Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2011 Pictures

CLD Kevin

Just drove in my last rebar this morning. Tested about half the lights/controllers last night....so far so good. I'm a little concern when I get to the DMX stuff. I did some initial testing before anything was set up (xing-fingers).

I did a big switch this year. I changed about 90% of my lights from incandescent to LED RGB Lights. Only the faces and "firesticks" are still incandescent. I wanted to change the firesticks, but just ran out of time...next year.

My changes: Roof line has 6 CCRs. The house outline (sides, front, garage) are RGB Strips. Trees, Bushes and tombstones RGB Strings (I have no bushed right now because I’m changing out the landscaping so I used tomato cages). 5 Double Rainbow Floods, All Pumpkins have (3) 5050 RGB Modules controlled via DMX. 4 additional DC boards and iDMX.

Unfortunately since I changed so much with lighting...I didn’t have time to work on new sequences. I just converted most of last year to fit this year setup. Next year I should several new songs. I have a bunch of ideas…just wish there was 2..or 3 of me to help. Multiplicity would be so great...until I find him in my bed :shock:

Total Channels: 1144

My actualy test run should be tomorrow night. Video to follow by the end of the week.

Kevin

Attached files 272116=15034-Halloween 2011.JPG

Looks awesome. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with the CCR's. Looking forward to the video

Thanks for the tombstone close up. I have a bunch of tombstones and I shoved mini lights though the letters RIP and it looks good during the day, but I really want the outline too but I didn't want to just attach lights around it. I like how you did it.

It looks great : I surely won't miss your videos on youtube.

Happy Halloween and thanks again to have inspired me to make mouth synchronization.

Awesome display! Eagerly awaiting the videos.
I'm curious, do the straw bales kill the grass where they are sitting or do you support them off the ground somehow? If so, what do you use to support them?

Rich

Rich wrote:

I'm curious, do the straw bales kill the grass where they are sitting or do you support them off the ground somehow? If so, what do you use to support them?

Rich

Good Catch Rich....

Yes, the straw will suck the water out of the grass and kills it! Took me 3 months to re-grow it back 2 years ago. Now I sit the straw bales on wood 4x4 so they are not sitting directly on the grass.

Ran my little test tonight. The DMX stuff worked perfectly...kinda surprise I didn’t have any problems. But that doesn’t mean I wasn’t a little disappointed in a few things...

1. The new pumpkins that have on the lawn with the (3) 5050 RGB Modules…I wish they were brighter. Last year I used the mold pumpkins with 40W bulbs…I knew it wasn’t going to be that bright, but I was thinking it was going to be a little brighter. I did a try-out and they looked good, but with everything else in the mix, it needs improvement. I’ll need to figure out something brighter for next year.

2. The middle pumpkin on the straw bales color blue looks yellowish. Its because it’s a mold pumpkin and the inside is a bright yellow color...change that one next year. I want that very large Fun-kins, but didn’t know how/where to get it?

3. You can really tell the “Firesticks” are not LEDs. Very dull and yellowish color compare to everything else. But was expected. Change that one next year too.

4. This one hurts me to say…disappointed in the Double Rainbow Floods I built. I knew I should have tested them on the house!! Kick myself for that one. Greg’s product is great and they are actually better for a lighter color house. Mine is too dark with brick and the wash does work well especially when colors are moving fast. I took a couple of them to a friend’s house with light ext and it looks great. I definitely need to change out to something about 10X brighter.

On a positive note…the CCRs, RGB Strips and Strings are very bright and look good. Tomorrow should be my official run.

Kevin

hey, Riverside from Phoenix is just a quick 5hrs away.. I've been really wanting to do a road trip ;)

yeah, I can see how the Rainbow Flood colors might not look right, with the darker house paint.. :/

In regards to issue 1(the new pumpkins on the lawn with 5050 RGB's). One solution for next year might be Seasonal Entertainment's Rainbow spotlights. As seen on the thread "RGB Lawn Stakes using Rainbow Spotlights" in the My Christmas Display section. (I don't know how to link it to this reply. Sorry) It is a very similair setup. Just change the giant bulbs with pumpkins. The spotlights might be brighter than the 5050's. I'm not sure as I have not seen them side by side.

Rich

Rich wrote:

In regards to issue 1(the new pumpkins on the lawn with 5050 RGB's). One solution for next year might be Seasonal Entertainment's Rainbow spotlights. As seen on the thread "RGB Lawn Stakes using Rainbow Spotlights" in the My Christmas Display section. (I don't know how to link it to this reply. Sorry) It is a very similair setup. Just change the giant bulbs with pumpkins. The spotlights might be brighter than the 5050's. I'm not sure as I have not seen them side by side.

Rich

I think you got something there! Didnt think of that. I bought a couple of them to try out. Just need a waterproof housing. I saw the post you refer, but the housing is like a large C9 bulb. Need something small and flat..any ideas?

Ran full show tonight (my previous pre-test was one song at dusk)...DAMN those LEDs are bright! So bright that my video came out crappy. I need to toss out last years setting. Focas was off a little too. Try again tomorrow.

After the show was over, I went into the garage to disconnect the power to the controllers and it sounded like a jet was running...all the power fans for the DC boards were humming :shock:. Felt warm too, but maybe because it was freeze cold outside...CA cold weather that is. I'm glad I have them mounted in the garage cuz in a enclosure with the door shut may be trouble. Tooo hot. I took my doors off.

• 2 months later...

Hey Kevin,

You might look at this:
http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowfloodlight.htm

I think the price difference is between a single vs. double unit, and if you check out their pictures, they are pretty accurate. The only problem you might face is the backdrop it's lighting against. If yours is dark, the conflict might 'eat' a lot of the brightness. Brick does that :?

DLT... apparently Kevin KNOWS abt the RFloods, he IS using the RFloods, and he SAID he didnt like the colors on his darker house... re-read:

4. This one hurts me to say…disappointed in the Double Rainbow Floods I built. I knew I should have tested them on the house!! Kick myself for that one. Greg’s product is great and they are actually better for a lighter color house. Mine is too dark with brick and the wash does work well especially when colors are moving fast. I took a couple of them to a friend’s house with light ext and it looks great. I definitely need to change out to something about 10X brighter.