Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Output Shifted +1 Channel in LOR 3.0.2

dmoore

There is a problem in LOR 3.0.2 with DMX Output. I am using a "RAW" 485 adapter for output and while it works fine with the output, it does shift the address shown in the application, say 1, to the output address of 2.

I have confirmed with other applications that the DMX controller(s) are set to the correct address. I am seeing posts on other forums indicating that other people are also seeing the same issue.

Can you confirm or let us know if there is a fix in the works?

Thanks!
David

I'm using a "generic" or "raw" FT232R based USB to 485 adapter. This same adapter works fine to output LOR protocol.

JBullard wrote:

Is this the one you sell? If so, I'll try to remember to huuk one up tonight and see what happens for me.

Yes, we provide it as a "programmer" for DMX modules we sell but it would also be great if people could use the same "dongle" to also output to a few DMX items for no additional cost. The $20 price instead of the $60 for the "same" Enttec Open controller I'm sure will help a few people out from a cost stand point.

If Dan or John, or whoever writes LOR S3 needs one of these cables to test with, just let me know and I'll send one free of charge.

Thanks,
David

I have the code that the programmer for the DMX modules that David speaks of. Unfortunately, The programmer does not adhere to the DMX or the RDM standard when outputing information. If the byte count is off, then someone is sending commands that don't adhere to the standard, ie, im-proper use of start codes or alternate start codes. The dongle might be starting this problem and where the address offset is coming from. JMHO

This is 'look', I'll keep 'send' to Dan and I for now.

look1.jpg

It is important to make proper use of dmx protocol including all codes and alternate codes. Other things can be done as well a stay within the DMX standard.

note: Dan has been sent the look and send codes output by the programmer.

Craig

When you say you have the code for the programmer... I assume you would be referring to the hardware programmer for these modules? If so, I'm aware that they don't follow E111 in the packet they output for programming the modules - though that's not what I'm worried about. We already have software that outputs this propriety code to allow for PC based programming.

These, or any other similar adapter, such as the LOR RS485 adapters don't adhere to E111/512A - they are just "dumb" adapters to put signals out onto RS485 - that's exactly why the LOR adapter can be used for DMX and the LOR protocols - the adapter themselves don't know anything about the protocol riding over RS485.

Do you by chance happen to have one of these FT2323R based adapters?

VetteNut72 wrote:

I have the code that the programmer for the DMX modules that David speaks of. Unfortunately, The programmer does not adhere to the DMX or the RDM standard when outputing information. If the byte count is off, then someone is sending commands that don't adhere to the standard, ie, im-proper use of start codes or alternate start codes. The dongle might be starting this problem and where the address offset is coming from. JMHO

This is 'look', I'll keep 'send' to Dan and I for now.

look1.jpg

It is important to make proper use of dmx protocol including all codes and alternate codes. Other things can be done as well a stay within the DMX standard.

note: Dan has been sent the look and send codes output by the programmer.

Craig

I don't think I mentioned which adapter I was using as it is a moot point. I was speaking of the programmer not adhearing to the protocol standard, maybe some dongles as well. Just offering my 2cents of a possible cause for address offsets. In any case, codes output from and DMX controller or device should adhere to the standard.

Thanks,

Craig

VetteNut72 wrote:

I don't think I mentioned which adapter I was using as it is a moot point. I was speaking of the programmer not adhearing to the protocol standard, maybe some dongles as well. Just offering my 2cents of a possible cause for address offsets. In any case, codes output from and DMX controller or device should adhere to the standard.

Thanks,
Craig

I'm confused as to what "protocol standard" needs to be adheared to? DMX? USB? RS485?

The "programmer" adapter isn't really a programmer, it's just a plain old USB to 485 adapter just like the LOR RS485 adapter is - simply a conduit from a USB interface to RS485 output.

I'm lost as to how offset of DMX could be affected since the adapter doesn't know anything about the DMX protocol. Again, same for the LOR adapter. I'm assuming you would know this having written devices that use the LOR and DMX protocols.

If you have some specific information about getting this and other common "generic" FTDI 485 adapters working properly (without the offset) with LOR S3, I sure welcome the information as there are a number of people other than me that would like to get it working.

I have one of those programs as well that I wrote.

It looks like this:

my_programmer1.jpg

The DMX protocol. It's how the handlers in the DMX devices handle DMX data that is important. By a controller, dongle or programmer not following the DMX or RDM standard, this problem of address offset could be encountered.

Yes, I have many, many products on the market now that I wrote the DMX handlers for and they have been working flawlessly for years through 3 or 4 holiday seasons with many types of equipment.

Thanks,

Craig :D

VetteNut72 wrote:

I have one of those programs as well that I wrote.
Craig :D

Is there any information you could provide that would resolve the problem at hand?

LOR People/Bob:
It is my understanding that in the beta forum there was quite a discussion on this "shifted" DMX channel and that it might not get fixed for this season?

Thanks,
David

I have changed the Start address on my Dmx controllers by adding 1. or in other words controller number one has a start address of 2 instead of 1.

It seems to be working.

Scott Keon wrote:

I have changed the Start address on my Dmx controllers by adding 1. or in other words controller number one has a start address of 2 instead of 1.

It seems to be working.

Same here - it works, it just kludgy.

So, let me make this clear. The problem is not in S3, but in the aftermarket hardware (dongles), This could also mean that protocol was not adheared to in many DMX implementations out there now. Why would LOR want to include support for a piece of hardware that does not conform to the standard? IMHO, I would get an Entec :) and use LOR software :)

Craig