Light-O-Rama Forums

Is It Possible To Install ...

TWright

Is it possible to install S3 without getting rid of S2? Can I have S2 and S3 on the same computer? I wouldn't mind playing with S3 but it's a little late for me to learn an entirely new system for this year. :?

It's not ENTIRELY new. It does everything that S2 does, the same way as S2, just has more goodies in it that you don't have to use.

TWright wrote:

Is it possible to install S3 without getting rid of S2? Can I have S2 and S3 on the same computer? I wouldn't mind playing with S3 but it's a little late for me to learn an entirely new system for this year. :?

TW..I think you either update or you don't, as it will change what you have on the computer. It really isn't a new system to learn, in my opinion, and I'm not just saying that. Alot of the things are exactly the same. It has a better visualizer, which I was able to redo 160 channels in about 4 hours once I figured out the Mega Tree, I would have been done in 2 if I wasn't trying to make it more difficult than it was:shock: You can still do all the manual fades, chases, etc...but the grouping feature is really nice, but you don't have to use it...just my 2 cents.

So for some very specific reasons, this is a legit question and maybe we can get a more definitive answer.

One of which, sequencing vendors may need this to be compatible with thier clients and not wanting to maintain 2 computers.

TWright wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. So, if I read thevikester correctly, if I install S-3, now, I'll have to re-do the visualizer for all of my current sequences.

If you're talking about your animations, no, the Animator is still supported. We suggest using the Visualizer instead, because it's much neater, but you can continue to use the Animator (or, in fact, both).

TWright wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. So, if I read thevikester correctly, if I install S-3, now, I'll have to re-do the visualizer for all of my current sequences.

No.

The Animator (what S2 had) is also included in S3. You only have to move to the Visualizer if you want it.

Edit: Ninjaed by bob AGAIN! Bob 2, Mike 1

TWright wrote:

From the "Words mean things" department.

S2 has no visualizer. It has the animation window within the Sequence Editor.

You will not have to redo your animation.

You would, however, have to create your display from scratch if you wanted to use the visualizer.

seankovacs wrote:

We can all agree that the Animator does the same basic thing as the visualizer. Visualizer just contains easier drawing tools to get the job done.

Not true. The Visualizer does a lot more, including simulating CCD macros.

No, that is true. It's false however to trivialize the Visualizer down to just 'easier drawing tools'. It is far more than that; Enough so that people may actually want to take some additional time to use it this year.

seankovacs wrote:

We can all agree that the Animator does the same basic thing as the visualizer. Visualizer just contains easier drawing tools to get the job done.
In about the same way a broken rock, and a Swiss army knife are functionally identical.

(But the animation window is a lot more functional than a broken rock any day)

Wow, tomato, tomatoe :P

Bob, thanks for the definitive answer to the question.

I have to get more familiar with S3 now that I have a license. I am smack in the middle of updating all 2010 S2 sequences to add my new channels of which I have some RGB being used for the first time. At 550 some channels and 4 additional Tracks, I have things dialed in so the template apply goes smoothly. So while simple enough, I work for a ECAD software company and we never recommend migrating to a major new release while a project is in progress. Going from S2.9.3 to S2.9.4 is a no brainer, and maybe S3 is the same, but.........

Our company does support multiple releases of the software on the same machine. I do know that this can cause more headaches, sure, but it should be considered in the future IMHO. Thanks.

We are 99.9% sure that S3 is not going to die on you. However, I do understand why you want to tread lightly.

When you get finished, keep a back up copy of your 2.9.4 sequences, and then load up S3. If it works (and I'm sure it will), you'll be on the latest and greatest (and can start to play with the new stuff). Othewise, uninstall it and then go back to your 2.9.4 sequences.

Just don't blame me when you find out S3 would have cut your sequencing time :cool:

Mark,

Only you can decide whether to upgrade or not, but here's one of my 2011 sequences, 1 picture without, and 1 with groups. I went from 160 lines of channels, to 34 with groups in S3. As Mike said, life is so much easier with the new software,

Bill

Attached files 272134=15039-No Groups.jpg