Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer via LAN

gizmomkr

I have has the software installed for all of about 30 seconds, but it looks like visualizer and sequence editor talk over lan...

I didnt try it yet, but it looks like I can run those two piece on two totally different computers.

Or even across a wan link / internet.

It looks like the port is static... probably TCP...

Wow NEAT!.

Yes, it will run across a Lan, and we have demonstrated it a couple of times. In fact if you know a little about port forwarding and networking, it will run across the Internet as well. (FYI: It uses UDP and only 1 port needs to be opened since the data flow is only in 1 direction -- INTO the Visualizer)

But please remember that the visualizer is DATA intensive when talking with the Sequence Editor/Show Runner/etc... It is VERY easy to start loosing data across the link.

While you can do it it's also not officially supported. If you can get it to work, great. Otherwise you'll have to put it back to local.

Remote Visualization!!!! This is super cool guys, Thanks! I don't know how I will use this, but I really, really want it.

More video proof that it works...

One of the uses we see for remote simulation is to allow people to put up a monitor in their display, and control it as part of the display.

For example, you could draw a bunch of different things on a visualizer, and then put a big-screen TV in your window with a computer attached. The Vis can then accept commands from your show computer via the Lan.

Obviously, this isn't something for the faint of heart to do. You'll have to remember that the Vis will consume a large amount of bandwidth on your network, so you probably won't be watching Netflix while your show is running. But the ability to do it is there if you dare.

During development, I was actually sending the data across the Internet to my parents house 35 miles away. You'll have to know something about networking (opening ports, port forwarding, etc) to do it. There's also NO way you are going to sync to music across the internet, since there will be delays in the 100's of ms or more, but it does work.

And while it's available to use, we really don't support it. There is simply too much to go wrong for us to diagnose every network setup.

This gives me an idea and a wish list item.

I use video in my display. It would be cool to be able to set up the SE to show the LOR Visualizer in some sequences. Hmmm......

Right now the 'video preferences' are: 'display video', 'display audio visualizations', 'use full screen mode'. Since these preferences all have to do with windows media player, I would imagine my idea will not ever happen.

Off to think about this some more and find another way to make it happen.

I would need it to show video sometimes, show audio visualizations sometimes, and now show the LOR visualizer sometimes..........Hmmmm......

• 3 weeks later...

With remote simulation (such as another PC adjacent to my main one), will you also be able to view it on the local main computer as well (Thus creating a dual simulation)?

Now let me push the envelope a bit.:D

Now if only SE could optionally send a UDP audio stream that Vis could play. One could then have a computer indoors displaying what's going on outdoors with sound.

Shouldn't be a syncing issue although you could end up with a few dropped packets but really a 100Mb network should be able to handle is with ease.

• 4 years later...

OK, so I see that this is not officially supported.  Nonetheless, I would like to try and get it to work, but so far have been unsuccessful.  I would consider myself to be pretty adept at computers, LOR, and networking.  Perhaps someone can tell me what I've overlooked...

The machine that plays the shows is an old Dell Laptop in the garage, on the LAN at 192.168.7.15.  I'd like to be able to open the visualizer on my main desktop machine in the bedroom to just check the status every now and then.  It's at address 192.168.7.7.  The whole network is hard wired.  The ethernet does pass thru 3 switches between the garage and bedroom, but note that I said switches, not routers, and no NAT or other translation is taking place.  The machines can directly ping each other, share files, and run remote desktop without a problem.  The entire LAN is gigabit.

Control Visualizer is turned on in the LOR control panel and in the Sequence Editor on the laptop.  I added a windows firewall rule on the bedroom machine to allow UDP port 30303 through and to send it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama\Visualizer.exe.  Windows firewall normally allows all outbound traffic without restriction, but after not being able to get it to work, I added an outbound rule on the laptop specifically allowing UDP port 30303 through.  LOR software is version 3.1.12

Visualizer works fine locally, on the laptop.  But remotely, on the bedroom machine, nothing happens.

Suggestions???

It does work.  I was doing it last year (I think).  I'll have to poke at it to see how I did it.  In my case I can get sound too, but not over the LAN.  Until last year my show computer was in my family room right next to the sequencing computer.  The audio came out of the show computer and went to a sound mixes that sent the audio to the FM transmitter and also the amplifiers for the yard speakers.  The mixer also has a control room monitor so I can either plug headphones into that or amplified speakers.  This year, the show computer moved out to a data cabinet in the garage.  The audio now runs through about 50 feet of cable to get to the sound mixer, but I can still monitor the same way as before.