as well if you wanted to go that route.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if trying to throw dmx into the mix is a good idea for me right out of the gate since I know zero about it. A DC lor board or two should suit my needs for now.

Oh and speaking of lighted pumpkins....where are you finding all of the different styles you have. I have not seen much locally during the season in my area. Is there and online supplier that you use?

Kevin,

I read in another post that you made the 8' face to break down between the eyes and mouth for storage and attach it with hardware. I also can't store an 8' tall frame and was wondering how you are attaching the two halves? I don't noticed anything connecting them that I can spot in your pics

Thanks

John

johnm160 wrote:

Oh and speaking of lighted pumpkins....where are you finding all of the different styles you have. I have not seen much locally during the season in my area. Is there and online supplier that you use?

I bought mine from Michaels. I hand carved each one using a Versa-tool which is a hugh help when carving that many foam pumpkins.

FireMedic4Christ wrote:

What are you using to support the pumpkin from the underside?

Great show!

I made a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin the exact size of 1/2" female screaw/slip coupler. The coupler has a lip in the middle and I used a metal washer and slipped it over the coupler. The washer stops at the couplers lip. I then hot glue the top of the washer and pushed it inside the hole I made until the washer is pushed up against the pumpkin (hot glue between). This secures the coupler to the pumpkin. But then I add more hot glue in the inside of the pumpkin where the couple sticks out just a little. Then I PVC glued a male sceaw/slip coupler to 1/2 pvc stick and screw the together. Pound a piece of rebar in the ground and slip the 1/2 pvc stick over. I'll see if I can dig one out for a close up picture.

johnm160 wrote:
Kevin,

I read in another post that you made the 8' face to break down between the eyes and mouth for storage and attach it with hardware. I also can't store an 8' tall frame and was wondering how you are attaching the two halves? I don't noticed anything connecting them that I can spot in your pics

Thanks

John

Basically my 8'x8' faces is a 5'x8' and 3'x'8 sections. The 5'x8' section is for the mouth. The 3'x8' section is for the eyes. I connecton the 2 sections together using bults/nuts and tie-wraps. Bolts/nuts is for sections of pvc come together.

Cracker wrote:

johnm160 wrote:

I bought mine from Michaels. I hand carved each one using a Versa-tool which is a hugh help when carving that many foam pumpkins.

FireMedic4Christ wrote:

What are you using to support the pumpkin from the underside?

Great show!

I made a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin the exact size of 1/2" female screaw/slip coupler. The coupler has a lip in the middle and I used a metal washer and slipped it over the coupler. The washer stops at the couplers lip. I then hot glue the top of the washer and pushed it inside the hole I made until the washer is pushed up against the pumpkin (hot glue between). This secures the coupler to the pumpkin. But then I add more hot glue in the inside of the pumpkin where the couple sticks out just a little. Then I PVC glued a male sceaw/slip coupler to 1/2 pvc stick and screw the together. Pound a piece of rebar in the ground and slip the 1/2 pvc stick over. I'll see if I can dig one out for a close up picture.

johnm160 wrote:
Kevin,

Thanks

John

Basically my 8'x8' faces is a 5'x8' and 3'x'8 sections. The 5'x8' section is for the mouth. The 3'x8' section is for the eyes. I connecton the 2 sections together using bults/nuts and tie-wraps. Bolts/nuts is for sections of pvc come together.

Great so I would assume there is a piece of conduit or something inside that the pvc is over for the bolts to go through. I will see if I can side a small piece of EMT inside of the joint

Thank you again for your assistance

John

• 2 months later...

For the pumpkins on your lawn, what about a low-tech solution of putting something reflective under them? May a pie tin, foil, or thin shiny metal? It might make them a bit brighter and be way less expensive than replacing all of those bulbs. Just a thought!