Light-O-Rama Forums

Bob's Videos

bob

A user recently suggested that I make a sticky post giving links to various videos that I have made, showing features of the software and such. So, here it is. I will try to keep this list up to date as I make new videos.

• Background Effects: Shows basic use of Background Effects mode, including demonstrating that using the "Off" tool with Background Effects doesn't seem to do anything.
  • Beat Wizard: A demo of the basic use of the Beat Wizard.
  • Channel Button Colors #1: Shows the effects of the various View / Channel Button Colors settings.
  • Channel Button Colors #2: A bit more about View / Channel Button Colors, but specifically with its "Cell" setting.
  • Channel Group Effects: Shows how effect tools (such as the Fade Up tool) behave when applied to channel groups in different ways.
  • Chase: Basic use of the Chase tool.
  • Chase Fill: Shows a potentially confusing way in which the Fill tool behaves, both inside and outside of channel groups.
  • Copy and Paste: Shows a basic copy and paste between two sequences.
  • Copy via Group: A little trick to quickly copy a bunch of contiguous channels from one track to another.
  • Delete Group: A trick to quickly delete a bunch of contiguous channels.
  • DMX Universes: Shows how to configure LOR to use DMX universes.
  • Drag and Drop into Group: Shows how to move channels into a group by dragging and dropping.
  • Drag and Drop within Group: Shows how to move channels within a group by dragging and dropping, and also a trick to create a group that contains only certain channels (such as your red channels).
  • Edit Media File: Shows something you can do if your sequence can't find your song file.
  • Fade Down Up Chase: Uses the Chase, Copy/Paste Multiple, and Fill tools to make a chase of an inverted fade through an "all on" background.
  • Foreground and Background: Shows how to use "Foreground Effects" mode and "Background Effects" mode.
  • Force to On or Off via Subsequences: A trick to force a channel, or a bunch of channels, to only have "on" or "off" effects (e.g. no fades or twinkles). Warning! This trick is not guaranteed to work in future releases of the software... it's really more of an unintended side effect rather than a feature.
  • Group but Leave in Place: Shows how to take advantage of the Channel Grouping dialog's "Leave copies" option in order to make multiple channel groups listing different channels in different ways.
  • Group Parts: Shows how to make multiple channel groups that list the same channels in different ways.
  • Mirror: Uses the Chase tool to produce a simple mirror image effect.
  • Move to Group via Temporary Group: A trick for quickly moving a channel into a group that is far away from it, using a temporary group.
  • Move to Group via Temporary Group 2: Expands upon the same idea to quickly move a channel to a specific spot within a group that is far away from it.
  • Move to Group via Temporary Track: A trick for quickly moving a channel into a group that is far away from it, using a temporary track.
  • Moving Tracks and Channels: The difference between the terms "track" and "channel", and how to move each of them.
  • Multiple Clipboards: How to use more than one clipboard to copy and paste different things.
  • Negative Chase: Use the Chase and Toggle tools to make "negative" chases, including on RGB channels.
  • Random Fades: A trick to make random fades in your sequence.
  • Simulated Dual Shimmer: Using Foreground Effects, Background Effects, and the Custom tool to make a sort of interlaced fading up-and-down shimmering effect.
  • Simulated RGB Twinkle #1: Using the Toggle tool to simulate a twinkle on a set of RGB channels.
  • Simulated RGB Twinkle #2: Building on "Simulated RGB Twinkle #2" to make a simulated twinkle with color on a set of RGB channels.
  • VU Wizard: The basic use of the VU Wizard, which allows you to build sequences (or portions of sequences) that act like a VU meter would act on your stereo system.
  • What's New in LOR 3: Warning! This one is over half an hour long. And it doesn't even show everything that's new in LOR 3!
  • Windows Shell Commands: An introduction to Windows shell commands, which are a way to get LOR to tell your computer to run external programs whenever a particular sequence starts.  Warning! This one is over twenty minutes long.
Edited by bob
fix formatting for board conversion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to download these videos so I can watch them when internet is not available? Thanks!

Donny

Is it possible to download these videos so I can watch them when internet is not available? Thanks!

At least in my browser (Firefox), if you go to the directory that they are in, you can right-click on any of them, and then select "Save Link As" to save it to disk.

I imagine there are similar ways to do it in other browsers too.

Bob,

A good video to add would be how to setup a DMX adapter and universe. I have tried to explain it to a number of members with some success but these tutorials just make things so much easier to understand.

Thanks Jeff

jeffl wrote:

Bob,

A good video to add would be how to setup a DMX adapter and universe. I have tried to explain it to a number of members with some success but these tutorials just make things so much easier to understand.

Thanks Jeff

+1. I would love to see that one myself.

I too just watched most of the videos. I've done most of my sequences with just on/off's, twinkles, and some ramps. Now that I understand some of the other tools I can play when I'm bored. Thanks Bob!

Thank You! Wonderful additions. I especially like having the voice narration. It adds a tremendous amount of detail to the videos.