Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring up controllers

papap

Ok have a question. I bought the kit you just have to hook up the wires. Plans are to only have led lights. So I know each controller will not have many amps on them. So I just want to wire the controller with one plugin. So do I just make a jumper from the hot jumper across to the other hot input? Do I also need to make a jumper from one set of neutrals to the other set? I know I have to for the commons.

Instead of that, get one of those 3 way plugins and do that instead of by passing there system. You warrenty could be null & void doing it that way.

papap wrote:

Ok have a question. I bought the kit you just have to hook up the wires. Plans are to only have led lights. So I know each controller will not have many amps on them. So I just want to wire the controller with one plugin. So do I just make a jumper from the hot jumper across to the other hot input? Do I also need to make a jumper from one set of neutrals to the other set? I know I have to for the commons.

Yes, as outlined in the manual on page 12.

This is a LOR approved and supported method of wiring, and it will not void any warranties.

I have mine wired this way, very convient during setup.

Didn't know that, thanks for pointing that out.

JBullard wrote:

papap wrote:

Yes, as outlined in the manual on page 12.

This is a LOR approved and supported method of wiring, and it will not void any warranties.

I have mine wired this way, very convient during setup.

P.S. Common and neutral are one and the same. So, in your post it would be "I know that I need to jumper the hots. But do I need to jumper the ________". To be filled in with either commons or neutrals.. Just a little FYI.

• 9 months later...

procured a few partially assembled ctb16pc controllers. have followed the instructions, but wanted to confirm the connection of the neutral channel wires before I plug them in to test . the instructions indicate:

"Push all white wires on the neutral terminals

grouped together at the center bottom of the

board. Keep channels 1-8 on the left-most set of

neutral terminals and channels 9-16 on the rightmost

set. This last step is important for a dual AC

power feed, especially if you are using ground

fault interrupters."

My question, is there a specific order or a specific terminal that each channel neutral needs to be to be connected or does it not matter which terminal a given neutral wire is connected so long as channel 1-8 neturals are on the left side and channels 9-16 neutrals are connected to the terminals on the right side?

Lightson- you are correct- "does not matter which terminal a given neutral wire is connected so long as channel 1-8 neutrals are on the left side and channels 9-16 neutrals are connected to the terminals on the right side"

----and it keeps the wiring neater looking and easier to trouble-shoot later if you wire that way.

Regards,

Again, that neutrals being on the left or right is only if you are using two power sources like as in two different GFIs. If the left side and right side of the board is being fed from a single input. Then both sides are common to each other. But as others have said, keeping your sides seperate does make for a neater installation and easier to troubleshoot.

There is a jumper on the board so that if you don't have much load, you can feed both sides with a single input cord.

You're limited to about 15 amps total, though.

Ken if we are talking about the PC series (plastic boxed). Then there is no jumper that I am aware of. But there are the male stake-on terminals that you can make a jumpper and then install it on the board so that both banks are powered from a single input.